Monday, November 26, 2007

No Time Bombs Allowed

This past weekend my soon to be in laws renewed their wedding vows in a beautifully decorated room at the clubhouse.

The one thing that surprised me about the ceremony was the fact that it was a very intimate affair. I expected Lucinda to have invited everyone under the sun and their offspring but she didn't, she kept it very private. Besides Sean, Reed, me and Alexis only Reed's grandmother and a handful of relatives and close family friends were on the guest list. There may have been thirty people tops in the room and that was almost too many if you were standing along side Lucinda as she waited for the ceremony to start.

"I'm so nervous," she giggled like a little school girl. "You would think this is the first time I stood before everyone and pledge my love for that man."

I smiled, "Well it is the first time your boys got to see you do it."

"My boys," she sighed happily. "I'm so glad Sean is here to share this day with us. I just wish he would've let me set him up with someone, I don't like that he's alone. I want him to know the happiness that his father and brother both feel."

"Don't worry about Sean," I told her. "I'm sure he has plenty of women he can choose from, after all he is a Johnson."

"Why AmberLynn!" Lucinda gasped as she turned to stare at me. "I do believe those stars in your eyes have blinded you to the dislike you felt for my family."

I shrugged, "What happened is in the past Lucinda, why dwell on it? Reed loves me and he wants to spend his life with me, why shouldn't I be happy to be apart of his family? I thought that all issues we had with each other have been resolved, was I wrong?"

"Of course not!" She gave me a hug. "Roger and I are very happy that you and Reed are moving forward. Why just the other night, Roger told me that he hoped you two didn't wait too long to have another grandchild, he swore he would do right by you two the next time around." She smiled, "I just think he wants more babies running around, these last couple days he has spent with Alexis has really softened him - he's been trying to get her to call him 'papa' but she looks around the room every time he says it.

"She is looking for my dad," I told her. "He's 'papa' to her. We'll have to come up with some other name for him for her to use."

Lucinda seemed a little disappointed but what could I do? It took too long for him to come around, I wasn't going to confuse Alexis and insist on her calling Roger 'papa' when she associated that word with my dad.

During the ceremony, I was seated between Reed and Sean. Alexis was seated on my lap at the beginning, she was playing 'peekaboo' with Uncle Sean and giggling but soon that wasn't enough, she wanted to be up with him. It was so cute to see Sean holding her, he looked a little unsure of what he was doing but she looked really happy to be up with him.

I managed to hold it together for most of the ceremony, even though I was picturing Reed and I up there instead of his parents. When Lucinda and Roger were reciting the vows they wrote for each other, I started to tear up. I didn't think I was going to cry until Reed wrapped his arms around me.

"Soon that will be us," he whispered. "I can't wait for that day either, I want to tell the world how much I love you." He paused as his lips brushed my cheek. "I already have an idea what I want to say to you that day my love."

"You do?" I was surprised, the date we had tossed around wasn't for another 8 months, how could be possibly know what he wanted to say.

"Mmmhmm," he nodded. "I've known for a while what I wanted to say to you on the happiest day of our lives."

"What is it?"

He chuckled, "I can't tell you now Amber, you aren't wearing white or standing in front of a priest."

"I could fix that," I told him as I pretended to move to get up. He laughed and held me tight. "Ok," I sighed, "I guess I can wait."

In all, the ceremony and reception that followed went off as perfectly as Lucinda had planned. The only part of the night that had the potential to get out of hand happened just after the ceremony. Reed and I were standing with Sean when Devon came up to speak with us, he didn't get 'hello' out before Sean mentioned Janie.

"I hear you two broke up," he stated. "What happened?"

Devon, obviously taken back by the question, stared at Sean for a few seconds before calmly telling him to mind his own business and not to believe everything he hears. "Janie and I aren't done."

I'm not sure what Sean was trying to do when he asked about Janie, he wouldn't tell Reed or I when we asked but since Janie told me what happened with him the day she sprained her ankle, I was starting to wonder if Sean had his sights set on Janie.

And if he did, what did that mean? Would he really pursue someone who is clearing mixed up about what she's looking for in a relationship? What would happen if they did date? Would it drive a wedge between Devon and Reed, would it ruin their friendship?

I like all three of them - Sean, Janie and Devon - it's hard to know that there is a potential for something to happen, something to go wrong and not do anything to try and stop it.

But that's what I'm going to do - nothing. I get the feeling that getting mixed up in whatever could happen with them won't turn out well for me or Reed. I don't wish for anything to ruin Reed and I, we deserve the happiness we feel right now.

I just hope everyone else can find the same happiness we feel...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just stay out of it, you can't control everything Amber. Janie is a grown woman, let her live her life the way she wants as long as she doesn't hurt anyone. Step in only if her relationship w/Sean is effecting yours w/Reed.

Anonymous said...

Our "Little" Amber is growing up and deciding to mind her own business!

Stacey

Anonymous said...

whats up with sean?!?!
good for u amber, minding ur own business...we'll see how long that lasts tho:P lol

Anonymous said...

I'm so torn! I love reading about drama, but I don't want anything bad to happen between Amber and Reed!!

What to do, what to do?!

Mehreen said...

Sean should not be needling Devon on such a happy day. I'm glad Amber decided to stay out of it, she & Reed can stay in their bliss bubble a little while longer!

ctiger said...

Yes i believe it is better if you stay out of it and let whatever happens happen. It will be the best thing for you and Reed. I think Sean and Janie would be a great new twist in the story. Great post. I love that Lucinda and Roger renewed their vowes and they are all happy happy!

Chris

Vikki said...

Good Idea Amer!! Stay out of it. Be there for Janie when she needs you, but don't get involved. That just spells diaster for EVERYONE.

Good post. I love the relationship Reed & Amber have. They are so sweet with eachother.

Vikki said...

oops Amber! Now I'm talking like Jess :^ )

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THIS BLOG, contrary to the voting, this is the best one, please don't end it....

Anonymous said...

Please do not end the blog like this!

Carmel Beauty said...

This blog is great!