Saturday, August 11, 2007

Trying To Make Sense Of It All

"No!" I told her. "I don't care what you say, I know Reed loves me and he wouldn't cheat on me!"

"Are you really that stupid?" She asked. "I'm telling you the truth, you heard him yourself."

"No," I repeated.

"Fine," she snapped. "Don't believe me, I don't really care. It's not like he's going to stop banging me if you knew or not."

"Reed loves me you sleazy whore! He would never cheat on me, he has gone through so much just to get me back in his life, why would he give all this up for the likes of you?"

"Whatever," the woman yawned. "Believe what you want. I think I hear the shower running," she told me. "I'm going to go join him."

I rolled my eyes, "Have fun in the shower by yourself, you crazy bitch!"

"I won't be by myself," she laughed. "Oh! And did I tell you? He told me that I'm the best he's ever had."

"Sure he did," I pushed back the blankets and crawled out of bed. I don't know why but I didn't want to hang up because if it was true, I didn't want her to go and join him anywhere. Reed is mine! If he is cheating on me, there is no way I'm going to let me see Alexis again. We'll leave town first! I stopped. Alexis! He was calming her down!

"You know what I'm telling you is the truth," she said. "Why don't you do us both a favor and leave him alone? It's sad how you refuse to let go of a man who obviously don't love you."

"You are wrong!" I snapped at her as I ran down the stairs. Please be with Alexis, I pleaded as I whipped down the stairs.

"You heard him!" She was getting more and more upset, I wasn't sure how much longer it would be before she stopped whispering and started to yell at me.

"If it was him, why wasn't he more concerned about who you were talking too?" I asked her. "I told him about the crazy claims you were making and he -"

"What?" She cut me off. "He told you I was lying?"

"Not exactly," I told her as I pushed open Alexis' door and my heart sank because Reed wasn't in there. "He didn't need to tell me you were lying, I know you are lying."

"I'm not lying," she insisted. "I'll prove it again." There was silence on her side of the phone as I made my way down the hall towards the living room. "Someone wants to talk to you," I heard her say over the sound of the shower running.

"Come on love," I cringed when I heard his voice again. "I'm in the shower. Why don't you hang up and join me?"

"In a minute," she told him. "Now do you believe me?" She asked me.

"Believe you?" I stopped short when I heard the voice again. "Who are you talking too?"

"No one," the woman said and she must've left the bathroom because the noise of the water was gone. "What do you have to say for yourself now Amber?"

I stood frozen in my tracks, I could feel the tears as they started to roll down my cheeks. "I think you are crazy," I told her. "Reed loves me."

"Yet he's here with me," she said smugly.

"No he's not," I told her. "He's right here where he belongs."

Suddenly the woman wasn't whispering anymore. "NO HE'S NOT! HE'S IN MY SHOWER YOUR STUPID BITCH! HE DOESN'T LOVE YOU! HE LOVES ME!"

"No," I told her softly. "He's not with you, he's sleeping here on the couch with our daughter in his arms."

She started to say he wasn't but I wasn't listening anymore. "Reed?" I knelt beside the couch where he must've taken Alexis when she wouldn't calm down in her room. "Reed honey?" I shook him gently and he jumped.

"Hey darling," he yawned but smiled up at me. "What are you doing down here?" He noticed my cell in my hand. "Who are you talking to Amber?"

I went to tell him it was the woman who claimed he was cheating on me but the horrible cry from the other end of the phone stopped me. "No!" She cried, "Reed is here with me, he's in my shower! You heard him Amber!"

Two things hit me at that moment. One was the fact that she wasn't as crazy as I thought she was, there was someone with her who she was certain was Reed; he did sound a lot like him and I couldn't help but wonder if he looked like Reed too.

And two? Well....

"I don't know who the hell is in your shower Penny but like I've told you since the first time you called me. It isn't Reed! He's here with me and he would never cheat on me with the likes of you! Reed loves me!"

I snapped my cell closed with a force that I was sure would break it but I didn't care. All I cared about was the fact that I was right, Reed wasn't cheating on me.

"Let's go to bed Reed," I said when he asked me what was going on. "Let's put Alexis back in her crib and I'll tell you everything."

Ten minutes later Reed and I were curled up in bed, I was telling him all about the calls and how this time I heard the guy's voice. "He sounds so much like you Reed and if Penny though he was you, he must look an awful lot like you."

"But that doesn't make sense Amber, there's no way someone could look that much like me."

"Unless he is related to you," I told him.

Reed shook his head. "I don't have any cousins or anyone in my family who look that much like me and you know I don't have any brothers."

I went to tell him that I knew but I stopped. "Reed?" I gripped his shoulder and stared up at him.

"What Amber?"

"Nothing," I shook my head, it had to be nothing right? I mean there wasn't any way that it was possible, Reed would know about it. But yet...

"Amber it's not nothing!" Reed sat up and pulled me with him. "You have that look on your face that tells me you know something! What do you know?"

What did I know? I didn't really know much but a conversation that I had with his mother came rushing back. At the time I didn't think any thing of it but now?

"AmberLynn Sands tell me what you are thinking this minute!"

I almost laughed when I looked up at him but the seriousness of the situation stopped me. "Your mother made a comment to me once, we were talking about Alexis and how I decided to go against everyone and keep her." He nodded and waited for me to continue. "It's the comment she made that I couldn't quiet figure out at the time, like she knew from experience what it was like to be in my situation."

