Thursday, September 27, 2007

Drinks, That's All It Is

My night out with Cary couldn't have gotten off to worse start! Devon snooping in my night stand drawer to find my day timer to see where I was going? I was so pissed off! He didn't even respect me enough to give me some privacy! I wanted to go after him and find out what his problem was but if I did that we would probably fight and I wasn't in the mood to fight with him anymore. I hated fighting! I had to listen to my parents fight for years, it wasn't my idea of a good time!!

I headed off to DW's not longer after Devon left, I was determined to have a good time despite him.

Cary was already at a table when I got there and he was facing the front door so he saw me come in. And I saw the flash of desire in his eyes as I came to stand in front of him when he stood to pull out my chair for me.

Yes, it did make me feel good!! Doesn't every woman want to know that they are looking great when they go out? It doesn't mean that I want to jump him or anything!! I swear!

No, I don't care how many Abercrombie and Fitch ads he seemed to belong too in his khaki cargo shorts and gray with white strip shirt - both showing off his tanned, muscular arms and legs - nor did I care that he was wearing the cologne that I picked out for him just after he asked me to marry him.

No, I didn't want to jump him...

...although, I did think about it.

"Hello Janie," he gave me a one armed hug before motioning to my outfit. "You look amazing tonight."

"Thank you," I blushed as I sat down in the chair he held out for me. "You look good too."

He thanked me and took his seat again. "I took the liberty of ordering us a couple drinks; I got you the blue drink that you like so much."

It didn't surprise me that he would order our drinks, it was something he always did when we were together and I really liked it. Not because he was taking control or anything because the drinks were the only thing he ever ordered for me. No, I liked that he was that thoughtful, I liked that he had the foresight to plan ahead.

Some thing that Devon failed to do on many occasions. I mean, how hard is it to plan what we'll be doing if you asked me out? And plans to sit at home and make out aren't what I'm talking about either!!

Our drinks came shortly after I arrived. "Good timing," I said when the waitress had left.

"Well," he smiled at me. "I did ask for them to come just after you were seated."

There was something about his smile that just pulled me in. Maybe it was the dimples, maybe it was the fact that it was always lopsided or maybe, just maybe it was the way his whole face lit up. Whatever it was, his smile was dangerous and so was the fact that once he smiled, I started to remember the good times with him.

I grabbed my glass and took a drink.

"Hey, hey!" Cary reached for my glass. "Go easy on that hun," he said in his slow, sexy drawl. "You know how quickly that stuff goes to your head." I return the glass to it's drink coaster. "That's better. Now, how are things with you? How is work?"

I work as a receptionist, I find it enjoyable but it's not really that exciting to talk about but since Cary knew most of the people I work with, it was nice to talk to someone about the issues I was having with some of the staff. Cary hung on every word as if I were telling him the meaning of life. That kind of attention can make a girl's head spin!!

"What about you?" I asked when I finally finished talking about work. "The last time we spoke, you were applying for school, did you get into that cooking program?"

"At Sait?" He shook his sadly. "I missed the deadline for this year but I have applied for next winter." I told him I was sorry to hear that but he didn't seem too upset. "No worries, I've already applied for next Winter, hopefully I get in. It's a high demand program, so we'll see. In the meantime, I'll continue to work at the restaurant." He took a drink from his mug of beer. "Oh! Did I tell you that Manny quit?" I shook my head. "Well he did, last week, Terry told me if I wanted some extra kitchen shifts they were mine! I'm stoked!"

"Wow, that's great for you!"

"Yeah, I couldn't believe my luck! To be in the same kitchen as Paulette? To watch her work? It's like dream come true!"

"Will she teach you some of her tricks? Is she ok with you being in there?" From what I remember of Paulette, she was very bitching when she wanted to be. And look out if you sent back anything because it wasn't cooked the way you wanted it.

"I'm on her good side," he grinned. "We got to talking one night after we closed, I told her about my goal and she seemed willing to help me pick up a think or two. It'll be great."

We talked more about his career choice and the subject soon changed to whether or not we would order some food to go with our drinks. "It's not Paulette's cooking by no means," he joked as he picked up the menu from the stand on the table. "But the food is pretty good here."

"Yeah..." I reached for a menu too.

"What's wrong?"

"Wrong?" I told him I didn't know what he was talking about.

"No?" He closed his menu. "Did you need to go?"

"No."

"Were you waiting for someone to show up?"

"No."

"Well then why do you keep looking towards the door? Am I boring you?"

I wasn't going to tell him about Devon but I found myself spilling it. I told him how Devon found my day timer and I was afraid that he would show up.

"Isn't that the idea?"

"What?" I stared at him. "Is what the idea?"

"Why you asked me out here tonight, wasn't it so Devon would find out, show up, see us together and get jealous?"

My jaw dropped.

"Wasn't it?" He asked again, this time a little hesitantly.

"No!" I couldn't believe he thought I would use him like that.

"Then why did you ask me to meet you Janie?"

"Because," I returned the menu I was looking at to its holder and grabbed my bag. "I wanted to see you," I told him. "I hated how I screwed things up with you, it wasn't right."

"No," he agreed. "You screwing around with Devon when we were engaged was very wrong."

"I'm sorry. I know that doesn't change what happened but Cary, I really am sorry about that."

"So?" He glanced at his menu for a second before looking up at me. "You wanted me meet up to tell me you were sorry?"

