Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Turning The Tables

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Devon yelled at me when he caught up to me as I was about to get into my car.

"What's wrong with me?" I whipped around. "What the hell is wrong with you?" Devon rolled his eyes. "Don't roll your eyes at me you jerk! How dare you lie and cheat your way back into Janie's bed only to disappear without a frigging word?"

"I didn't lie or cheat! Nor did I disappear! I'm still here!"

"Why is your condo empty?" I asked him.

"What?" He seemed confused. "My condo? The one that I haven't lived in since I moved in with An - fuck! Kelly? The one that I put up for sale the week I was supposed to get married? The one that I sold and have been moving my stuff out of for the last couple days?" He crossed his arms over his chest. "I don't know Amber, why don't you tell me why it's empty?"

Ok, I have to admit, I didn't know any of that besides that he wasn't living there in the last couple months. "Oh," was all I could think to say.

"Oh?" He repeated. "Is that all you have to say? You get all snippy with me, call me a jerk and say all sorts of horrible things to me and all you have to say is 'oh'?" Devon uncrossed his arms and grabbed me by the shoulders. "God Amber if you weren't Reed's girl, I'd start to wonder why you are taking such interest in my personal affairs! What business is it of yours?"

I yanked my shoulders from his grasp. "It's my business because it's my best friend that you are constantly screwing around with! What the hell happened to telling Janie the truth? Or was it all a lie just to get her in bed again?"

"I don't owe you an explanations," he told me. "And as far as I can remember, your best friend screwed me and then flipped out, telling me that she didn't want to see me ever again!"

"And you listened? Since when do you listen to what anyone tells you Devon?"

"Since I decided I wasn't going to chase after someone who didn't want me!" He yelled. "If Janie wants to marry that pathetic loser and have his pathetic children, then good for her!"

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I punched him in the chest, I was that mad. "For years you've been playing with Janie's heart; stringing her along while you chased after every thing in a skirt and now -"

"Janie didn't want to hear what I had to say Amber; if she did she wouldn't have been so eager to get me naked!"

"Oh good lord!" I rolled my eyes. "You fucking hypocrite!"

Devon started at me in shock.

"What?" I asked him.

With a slight grin on his face, he asked me if Reed knew about my potty mouth. I slapped him across the arm. "Reed knows all about me and he loves me despite everything; he would never screw around with me like you've screwed around with Janie. He wouldn't waste my time or his when it came to something important like, oh! Our future together and how he feels about me!" I shook my head. "You could learn a thing or two from him."

"Yeah?" Devon raised a brow. "Like how to lose your manhood to a controlling bitch who doesn't care what you want as long as she gets what she wants?"

"Screw you!" I screamed at him.

Devon laughed, "You are no better than I am Amber; you've been playing with Reed since the moment you met him."

"Take that back!" I demanded but he wouldn't. "I don't control Reed and I don't want to control him either!"

"But you don't let him do what he wants, do you? Have you even thought about what he wants?" I stared at him, I was biting my cheek to stop from crying because I'm a baby when it comes to someone yelling at me. "No," he smirked. "I bet you didn't even consider that all it would take to make his day if for you to give him some indication that you want to be with him forever." Devon snorted, "Hell! You can't even bring yourself to live in the house with him but you expect him to spend every night with you."

"You have no idea what -"

"No?" Devon shrugged. "Maybe I don't but what does it matter? I can pass judgement on you without knowing all the facts like you do with me."

With that said, Devon turned and walked away. I stood there shaking as I tried to get my body to do what my brain commanded so I could get in my car.

"Oh and Amber?" He turned to look at me. "I didn't give up on Janie, I'm not screwing around with her; I do love her."

"But you..." I was so utterly confused.

"Maybe next time you want to know something you'll ask instead of tell me what I'm doing." He smiled, "I have some stuff I need to take care of before I talk to Janie about our future."

"What...?" I started but he was already heading back towards Sobey's.

So what do I think about the conversation with Devon? I don't really know, all I do know is that night when I got home Reed asked me why I let Devon provoke me like that.

"You know he loves Janie," he told me. "And even though you may not like the way things are with them right now, you have to let them work it out; you shouldn't have expected him to explain himself to you, Janie is the only one he needs to do that with."

"So you are telling me to mind my own business?"

Reed nodded slowly and then sighed when I started to turn away from him. "Darling I just think that you should let Janie be the one to call him on his actions."

"Fine," I told him. "From now on, I'll mind my own business. If something happens that doesn't directly affect me, I don't want to know about it."

Reed told me I was being childish and I told him I was only 19, technically still a child so what did he expect...

...he told me he expected me to be myself.

I'm upset that Reed thinks I spend way too much time worrying about others and butting into their business. How can I turn that off? Janie is my best friend and I want her to be happy but I know she's not happy with the way her life is right now.

Sigh.

Trying not to care sucks.

And to make matters worst, Reed is being grumpy; he spent last night at the house, alone. I asked him if he wanted Alexis and I to come over but he told me to do whatever I wanted.

I ended up staying here. I couldn't sleep at all so I'm really tired and cranky right now.

Well, time for work.

Sigh.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what to say, bc were I in her shoes I'd have done the same thing. Close friends are important and I would worry about my friend's happiness.
And what's up with Reed?

The Middle Child said...

Yeah, what's up with Reed?

Maybe he is starting to worry that Amber will never move in with him. I think she should just do it. They are together all the time anyway for Pete's sake.

Anonymous said...

Girls! Girls! Girls! - Devon told you what's up with Reed. Devon told Amber everything that Reed told him over a few beers or a guy's night out or a man to man heart to heart talk one night. Reed has bent over backwards to make Amber happy and let her "find herself". Well, I don't blame him if he's pissed off.....Amber can't have her cake and eat it too forever. She needs to wake up - and fast - before Reed is long gone!

Anonymous said...

I'm thinkin' double wedding!

Carmel Beauty said...

I agree with anon 11:45am

Hadley said...

I'm with anon 11:45, too.

I think Reed has proven himself. They are in love, he is committed, and they have a child to raise. Amber should accept his proposal!

Lynn said...

I agree with anon 11:45 too.

Anonymous said...

I agree with anon. to some degree. Amber needs to be a good friend but she is stepping over a few boundries with the Devon/Janie situation. She needs to focus on the issues that are keeping her from moving in with Reed, so that can happen! Reed is also feeling uneasy about how concerned Janie is with what Devon does.

Great post!

Anonymous said...

Oops I meant "how concerned Amber is with what Devon does"

:)

ctiger said...

Well i remember reading(before the whole blow up between Roger and Lucinda) that Amber was ready to tell Reed she wanted to move into the house with him........then all this happened with Devon so now what? When is she just going to tell him? I hope soon. It would really make him happy.

Chris

~Penny~ said...

It's too bad that Amber is so young. She drives me nuts with her crazy antics but she is right, she is only 19.

Age is just a number, I know a lot of 19 year olds that more mature..

Vikki said...

Amber is just being a good friend. Me and my girls are the same way. Some say nosey or buttinski, I say protective and loyal.

Good Post :^)

Anonymous said...

I don't think Amber should feel obligated to move in with Reed. Think about it, she already moved back to town and gave up the other life she was starting for Reed. I think that's a big enough step for now.

Anonymous said...

Reed is absolutely right. Amber acts like a five year old most of the time. I'm 20 years old and I usually catch myself rolling my eyes at her antics and wondering if its possible for anyone to be this childish.

Jaiden said...

I think Amber needs to figure out what she wants. She says she wants to be with Reed but then she's always starting arguments. She wanted to move in with him and she has never done anything about it. She needs to let her friend figure out what she wants as well.