Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Asking Is Harder Than It Seems

I had no idea how Reed planned on bringing up the subject of his possible brother to his mother at dinner that night and when I asked him, he would tell me that he wasn't sure. "But when the right moment comes, I'll know what to say," he tried to sound confident but I knew he wasn't feeling it at all. But who could blame him? To find out that you aren't an only child? I don't know how I would handle it but I don't think I would be as calm as Reed seemed when his mother arrived on our doorstep that night. I know if it were me, I would've called my mother up and asked her flat out because sometimes I just don't have the tact that Reed possesses.

I wanted this issue to be over, not only because it was driving us crazy, no I guess I could handle crazy but what I couldn't handle was Reed not being as touchy feely as he normally is. I missed his gentle caresses, I wanted to feel his lips against my temple as we lay in bed at night, and I needed to see the desire in his eyes when he looked at me. I hated that this issue was taking a toll on our love life, I don't think he's even attempted to initiate even a kiss in the time since that night. Maybe I was being selfish but I wanted some of his loving.

So when Lucinda showed up for dinner the other night, I was excited. It would soon be over, I thought. We'll have some answers and we'll know where to go from there.

I was just finishing getting dressed for dinner when I heard Reed answer the door. Although we were having dinner at the house, Reed insisted that we dressed up for it. "I just want everything to look nice," he told me when I asked him why. "I know my mom will be dressed for it and I think we should too. I don't want her to feel out of place or disappointed with us, especially tonight."

"Fine," I gave in.

"Great," he smiled at me. "Do you think you could wear the black pants and that cream color shirt that I pulled out of the closet for you?"

"Why? Do you think your mom will mind if I wear something else?"

"No," he told me. "I just think you look really hot in it." Before I could even say anything, he was walking away, smiling.

So what did I do? I ran upstairs and slipped into the clothes he picked out for me; it felt both strange and exciting at the same time.

I had just returned from changing as he showed his mother to the couch where he stood by her side until she was seated and then asked if she wanted to something to drink. He had to walk pass me on his way to the kitchen to get the ice tea that she requested and when he walked by me he gave me a smile and I swear there was some heat in his eyes. And it gave me hope that I would be on the receiving end of some kisses at least by the time the night was through.

Reed didn't bring up the guy during dinner, I think he was more nervous about it than he let on. Or maybe he didn't want to spoil dinner with it.

Dinner had been over for an hour, Reed and Lucinda were in the living room talking about work, Alexis and his father while I was getting Alexis ready for bed. "Come on snuggle, let's go see if daddy wants any kisses before you got to sleep."

"Amber," Lucinda smiled up at me when I entered the room with Alexis in her pjs. "How about you? How is your work going?"

I glanced at Reed and he shook his head. "It's going ok," I told her but I think she sensed there was something going on because she told me she wanted to hear more after I put Alexis down.

"Give Nana kisses," I told Alexis as I held her towards Lucinda. Once Lucinda was done trying to kiss the face off Alexis, I turned to Reed and held out Alexis. "Do you have any kisses left for daddy?" I asked as Reed stood to take her out of my arms.

"Of course she does, don't you Princess?" Alexis replied with a wet kiss on Reed's open mouth.

I went to take her back but Reed wouldn't give her to me, instead me turned to his mom and asked her to excuse us, we needed to put Alexis to bed. I was surprised when his mother just smiled and nodded, I was so sure she would tell him that he didn't need to be there when I put Alexis to bed; it was something his father would certainly say to him.

"I don't know what to do," he confessed once we were in the privacy of Alexis' room. "I can't think of a way to bring it up!"

"Calm down," I whispered as I placed my hand on his arm. "Let's get Alexis in bed and then we'll talk about it." I watched him give Alexis one last kiss goodnight before he bent over her crib and placed her on the mattress.

"Ok," I said once he turned back towards me. "What are we going to do?"

Reed sighed, "I don't know. I told you, I can't think of anything."

We talked for a few minutes but still didn't have anything when we joined Lucinda in the living room.

I guess in the end it was our nervous behavior that tipped her off that there was something on our minds. Of course, she thought the worst. "Is everything ok between the two of you?" She asked us. "I hope you didn't invite me here only to tell me that it wasn't working out."

"No mom!" Reed seemed offended that she even asked that. "Amber and I are doing just fine, we are happy."

"Then why are you two sitting so stiffly on that couch?" She inquired. "Most other times you two would be exchanging glances or touches or whispering to each other at the least. There's something wrong, I know it and I won't leave until you tell me what it is!"

Reed and I turned to each other, he looked just as lost as he did in Alexis' bedroom a few minutes before. "Ok," I sighed, turning back to Lucinda. "To be honest things have been a little strained around here the last couple days Lucinda."

"Oh no," she groaned softly before asking what the problem was.

"Well it has to do with some one I work with," I started to tell her about the phone calls I was receiving late at night - the whispering voice, the accusations and my refusal to believe what the woman was saying.

"Of course you didn't believe it!" Lucinda said disgusted. "The woman was nothing but a tramp who thought she could come between Reed and you but she picked the wrong couple! My Reed loves you!"

I smiled, "Yes he does. I told her this but the calls continued." I went on to tell her about the last call. "This time it was different," I told her how Reed wasn't in the room with me and I forgot that he had gone to check on Alexis. "It wouldn't have made any difference but the voice..." I hesitated for effect, I wanted to see if she would show any response at all.

She didn't. "What voice?" She gave me a questioning look.

"The guy that was with Penny, he must have woken up or something because I heard him for the first time and I swear he sounded so much like Reed," I frowned and told her it was uncanny. "I thought I was hearing things, I thought he was in the room with me but he wasn't."

"Well..." Lucinda tried to say something but she couldn't get it out.

