Friday, April 27, 2007

Conversations Take Up So Much Time

I woke up this morning to an alarm going off, at first I was wondering why the hell I set the alarm. But then I heard Reed groan as he rolled over to turn off the alarm. "Morning Berrylynn," he said softly as he settled behind me once again.

"Good morning," I replied, half turning to smile at him. He had his eyes closed and a smile on his face. "What are you smiling about?"

"I'm happy," he told me as his arm tightened around me.

"Yeah?" I turned to face him, wrapping my arm around him.

"Mmhmm," he opened his eyes to gaze at me. "Happier than I've been in a long time."

It was a little weird to be with Reed like this, not a bad weird though. It was more like this was the way I wanted to be with him before Alexis was born and now that it's happening I don't know what to do. I don't want anything to screw it up. I don't want to screw it up.

Unfortunately we couldn't stay like that for long, he had to get up to get ready for work and I had to get up to check on Alexis.

I guess it's pretty apparent that the talk we had last night went well. Although, I have to admit that I didn't throw everything on him at once. Maybe I should've said more but he was looking so tired again, I didn't want to stress him out more.

But before I tell you about that, I'll ramble on about what I did while Reed was working.

I knew that one of the first things I had to do was go make sure that my mother knew I was in town. I didn't tell Reed that she didn't know, nor did I tell him not to say anything, so I'm betting that he'll mention it to my father that I was there with Alexis.

Seeing it was Thursday I knew exactly where to find her. At 11am every Thursday for at least the past couple years, my mother meets the 'girls' at the club for brunch. The 'girls' consists of Reed's mother, Devon's mother and a few other women who's names I never remembered because I really don't like them.

It felt strange to walk into the club with Alexis on my hip. Strange because it seemed like everyone stopped what they were doing to turn and stare at us. But I didn't care, they could stare all they want, I am proud of my daughter.

I made my way over to where my mother and her friends always sat. My mother was back on to me as was Lucinda, so neither one saw me approaching. Devon's mother, Barbara happened to look up when I got closer. She stared at me for a moment before she gasped. "Oh my word! Lenore, you didn't tell us Amber was joining us!"

"Amber?" My mother turned around to look up at me. "Amber!" Mom jumped out of her chair and hugged Alexis and me before she realized what she did. Backing off slowly, she gave me this confused look. "When did you get here?"

I smiled, "I got in town yesterday mother." A waiter appeared at my side, offering me a chair to sit down. Thanking him, I sat down with Alexis in my lap. When he saw her he asked if I wanted a chair for the 'little miss'. I politely told him she was fine where she was; I wasn't planning on staying that long.

Once the waiter was gone, everyone seemed to speak at once, asking me questions.

"Why didn't you tell me you were in town?" My mother asked.

"Does Reed know you are here? Has he seen Alexis?" Reed's mother wanted to know.

"Oh she's so cute!" Babara exclaimed, "How old is she?"

"Of course she's cute! She looked like my Reed."

"What is that supposed to mean?" My mother glared at Lucinda, "I'll have you know Amber was a beautiful baby!"

"I didn't mean she wasn't Lenore, I was just saying Alexis looks more like Reed than Amber."

Alexis was looking back and forth between her grandmothers with this half grin on her face as they argued about who she took after. "Da da!" She said finally, stopping all conversation between them.

"Thank you Alexis," I kissed the top of her head.

"Amber, you didn't answer my question."

I smiled at my mother, "I didn't tell you I was coming because I wanted to surprise Reed."

"So you've seen him this morning?" His mother asked.

"Yes," I shouldn't help but grin, I tried to hide it by bowing my head but they saw it.

Lucinda raised a brow, "Is there something you would like to tell us?"

I laughed, "There's nothing to tell." I looked at my mother and I could tell she didn't believe me but she didn't say anything else about it.

Alexis and I stayed for a half hour more before she started to get restless and want to play with toys.

We were just outside the doors of the club when my mother caught up to with me. "Amber," she held my arm to stop me from going any further. "Why don't we go get lunch?"

I shook my head, "Didn't you just eat?"

"Fine, then lets go back to where you are staying and talk," she said with a smile on her face. I was going to tell her no but I decided what the hell. "Just let me call Henry to come and get us."

"Why?" I asked as I pulled out the keys to the Jeep, "Come on mother, let me show you want Reed bought Alexis." My mother couldn't believe it when she saw the Jeep, she almost flipped, she didn't think it was right for me to accept the Jeep from Reed. "It doesn't look good darling, people are going to talk."

I laughed, "Mother they are already talking about me! Do you think I care what they say?"

She thought about that for a moment, "No I guess you don't Amber, you never did." She got in the Jeep without another word. The drive to Reed's place was a silent one, the only one saying anything was Alexis, she kept babbling to herself.

My mother didn't say anything until we were seated in Reed's living room and Alexis was playing contently on the floor close by. "Amber," mom turned to me. "I hope you aren't leading Reed on, he really loves you honey."

"I know mom," I smiled. "I love him too."

I spent the entire afternoon with my mother, we talked more yesterday than we've talked in the last couple years. It was nice to be able to tell her what's been going on since I left, and how I feel now that Reed is back in my life. My mother left around 3, she had some dinner plans with my father she wanted to get ready for but she promised that she would come around to see me again while I was in town. "I hope that you move back Amber, I've missed you so much," she told me before she left.

While my mother was here Reed called to tell me that he would be home around 6 and he asked me where I'd like to go for dinner. I told him I wanted to stay at home and he sounded so relived but he tried to cover that up, "I don't have a cook Amber and I don't know if I have anything in the cupboard to eat."

