Monday, October 15, 2007

It Should Be A Good Thing!

I was sitting in the middle of DWs last night with Cary, debating whether or not we were going to play a game of pool or just sit and hang out when my cell phone rang. "It's Devon," I told him after looking at the caller id before flipping my phone open.

The waitress came by to see if we needed anything else as I said 'hello', Cary asked for another drink for the both of us.

"I take it that was Cary," was the first thing Devon said to me.

"Wow, it's nice to hear your voice too," I replied sarcastically.

Devon ignored it. "I had hoped that you would be free to come join me for a few hours now that I'm home but I guess there's no chance of that now."

I wanted to join him but I'll be damned if the way he said that made me angry. "Well would you blame me?" I asked him. "It's not like you are making it sound like you really want me there."

The waitress bought our drinks, which surprised me, I had forgotten that Cary was sitting across from me. My stomach turned when I looked up to find him staring at me, with a smile on his face.

I didn't want him to be smiling! I wanted him to mind his own business. And yes, I did want to see Devon but damn it! I'm stubborn!

"Why don't you come down here?" I challenged him.

"Hell no!" He snapped. "I'm not in the mood to see that little pissant or to watch you flirt with him. I'm tired and I want to relax in my own home, with my girl. Do you think that's possible?"

"Not with the way you are talking to me, it's not." Inside I was singing from hearing him say I was his girl.

"Janie," he groaned. "Please come over."

"I just got a new drink," I told him. "It would be rude for me to leave it without attempting to drink it." I really didn't care about the drink but those words were ones I heard from him a number of times when we had dated before.

"Fine," he sighed. "I'm going to bed." Click.

"Fucker," I snapped my phone closed.

"Something wrong?" Cary sounded concerned but the look in his eyes didn't match his voice.

"No," I grabbed my purse. "I have to go," I told him as I slipped out of the booth we've been occupying for the last couple hours.

"Have to?" He stood with me. "Devon demanding you leave at once and glue yourself to his side?"

"No!" I glared at him. "Devon doesn't tell me what to do! I want to go, it's getting late and I have to work in the morning."

Cary glanced at his watch. "It's only nine Janie."

"I know," I told him. "Just don't ask, I want to go home."

"Ok," he grabbed my jacket and held it up for me to slip into. "If you ever need to talk," he said as he helped me into my jacket. "Just give me a call, I'll listen."

"Things are fine Cary," I flashed him a smile.

"Are they really?" He slipped his jacket on as I nodded. "Ok," he motioned towards the front. "If you say so but I have to tell you, I'm starting to wonder because you spend an awful lot of time with me."

I didn't say anything to that, I knew it was true, I have been spending a lot of time with him. I hate to admit it but I was doing it because he was doing something Devon wasn't, he was paying attention to me, showing me that he really liked spending time with me.

I left DW's last night with the plan to go straight home but once I got on the road, I found myself driving to Devon's place.

The whole time it took me to drive to his place and walk to his front door, I rehearsed what I would say to him.

But ten minutes later, I wanted to scream and cry because I was still standing on his door step waiting for him to answer his door. He never came to the door, he didn't answer his phone when I called him either.

And his car was sitting in front of the building.

I cried myself to sleep last night. I told myself that I deserved it if he was snuggling up with another woman already, I certainly wasn't giving him an signs that he would be snuggling up to me anytime soon.

I know everyone thinks I'm nuts for my behaviour when it comes to Devon but damn it let's face it, he's never been faithful to a woman in his entire life and he hasn't lowered that wall around his heart to let me in enough to feel that I really mean something to him.

I don't want to play this game with him. I don't want to be hurt again. I know I'm holding him at arm's lenght and waiting for him to show me a reason not too is probably getting in the way of whatever happiness I could have with him.

I'm scared....oh...hold on a second, I have a delivery.

OH MY FREAKING GOD! You all should see the bouquet of flowers I have sitting on my desk at the moment! OH MY GOD!

Yes, I'm at work, it was a boring day so I decided to post here to kill some time.

The flowers, I love them. I was going to call Devon to tell him I loved them but Joey stopped me, she found the card that came with them. "You didn't see Devon last night, did you?" She's my closest friend at work, I told her about my night when I came in this morning.

"No, why?"

"I don't think you want to be calling him then," she cleared her throat and read the card. "Thank you for last night."

"What??" I ripped the card from her hands. "Noway, these have to be from Devon! Cary wouldn't..." I read the words and my heart dropped. "No," I sunk back into my chair. "What have I done?"

Joey has gone out to run an errand and I just spent the last couple minutes staring at the beautiful bouquet of white & pink roses, nestled in a bed of baby's breath and mauve lilacs. I wanted so badly for these flowers to be from Devon, I went online to look up the meanings of all of them.

Let's just say, according to the site I looked at...I think Joey is right, Devon couldn't have sent them....

Roses - white & pink....I love you still and always will...
Lilac, mauve...do you still love me?
Baby's Breath...happiness

Damn it! damn it! DAMN IT!

I think I'm in trouble here.

17 comments:

Janie said...

What would you do if you got flowers from a guy who wasn't your boyfriend?