"No!" I groaned, I wasn't being clear at all. "I miss you Cary," the second I said it, he perked up. "Oh," I groaned again. "I mean, I miss doing stuff with you. I really enjoyed spending time with you." His shoulders slumped and I felt like a bitch. "I guess I wanted us to be friends but if you don't think you could be my friend then..." I didn't know what else to say, I started to get up. "I'm sorry Cary."

I started to walk away but I didn't get pass the first couple tables. "Wait Janie," Cary's hand curled around my elbow and he turned me to face him. "I would like that."

Devon didn't show up at DW's at all while I was there with Cary; we were there until midnight.

In the week that has pasted since that night, I've hung out with Cary twice both times we met at the restaurant and ended up at one of his co-workers house for a couple drinks.

Devon hasn't said a word about me hanging out with Cary nor has he changed anything he does.

I guess you could say that things are pretty normal around here.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to think Devon sounded like a great guy, he seemed to really show how much he loved Janie and tried really hard to get her back. Now that they are back together, I wonder if he thinks he doesn't have to work at their relationship anymore. I think he's taking her for granted. Cary on the other hand, now he is someone who I'd like to see janie fall for.

Carmel Beauty said...

I was on Devon side for a while too now I just think either he gets it together or you need to move on cause he sucks but cary on the other hand sounds awesome

Anonymous said...

I agree..Devon wanted her back badly and then after treats her like crap. If he can see Kelly, she can see Cary.

Wonder what the outcome will be? I see trouble brewing...

Anonymous said...

Wow. Devon seems like the Devon we met in the very beginning who tried to break up Amber & Reed. If I hadn't have seen the "good" side he showed a little of with Amber, at the daycare, etc. Interesting.

Stacey

Anonymous said...

I think it's great that Cary and Janie are going to be friends. I'm hoping Cary's friendship will show Janie that the way Devon has gone back to treating her is wrong, and tell her she needs to stand up for herself. Hearing that from a guy and getting insight into how Devon might be thinking is just what Janie needs.

Anonymous said...

I used to be team Devon too, but he's screwing up big time. He better fix it or he's gonna lose Janie.

Vikki said...

Sorry, I hit the wrong button. The last comment was mine.

Anonymous said...

My question is how long were Janie and Cary together? I thought the engagement was really quick. It seems like he knows her really well for someone who only met her a short time ago. But then again, maybe the timeline is quicker than I thought.

Anonymous said...

I don't think Devon and Janie even know how to have a healthy relationship with each other. First, Janie was the "other woman" all throughout Devon's engagement to Kelly/Annette. Neither one of them was ever satisfied with THAT arrangement, but neither one would do anything to remedy it. Then Janie gets engaged to Carey, but isn't really satisfied with that relationship b/c Devon is trying to "win" her back, so again, they mess around with each other w/o thinking of the consequences of who they could be hurting.

I'm all for great sex, but I think these 2 are mistaking passion/lust for love. They don't seem to particularly like each other, but they don't want to see each other with other ppl. When they are together, they TRY to hurt one another, Probably thinking if they can get a reaction out of the other, it means they still "care". How f***ed up is that?!

The drama is so good, I love your blogs Angela!

Carolyn

Lady said...

Don't forget though, Devon and Janie used to date back before Amber had Alexis, back when Amber and Reed were together in the beginning. So they were in a real relationship before but they broke up and then started seeing each other after he was with Kelly. Now they are supposedly back together.

I think they need to REALLY take time to see if they really wanna be together or if they were just testing the waters again. Something is not right about their relationship.

Lynn said...

I agree something is not "healthy" about their relationship. They both need to grow up. But Cary did seem to put Janie higher on his list of priorities, where I'm questioning if Janie has even registered on Devons radar screen as a priority. Devon needs to start putting first things first!

The Middle Child said...

Things may not have changed but something's brewing....

Anonymous said...

Hey, can anyone give me some other diaries to read inbetween this one posting? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

"Whatmyheartdesires.blogspot.com is way way good and loads of posts and fun, sensual, exciting, drama etc. Awesome blog and will take awhile to read as each post is definately long. The writer, Hope, has hundreds of readers..

Happy reading!

Anonymous said...

Cary never did anything wrong and he loved Janie....Devon is just an idiot and doesn't deserve her. Not THEN and not NOW. He sure played the part of the brokenhearted b/f tho

Anonymous said...

Try Angela's other blogs if you haven't checked them out yet:

neverhadtoknockonwood.blogspot.com
viewfromthischair.blogspot.com

cosmopolitan's "bedroom blog" is good, but the posts will be regular one month and really sporadic the next.

redbook magazine's "diary of e" and "diary of he" are good too.

Linda got me hooked on whatmyheartdesires.blogspot.com, it's awesome!

Enjoy!

Carolyn

Anonymous said...

I really don't think Devon is a jerk. I don't like their relationship but I really feel the person we saw at the daycare and Amber is the true Devon. There are just those who bring out the worst in you and I think Janie is that for him. I don't have a lot of respect for Janie after what she did to Amber, even though Devon told her to do the email thing. She knew she wasn't protecting Amber. I think she was jealous that Reed was so willing to fight for Amber.

I could go on forever. I love these blogs...the drama!!

Becka

Anonymous said...

Carolyn,

There are a few stories she writes when you are finshed with Hope's.