"I ended up running downstairs because I remembered that Reed was checking on Alexis. They weren't in her room but I soon found him sleeping on the couch with our little girl in his arms. But I still heard the voice on the other end of the phone."

"It could be just a coincidence?"

I nodded, "It could be but the way Penny freaked out when she heard Reed talking to me when I woke him made me think that she honestly thought Reed was with her. Which was crazy, right? There is only one like him in the world and" I turned to Reed, taking his hand in mine. "And he's sitting right here."

Lucinda didn't say anything but I heard her making noises. "Lucinda?" Reed and I both turned to her at the same time, she looked so pale, like she was going to pass out.

"No...it's...no!" She stared at us as she shook her head. "It...no!"

"Mom? What's wrong?"

"I have to go!" She said suddenly. "I have to get home." She jumped up but she didn't move anywhere. "I...no..."

"Mom please!" Reed jumped off the couch and was at his mother's side in no time. "Please sit down and tell me what's going on with you."

Lucinda let him help her sit down and she didn't let go of his arm once she was seated. "I..." she looked at him and shrugged helplessly.

Reed closed his eyes, dropped his head to his chest for a moment. When he looked up again, he asked her point blank. "I have a brother, don't I?"

Lucinda's eyes widen for a fraction of a second before she nodded sadly. "Yes Reed you do."

24 comments:

The Middle Child said...

And the truth emerges....

Anonymous said...

I knew it! I knew it! I knew it! I knew it!

Along this path said...

Boy was that a juicy little post! It's going to make for some interesting future posts.

MH

Anonymous said...

WOAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! CANT JUST LEAVE US LIKE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....U GOTTA DOUBLE POST!!!! I MEAN WHO IS HE? HOW OLD IS HE? WHERE DOES HE LIVE? HOW COME HE WAS KEPT A SECRET? DID LUCINDA CHEAT ON ROGER AND HAVE ANOTHER KID? ARE THEY TWINS OR SOMETHING? OMG THE QUESTIONS ARE KILLING ME! LOL

PCS said...

wow cant wait to see what happens next!!!

Anonymous said...

OHH YOU CAN"T STOP THERE!!!!
WE NEED MORE!!!

double post??? please?!!! this is killing me!

Anonymous said...

What are the chances????? It's a small world!

Anonymous said...

I think it is a twin.

Anonymous said...

This is just down right cruel to leave us hanging like this......We will definately be looking forward to tomorrows post.
Becky

Anonymous said...

How could Penny find the brother so quickly after meeting Reed for the 1st time not too long ago? And why hasn't he been seen before this if he lives that close by? I mean Penny must live in the same town if her and Amber work together. Finally some drama!!!!

MonkeySpeak said...

Well penny could live in a town over? I dunno, maybe she commutes? Amber never seems to bumb into Penny like she does the other characters in town... I know I drive pretty far to visit my friends (some even live an hour away!!) so If they lived 30-60 minutes away then that could be how this is all panning out?

Anonymous said...

Gatorgirl - Those are some good points, but I still find it strange, guess we'll just have to wait till the next post to get more answers!!

Anonymous said...

Oops! Sorry meant to write Gatormonkey!

Anonymous said...

Ok who nailed this predictable storyline first?? Ugh, I gotta stop reading this stuff

Anonymous said...

a little Days Of Our Lives, anyone?

DDgirl said...

well done Angela,

it's nice to be back!

Take care
DDgirl

Anonymous said...

okay anon Aug.15, 8:09.....if you don't like, don't read it, but don't be a downer for everyone else who happens to love this blog.

The Middle Child said...

If he looks so much like Reed that someone else would think he is Reed then they have to be twins. Penny danced with Reed before, so she has seen him up close... they have to be twins.... and if he has a twin pretending to be him (Penny thinks it is Reed which means that guy isn't telling her any different!)... man I would be pissed at this guy!

Amber said...

This blog is a little soap opearaish? WOOHOO!! That means I'm so totally on track! ~g~ And people read when they know what's going to happened? Awesome! It's been a dream of mine to have those who hate my story, read it and comment! Yay! This day keeps getting better and better for me! ~s~

the middle child - I have a sister who is older than me and people always get us mixed up...I don't think we look anything alike but some do.

Lynn, MH, PCS, mya, Gatormonkey and ddgirl - it's always nice to check in on how the comment section is going and see all your familiar names. All the anonymous people, it's great to see all your comments too!

Ahhh...so many questions...I guess I better get working on the next post and see if Lucinda can answer any of them...

~is still excited about the 'Days' comment~ do you all think I should see if they are hiring writers? Or maybe I'm too tame for their wild, totally unbelieveable story lines...plus, I can't drag a story line out for six months or more...LOL but I can take six months to tell a story...does that make sense?

Anyway...I have lots of writing to do...

Vikki said...

LOL!! Amber You rock!! I love this story!! It is great! I cannot wait to see what Lucinda says!!!

Lynn said...

Angela,
You are a lot more gracious than I could be. Good for you! People need to realize that you are writing to entertain people! They are reading to be entertained. Last time I looked it said it was a fictional blog, not a biography, GEEZ! Glad you have a good attitude and won't let the negative get to you.

MonkeySpeak said...

haha - gator girl is fine, just a lot of people use that call name from my school so i use gatormonkey to differentiate myself

monkey is just a nickname, the important part is the gator, representing my alma mater!!! (Univ. of Fla.) ;)

cant wait for the next post!!!! im actually more interested in what the deal with penny is going to be than the brother... hahaha. sorry reed!

Anonymous said...

It was nice to have so many posts to read.......only to left hanging just as much as I was when I left on Friday! Way to go Angela! I at least get to go catch up on the other one.

Stacey

ctiger said...

OMG, OMG that is all i can say. FAntastic post. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Chris