I've never been in that situation before...then again, I've never gotten flowers before either. I think I've 'dated' the wrong men! ~l~

Angela

Melissa Robinson said...

ummm I dont know! I would be shocked. I really hate devon right now, but cary seems too cheesy for me!

MonkeySpeak said...

I would tell cary it wasn't appropriate. I appreciated his friendship but if he couldnt leave it at that then we shouldn't be seeing each other - regardless of what was going on with my personal life. Cary can't handle a friendship, flowers make it obvious, and even if he did have a chance hes not timing it right! You wait until the girl comes to you and tell syou its over, you don't force her into an uncomfortable situation.

Gotta say i really like how "janie" is interacting on the posting section and asking questions

angela, i havent either, lol. i understand!!!
sorry i think i called u anna in another post btw. hahaha. i get confused.

Devon needs to wise up, i think hes just making honest guy mistakes, and i think janie is so scared of getting hurt she may be blowing up issues that sort of arent there. i mean they are but she may be blowing it up a bit more than it is? she and d need to communicate. im in a similar position where im doing everything i can not to push an amazing guy out the door because of my trust issues and im just lucky he understands what im going through - devon needs to be more understanding and do sweet little things to show janie he means it... a girl can only tell a a guy so many times she is unhappy or feels neglected before she walks.

Anonymous said...

I haven't ever gotten flowers from the wrong guy but it reminded me of a funny story.

In high school we had a Sadie Hawkins dance (girls ask the guys). Another girl with my same name called up and asked my "new" boyfriend to go and he said YES, thinking it was me!!! LOL He had to call her and gently let her off the hook, poor guy.

Sorry, I just had to share that story.
~M

Anonymous said...

LOL! Mookie that's a great story!! You're boyfriend totally did the right thing in letting the "other mookie" down! :-)

As for what would I do if I got flowers from another guy? Well, at that point, I'd have to decide which guy I really wanted in my life. I'd also have to decide if I want to risk my heart or not. If I'm not ready to risk my heart, I'd probably let both of them go, even if it's really hard. If I take a chance on one of the guys; I'd come clean to the one I wanted to be with, and break it off completely with the other one. Obviously, feelings would be fresh enough that a platonic relationship really wouldn't be possible.

Ah hell, I dunno. It's so clear cut when I'm NOT in that situation. Things get alot more muddled and difficult when emotions come into play. The above is what I HOPE I'd do, but nothing is ever certain.

Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Where does Janie work?

ctiger said...

Wow flowers from Cary. And the meaning. Oh so much drama.......i love it. As for what to do? How do you feel about Cary besides that he gives you the attention that you want? And by the words on the card he makes it sound like something great happened last night. Was there something i missed? As for Devon he is being a spoiled rotten jerk just cause you aren't at his beck and call and that isn't right. If he doesn't make it CLEAR what he wants before last minute then i wouldn't stay around and wait on him either. He just assumes you are going to do whatever he wants. Stand up for yourself and your feelings. If you don't it will never get any better.

Chris

The Middle Child said...

You play with fire, you're gonna get burned!

Anonymous said...

I have received flowers at work from a guy NOT my boyfriend---and it scared me! I realized that while I was using him (as a friend) not to be alone, his feelings and mine were completely different. Janie should think about that......

Vikki said...

I agree that Janie needs to let Cary know that the flowers aren't acceptable, but devon is really being a tool. She needs to get rid of Devon, let Cary know that she's not interested in him that way anymore and start dating the guy from Amber's job.

But that's just how I feel about it :^)

Anonymous said...

he probably didn't answer the door or his phone becase he was in bed... like he said that he would be.

And it's janies fault for leading on her ex, seriously, this girl is so freaking dumb it actually hurts. She could take some cues from Amber for common sense.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Vikki - get rid of both! I have to tell you something FUNNY! When her friend first asked her if she spent the night w/Devon - I was thinking that Devon "accidently" sent them to Janie instead of the girl he was with! That would be B A D!!!!

Stacey

Anonymous said...

I am sorry but is it really a surprise that you received flowers from Cary?! Come one, you two were engaged and not long after you break up the engagement you keep hanging out as if you were dating. Janie is sending mixed signals and its quite obvious she is leading Cary on whether she means to or not. So stop hanging out with him, you two need space. You can't be engaged to a person one second and then expect to be platonic best friends the next, thats just stupid

Anonymous said...

stop leading cary on janie! and stop using him!...if u arent happy with devon leave him and i agree with vikki..date colin!

Joy said...

I think Jaine needs to make her mind and just stick with it! Great post!

Mehreen said...

The only non-boyfriend male I have received flowers from is my gay best friend and my father, no ulterior motives there! The flowers are very sweet, but I have no respect for Cary because he let Janie walk all over him during the engagement and now he's letting her string him along now. Devon needs to stop being such an ass, Janie deserves better, go to Colin!

Anonymous said...

I gotta agree with the others: Cary is a pushover and shame on Janie for basically walking all over him. I'm sure she likes him, but she likes the ATTENTION he gives her more than anything else.

Team COLIN!!