Friday, March 16, 2007

Confusion Is The Name Of The Game

I have been up since 7 this morning. Alexis woke up a little disoriented about where she was, she cried and cried until I appeared over her crib, which was a relief to me, I was kind of worried that she wouldn't stop crying if she only saw me. I know, again I'm getting ahead of myself.

Yesterday, after I let Reed into my apartment, I immediately went for the phone to call my parents to give them hell for sending Reed to pick us up.

"Hey there," Reed walked over to the couch where Alexis was sitting in her car seat, ready to go for a car ride. She was excited about the car ride because we didn't go on that many, I didn't have a car.

"Stay away from her!" I hissed at him. He looked over his shoulder at me and had the nerve to smile. "I mean it!"

"Chill darling, I'm not going to hurt her." Reed smiled at Alexis who was waving her arms at him and bouncing in her seat. He watched her for a moment and then turned back to me, "You know I think she knows who I am."

"No she doesn't." I snapped, knowing that wasn't true. Ever since Alexis was born, I told her about him, there was even a picture of him with me sitting on her night table. I wanted her to know about him, even if he wasn't interested in being around.

He leaned down closer to her and her arms just went crazy, I knew that was her sign for 'pick me up already'. "She does know me!" he quickly knelt down and unbuckled her. "Hey Princess Lexi," he said softly as he picked her up and cradles her in his arms.

"Her name is Alexis!" I snapped, punching in my parents number of the phone.

"Did you keep mommy up all night? Is that why she's grumpy?" He asked the cooing little traitor in his arms. I know it was wrong of me to think like that, I should've been happy that she got to meet him but I didn't think she would take to him so quickly.

"Hello?" The voice on the other end of the phone wasn't one I was used to hearing.

"Hey I need to speak to Lenore right away."

"I'm sorry Mrs Sands is unable to-"

I sighed, "Listen this is her daughter, I need to talk to her right now!" The unknown woman stammered her apologies and put me on hold as she went to get my mother.

I turned to see Reed sitting on the couch holding Alexis up on his knee, looking at her. "You know I'm your daddy, don't you Princess Lexi?" Alexis response was to blow bubbles at him.

"Amber what's wrong?" My mother's concerned voice broke through the haze that seemed to engulf me.

"How could you!" I snapped at her. "Where is Henry? Why didn't you send him for us?"

I could hear my mother sigh, "Amber stop being so melodramatic! Henry isn't there because his daughter went into labor yesterday. It's his first grandchild, so you know he wanted to be there."

"No, I don't." I scoffed, "I didn't think people cared about their first grandchild being born."

"Amber please don't get on like this, not today."

"Fine!" I looked over my shoulder to see Alexis grab a handful of Reed's shoulder lenght light brown hair, I couldn't help but smile at the look of pain on his face. "But why couldn't you send someone else? Why him?"

"Amber dear, we didn't send Reed. He volunteered to come for you and the baby when he heard that Henry wasn't able too. Your father was going to take the time off to go get you before Reed asked if he could."

There were a couple things wrong with that statement:
1} my father has never taken time off to do anything for me in the past. He missed most of the things that I wanted him to be there for.
2} Why would Reed volunteer to come for us when he denied Alexis was his and he hadn't tried to get a hold of me since I left.

I shook my head, "Mother you know there's no way I'd believe that he volunteered to come here for us!"

"But I did," I jumped as Reed spoke. He was no longer sitting on the couch, he was now leaning against the wall next to me. "I asked your parents to let me come for you."

I looked at him in disbelief, "Mother I have to go."

As I was hanging up the phone I heard my mother's voice saying, 'give him a chance Amber.'

The hell I will!

****
Oh crap, my mother just came to tell me that she'll be ready to leave in a half hour to go shopping. Wish me luck, I hate shopping.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

WAIT WHAT, I NEED TO KNOW MORE THIS IS GETTING REALLY GOOD!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

i really like this!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, fantastic story, the only bad part is having to wait for the next post!
J

Anonymous said...

This is really good. I read View From this Chair all the time (which I really enjoy as well). Good luck with both! Thanks for the great writing.

Anonymous said...

amber. i love this blog. its really entertaaining and intresting. keep it up.