Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Let Me Know - It Won't Hurt, I Promise

Last Sunday Reed told me that he was going golfing with Sean and that we would meet up at the club for lunch. After I posted the last entry here, Alexis and I went down to the club. We arrived about twenty minutes early so I figured that we would sit overlooking the course until it was time to meet the guys for lunch.

As we made our way up the staircase to the observation area we ran into some of my father's friends, I stopped to talk to them for a couple minutes before telling them what Alexis and I were heading off to do.

"Amber my dear, I haven't seem Reed all morning," one of them told me. "Are you sure he was playing here? Not many people have been out on the course today, it's getting too cold to golf."

"I'm pretty certain that's what he said."

"Well maybe he snuck by us," one joked as they moved on down the stairs.

We made our way up the rest of the stairs and to the observation room where I gazed out over the course but I couldn't see much activity on the course. We sat there for a couple minutes before making our way back down and out to the Jeep so that I could give Reed a call. I tried him a couple times but each time there was no answer. I was a little upset. I wondered why on earth he would tell me he was going to be at the club when he wasn't.

Ten minutes later I was still sitting in the Jeep, debating going home and waiting for him to call or show up, when I saw his car pull into a parking space three spots down and one over from where I was. I sat back in my seat with my arms crossed as I watched Sean and him get out and head towards the club.

They had to pass right in front of the Jeep on their way to the club. They were so into whatever they were talking about that they didn't see me - at first. They had just passed the Jeep when Sean stopped dead in his tracks, glanced over his shoulder as he spoke to Reed, who spun around with a guilty look on his face.

"How was the game?" I asked him when he opened the driver's door.

"It was damn cold," he exclaimed with a smile. "We decided to head down to the mall for a game of mini gold instead." I remained still and silent. "Amber," he pouted as he tugged on my arms that were still crossed over my chest. "Please don't be upset."

I closed my eyes and sighed. "Why didn't you give me a call to let me know? We could've just met there and had lunch."

He raised a brow, "I didn't want to interrupt your cuddling time with my pillow?" He leaned in and grinned, "Did you keep some loving for me?"

I laughed, "You'll just have to find out when you get home," I told him as I turned to get out of the Jeep. "Alexis is hungry," I giggled when his arms came around my waist and he nuzzled my neck.

"Oh ok," he groaned as he released me. "But we'll finish this later!"

And oh boy did we! We both slept really well Sunday night - so well that we were both later getting up for work on Monday!

I got off the phone with my mother a few minutes before I started this post and I'm still shaking my head at the conversation.

"Hello Amber," she greeted me when I answered the phone. "I was just checking over the guest list that Elsa prepared for this weekend and I was shocked that neither Reed nor you name was on the list. Why is that Amber?"

I frowned, Elsa was my mother's 'aide' - why my mother needed an 'aide' was beyond me but I just went along with it. "Well mother, it's probably because I don't know what is supposed to be going on for me to have my name on the list."

"Why it's your father's birthday AmberLynn! Surely you didn't forget!"

I didn't, but I didn't remember it either, if that makes sense. "I didn't know you were having a party for him," I told her. "You didn't tell me about it."

"I did," she stated. "I sent out the invitations to your father's party weeks ago Amber, you should have gotten one."

"Mom, I didn't."

"Well you should have," she sounded upset. "Please tell me that you and Reed will be here? Your father would be very upset if you weren't."

"I'm sure we could rearrange any plans we had to make it to the party mom, I just wish you would've mentioned it to me before this."

"I sent an invitation," she told me and added, "Everyone else got theirs and replied."

I could've stood there with the phone to my ear all day, telling her that I didn't get the invitation but what was the point? I sighed, "Mom we'll be there but next time you have a party, would you please call me and tell me instead of sending me an invitation?"

It's not a difficult concept, mentioning the party to me in one of the many calls she makes to me in a week but she didn't. I know she didn't, I would've remembered. So that makes me wonder if this party was a last minute change of plans on their end, which is more likely than her never mentioning it to me at all.

Sucky thing is, Reed may not be too happy that he's got to dress up and socialize with my parents' friends, people he works with or some of the clients he has to deal with daily. But it's not like we can get out of it, it's my father's birthday. I may not have the best relationship with him but I'm not about to snub him on his birthday.


Well I'm off to work.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Reed may be setting Amber up for a proposal...at least I hope so!

Anonymous said...

Hmm, what is going on with Reed. It doesn't seem like him not to keep Amber in the loop as to what he is doing. As well as the missing party invite? Where did it go, did Reed intercept the mail and not tell Amber about it?

Anonymous said...

i also think that is why reed is being so sneaky....he got the ring!...that is why he said that he went to the mall!

Anonymous said...

Hmm I wonder if the party is a cover so Reed can propose to Amber in front of their families?

Anonymous said...

I agree with all of you, he's either planning a proposal or maybe even a wedding? WOO HOO!!!

GG

Anonymous said...

If Reed is planning something, I hope it's a proposal and not a full-on wedding! I would love to read about Amber's wedding prep (especially the dress buying!!)

Anonymous said...

Yep - seems we all agree! Do you think Amber's mom is that good? About the lost invitation? I love my mommy, but she could NEVER pull that one off!

Stacey

Vikki said...

I'm with you guys. I think he and Sean were getting stuff ready for a surprise proposal.

And Ashley, I was thinking the same thing about the party, or maybe Reed got the invite and started planning then forgot to rsvp them.

Can't wait to find out!!!

Melissa Robinson said...

or (to play devils advocate) maybe Reed is up to something bad! or Sean is...bom bom ba!

Anonymous said...

he prob. went engagement ring shopping