Friday, March 23, 2007

Dashing Through The Snow

I didn't wait for him to wake up after all, instead I went back into my room and climbed into bed again. I laid on my side with my hands under my head for the longest time just watching Alexis and Chris sleep. I wasn't sure how Alexis ended up in bed with me or even how Chris got back in my apartment but I was really curious to find out. I wanted to wake him but I was afraid if I woke him, I'd wake Alexis who was snuggled up against his side. She looked so adorable with her blanket and her dolly and her little hand resting on Chris' forearm.

I took this moment to look at him, I mean really look at him. I don't think I've looked at him long enough in the few times that we've spent time together because he seemed to remind me of someone but I couldn't figure out who, it wasn't until later when he woke up and I mentioned this to him that he told me people said he reminded them of Paul Walker. Which I guess is a good thing if you are a fan of his, personally I didn't even know who he was talking about until he mentioned the Fast and the Furious.

But that's not what I wanted to talk about. I was watching him sleep and wondering how he got back in and how I didn't hear him come in. I tried to remember if I locked the door after he left earlier or if I just asked him to lock the doorknob on his way out but I couldn't remember.

"That's a pretty serious face," my eyes jumped to his face. "Everything ok?"

I nodded, "I was just trying to figure out how you got back in."

He laughed, "I turned the doorknob and walked in like I said I would." I shot him a confused look, "Amber I told you I'd be back after I put my clothes in the wash. I just didn't think you two would fall asleep while I was gone."

I told him I didn't remember him saying that but it did really matter anyway, he was there and I didn't have a problem with that. I didn't tell him that last little bit though, I didn't want him to think I was crazy or something. But I did ask him about Alexis and how I ended up in bed.

"Well," he grinned. "You looked so cute asleep on the couch, I didn't want to wake you. But then your phone started to ring, you stirred but you didn't wake up." He paused, "I didn't want it to wake you or Alexis, so I answered it."

"You answered my phone?" Ok, it may not be a big deal for some, but I don't think that you go to some one's house and answer their phone. I don't do it when I go to my parents house and I don't expect them to do it here. Not that they visit but you know what I mean.

He frowned, "Yes I did. I didn't think it would be an issue but I guess I was wrong."

"Who was it?" I asked as 'please don't say Reed' chorused through my mind.

Chris shrugged, "Some lady named Lucinda. She said she'd call back later." I closed my eyes, F***! "I take it that's not a good thing?" He looked like he was afraid I was going to yell at him or something. "Who is she?"

"Reed's mother," I sighed. "Alexis' Grandmother."

Chris closed his eyes and buried his face in the pillow. "Amber I'm sorry," he said into the pillow.

I told him it was too late now and then asked him how she sounded. He told me she seemed ok, she didn't give any sign that there was anything wrong. And that's what worried me the most. If she would've freaked or started to ask him questions about himself, I wouldn't be so worried. But Lucinda Johnson is never one to take things in stride, I knew I was in for a barrage of phone calls from my mother and maybe even Reed.

Chris and I continued talking about random things until little miss snugglebug started to wiggle around. When she lifted her head off the bed and saw Chris she made a little whining noise, he told her everything was ok that I was just behind her. Alexis turned her head my way, rubbed her eyes with her fist and then looked at me with the biggest grin on her face.

I had promised her before we fell asleep that we would go outside and test out her new ride when we woke up. So after we changed her diaper, we all suited up and went out in the courtyard to play with her sled. I don't know if I am over protective or what, but by the time we had Alexis bundled up in the sled and ready to go, all you could see of her was her two little eyes, everything else was hidden under a blanket.

Chris and I took turns pulling Alexis around the courtyard for a while, she seemed to like it better when he was pulling her because he could go faster in the snow than I could, I would keep getting stuck. There was one point where I was leaning against Chris with one foot in the air as he tried to fish my boot out of a deep snow drift, he moved too far to one side without warning me and I ended up face first in the snow. They both got a good chuckle out of that.

It was nice to spend time with him like that. It was nice to spend time with anyone I guess. As we made our way back to my apartment after we were played out, I found myself wondering if Reed would ever let loose enough to play in the snow with Alexis. I wondered if he would be like our fathers and never have time for Alexis or if he would be there for her. I wondered if Alexis would ever be 'daddy's little girl' or if daddy would just be an ATM to her. And as I was wondering all this I started to wonder why I'm wondering about Reed at all.

And surprisingly enough, I never heard anything from anyone yet. Which makes me a little nervous, there is no way that Lucinda didn't tell anyone that a guy answered my phone. So where was the freaked out calls from my mother? And where were the accusing calls from Reed? There's no way that either one of them wouldn't care, is there?

I guess I'll have to wait and see.

It's time for me to take Alexis for her pictures, I was going to get them done at six months but the photographer was booked solid. Today was the earliest I could get in.

Things are kinda back to Alexis and me for now, Chris is working 10 and 4, which means he works 10 straight before getting 4 days off. It kind of sucks, I was looking forward to seeing him. Although, he did say he might pop in for a minute or two after work some days, 'just so you don't forget me'.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LUV IT, Can't wait for the next one, I sure hope you post on the weekends as well, that way I have something to look forward to on Monday. Until next time Amber!!

RJ

Anonymous said...

uuuuu.. I´m in love with him ;)

PCS

Anonymous said...

He seems like a good guy. What do ya bet that Reed is headed to Amber's and that is why he hasn't called. He is coming to check things out for himself.
L

Anonymous said...

sooooo good!!!!! I love this blog! Can't wait to hear more about Chris!