Reed shook his head. "My parents only had one child...me."

"Did they?" I asked him. "Is it possible your mother had a baby before you?"

Although Reed swore up and down that there was no way either of his parents had a child besides him, I could tell that he wasn't so sure anymore. "Ok," I sighed. "Let's forget that there's a guy out there who looks and sounds like you, it has to be a coincidence, right?"

"Right."

Yesterday he tried to get a hold of his mother but she wasn't in. Penny wasn't at work yesterday either so I didn't geta chance to kill her...I mean talk to her about the guy she thought was Reed.

But now that I know who has been calling me, I don't know if I can continue to work with her. What am I going to do?

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that he is not cheating on her. You have no idea the relief I felt. Whooooooooo!!

I hope that Reed and his mom can get through this. He should have some compassion for her.

I love this blog!!

Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Phew! I'm so relieved! But what an interesting twist.....an older brother he knows nothing about? Did Lucinda and Roger have a baby before they were married (is that why they got married in the first place?) and felt forced to give it up?

Hmmmmm......questions questions...and as for Penny, Amber needs to do something about her, she's a stalker for heaven's sake!

Anonymous said...

What a relief it wasn't reed....but who is it?
L

Anonymous said...

OH...THANK...GOD!!!!!!!!!

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GG

Anonymous said...

To all of you who called it (Penny as the mystery caller), way to go!

Now, who is the mystery GUY??!!

Anonymous said...

WOWWW interesting!!!
so reeds mother had two babies and she named them both reed???!!!!

so happy that reed isn't cheating on amber!

Anonymous said...

Haha! Mya, I didn't even notice that they both would have to be named Reed for Penny to think "her" Reed was the real one. Maybe Reed's "brother" is pretending to be him to get access to the family wealth? Otherwise.. yea it would be weird for Lucinda to name both her sons Reed.

Anonymous said...

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.....lol..thats all i have to say!..i am in complete and utter shock...but i noe that reed wouldnt cheat on amber but u ALMOST had me fooled there when reed wasnt in alexis' room or when the other guy on the phone said come on, love".....what a relief that it isnt him!!!!
i like kayt's suggestion that if he does in fact have an older brother that he is just using his identity to gain wealth or something.....interesting idea

Vikki said...

I KNEW IT WAS PENNY!! That hepher needs to get slapped! I can't wait to see whapt happens next. I just hope that Penny is too embarrassed to come back to work. Amber shouldn't have to quit just because her co-worker is nuts.

Anonymous said...

This Penny sounds very deranged and could pose a serious threat to Amber. I really don't think she should be working in a daycare setting either. Hopefully she'll get carted off to the funny farm where she belongs!

Anonymous said...

It just goes to show you what kind of person Penny is to intentionally try to break apart a family. What a slut.

My thing is also why both of them are being called Reed unless older brother is upset he was given up and is trying to cause problems for Reed because he's jealous.

Anonymous said...

My guess about the double-Reed thing would be that Lucinda named her first son Reed, but she had to give him up. Then, when she had a legitimate son, she named him Reed again because she felt guilty about abandoning her first son.

I'm confused...how did she identify the mystery caller as Penny?

Anonymous said...

If she gave up the first son at birth for adoption, the new parents would likely have named the child and not Lucinda. Weird coincidence that both kids were named Reed by two different couples, but so would be the idea that he had an older brother nobody knew about that lives in the same region.

Anonymous said...

no post?:(

Carmel Beauty said...

Don't let that crazy girl try to steal your joy don't quit that job you love it. But do talk with both her and your supervisor this needs to be taken care of even if she thought it was Reed what she has done is ridiclous and how did she get your telphone #.

Anonymous said...

Penny is one messed up chick. She really shouldn't be working at a child's day care center anymore. But how will Amber prove that Penny is the one who's been stalking her? Also, if this guy is Reed's brother or half-brother, or just a plain imposter.....the bigger question is, is he a good guy or a bad guy?

I hope Amber and her family stay safe!

The Middle Child said...

I'm glad it wasn't him... I would have had to take back all the nice things I ever thought about him....

Great post!

Anonymous said...

who said the other guy's name was reed? all we know is that PENNY thought it was REED.

Anonymous said...

Great Twist!!! Keep it coming!

Jaiden said...

I am so happy it wasn't Reed. I love this blog!!!! Keep up the great work.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I just found your blog last week and I printed it out so I could read all of the previous posts. I LOVE THIS BLOG! Wow! You have a way of keeping us on our toes! I can't wait to see what happens next! Woo hoo! I am soooooo relieved it wasn't Reed afterall. I knew he wouldn't do that to her. I think Penny needs to get her @$$ kicked! I hope Amber doesn't leave her job because of that tramp!

Anonymous said...

My guess is that when Penny stopped whispering and starting talking loud, Amber recognized her voice. It really was only a matter of time though.

As far as the guy, I think that the theory of this being an older brother of Reed's who was given up as a baby could be true. Maybe Penny met him, thought it was Reed, he did some research on who "Reed" is and his family history, saw that they have money and that he could possibly get some of that.

I guess, also in the meantime, Penny actually thought that she was sleeping with Reed, but where is HER boyfriend?