Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Parents Just Don't Understand

So the doctor says she has an ear infection and he prescribed some medicine to help get over it. I don't know if I'm crazy but she seems to be doing better now. She doesn't cry so much and she's eating and sleeping more.

Like right now, she's been asleep for a good half hour. I keep expecting her to wake up and I keep checking on her but she's curled up sound asleep. She looks so peaceful, a little angel. She has my eyes and the same shade of brown hair that I do but every day she seems to look more and more like her father, Reed.

I don't normally think about him that much anymore. Since the day he denied that the baby I was carrying was his, I gave up any dreams that he would be there for her or for me. I know she's his daughter, I wasn't with any other guy around that time. I may not have been completely innocent but I wasn't a slut either.

But lately Reed has been on my mind, seeing him in Alexis makes it hard for me not to think about him. I don't want him around for me, I'm so over him. I just wish that he was around to know his daughter. I don't want her to feel the hatred that I feel towards my father but then again, I don't want her to feel like she has to have her father's approval. Maybe it's a good thing she doesn't know Reed?

Yesterday while I was gone, I got a phone call from my mother. This is the message she left.

Amber darling it's mom. As you know your father and I are celebrating our 25th anniversary this weekend and we are having a party. It's going to be the party of the year! Now you know it is expected that you be there. Your father will send a car to get you Thursday, we'll have all Friday to find you the perfect dress and then Saturday you will be at our side. Oh darling I can't wait to see you again, I've missed you.

I couldn't believe that they waited until the Tuesday before the party to tell me about it! I was going to ignore the message but mom called me last night.

"I can't go." I told her, not really caring to go.

"Of course you can! You don't have any commitments! And besides all your father's friends will be expecting you there."

I rolled my eyes, "And we can't disappoint them now can we?"

"Now we just have to figure out what to do with the baby."

"Alexis! Her name is Alexis!" I screamed into the phone. "And there would be nothing to figure out, if I come home she's going with me. If I go to the party, she's going too. I'm not going to pretend that she doesn't exist just because you are disappointed in me."

"Amber calm down." Mom sighed, "Honey I'm not disappointed in you."

I scoffed, "Yeah right."

"There are things you don't know Amber."

When I asked her to elaborate on that she went quite for a moment and then told me she'd see Alexis and me on Thursday. "I just have to think of something to tell your father."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are we going with fact or fiction on this one? Sounds like it could very well be fact... but lots of stories are like this now, Just like Anna's. Hers could be fact to.

But, The Blog? Love it so far. I am completely sympathizing with you. i am a "single" mom (going through a divorce right now) and in the military, and it is hard. :) I hope you keep up with this one, it is great Amber. :)

Anna said...

Randi, this blog is totally and utterly fictional...it's my work along with 'ViewFromThisChair'...I didn't realize that I didn't make that clear when I mentioned it on my other blog. I'm sorry...

Anonymous said...

ANNE,
I READ YOUR VIEWFROMTHISCHAIR, AND THIS ONE IS REALLY GOOD YOU ARE A TALENTED WRITER!!!!! I LVE TO READ YOUR BLOGS ITS LIKE YOU CAN RELATE TO THE PEOPLE IN THE STORY, I CANT WAIT TO SEE HOW THIS BLOG PROGRESSES......ALSO I HOPE SHE GOES TO THE PARTY AND BRINGS ALEXIS AND MAYBE REED WILL BE THERE, THT WOULD BE GOOD...:):):):)

Anonymous said...

great post.

b

Anonymous said...

I am sure you mentioned it Angela, but when people mention another blog to read, my eyes glaze over and i have to get to it, LoL.

Keep up the great work. I have been reading your other blog since the beginning. I am completely addicted to it. Crack. Yup, you write Crack. :)