I asked him to let me worry about that. After I hung up with him, I checked his cupboards and he wasn't kidding, he didn't have much in there at all. I quickly made a list of what I wanted then Alexis and I headed out to the grocery store.

We were cruising the fresh fruit section when I heard someone gasp and call out my name. Turning, I came face to face with Janie. "Oh my god!" I threw my arms around her, "I can't believe it's you!"

"I was just going to say the same thing!" She laughed, "What are you doing here? Oh!" She was looking at Alexis, "Isn't she adorable! Hey there," Janie reached out her hand to Alexis, she grabbed hold of one of Janie's fingers and pulled it to her mouth. "Hey Lexi."

"What did you just call her?" I stared at Janie.

"Lexi," Janie turned to me. "That's what Reed always calls her," she paused. "It's ok, isn't it?"

I nodded slowly, "I didn't realize that you and Reed hung out much anymore."

Janie frowned, "I see Reed a lot when he's with Devon."

It was my turn to frown, "Why when he's with Devon?"

Janie looked around at the people who were standing around shopping, "Can we talk about that later?" I hesitated and she leaned in and whispered. "There are things I've done that some people can't find out about."

"With Reed?" I asked, hoping that it wasn't true.

"No," Janie scoffed. "He's yours Amber, I would never go there."

I smiled, I didn't like to lay claim to Reed but to hear someone else say it made me smile. "Ok but you'll tell me what you are talking about?"

She nodded, "Yes let's get out of here." We quickly ran through my list and went through the check out. I told her I was staying at Reed's which didn't seem to surprise her. She followed me there and helped me bring in all the groceries.

Once we had everything put away and Alexis was happily playing with her toys in the playpen, Janie and I started to make supper. "So what did you mean?" I asked her.

"I'm still seeing Devon," she told me.

"What?!?!" I almost dropped the knife I was using. "But Reed told me he's engaged!"

"I know!" Janie groaned, "And I know I shouldn't even be giving him the time of day but Amber I can't help it." I raised a brow at her. "I know what you are thinking! And you are right, I should be ashamed of myself!"

"Why are you involved with him Janie? Especially after the way he treated you when you two were dating?"

Janie gave me this grin, "The sex is great?"

I rolled my eyes, "Janie! He's engaged!"

Janie sighed, "I know he is Amber. But -"

"But nothing Janie! No matter who great the...sex...is" I shuttered at the thoughts of anyone wanting to be with Devon. "You shouldn't be messing around with him! What happens if you get pregnant?"

"We are careful Amber."

I laughed, "So was I!" I pointed to Alexis, "But we still managed to create Alexis."

Janie was quite for a while, she finished chopping the peppers for the meat sauce I was making. "I don't want to be alone Amber." She sighed, "I haven't met anyone who lasts. At least I know where I stand with Devon, I'll never be with him and I'm ok with that."

"Janie there are a million guys out there who are better suited to you. And there may be some who are available too!"

"Funny," Janie laughed. "I've been thinking about ending it with Devon." She went on to tell me about the things that Devon does that ticks her off. By the time she was done, she was livid. "What the hell am I doing? He's a jerk and I deserve so much better than that!" She jumped, "Amber I have to go, I was supposed to meet him a half hour ago." When I asked her why she was going to meet him after what she just told me, "I'm going to tell him it's over." She left not long after, telling me that she'd call me to tell me how it went.

6 rolled around and supper was ready, I was just waiting for Reed to come home. It was quarter to seven before he walked in the door, I was on my way upstairs with Alexis, she was very sleepy. "Hey darling," Reed gave me a weary smile.

"Hey," I muttered. I was upset that he didn't call to tell me that he wouldn't be home on time. "Dinner is sitting on the stove, if you are hungry, we already ate." I didn't wait for him to say anything, I took Alexis up and put her to bed. I was debating just going to bed myself when Reed came upstairs.

"Amber?" He crossed the floor to me and went to pull me into his arms but I stopped him. "Darling please don't push me away. I'm sorry I wasn't home on time, I wanted to be here with you and Alexis."

"Why didn't you call?"

"I didn't think I would be that long, my father wanted to talk to me. Then when he was done, your father called me and started to ream me out for not telling him that you were in town." Reed rolled his eyes, "He seems to think that I'm trying to keep you from your mother."

"What? I spent most of the afternoon with my mother."

"I know! He told me that, but I guess he thinks that you should've went to their house when you came to town yesterday, not here."

I rolled my eyes, "That was my choice!" He nodded. "You know, I'm really getting tired of people butting into my business. Your friend included!"

Reed frowned, "My friend? Devon?"

I nodded, "Yes him. He's really getting on my nerves!"

"Amber," he chuckled. "You don't even see Devon."

"No, but that doesn't stop him from judging me and trying to keep us apart."

"What are you talking about?" He was clearly confused.

I tried to change the subject, I asked him if he ate and if he needed a shower. He told me he are while I was putting Alexis to bed. "Amber just tell me what you are talking about. Why do you think Devon is trying to keep us apart?"

"Let's go downstairs," I said as I started down. He had no choice but to follow me.

***

Damn! There's someone at the door. I'll have to finish this later...probably tomorrow.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

woohoo! LONG post :)

Anonymous said...

OMYGOD!!! WELL I GUESS I WILL JUST HAVE 2 GREAT POSTS ON MONDAY!!!!!

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! Do not answer the door, tell the butler to send them away!

Anonymous said...

I bet it is Devon at the door...

Anonymous said...

Nice post - I'm glad Amber's spending time with her mom.

Hey did anyone else come up with the thought that Amber should introduce Janie to Chris?!?! Or would that be way too weird? Amber moves in with Reed and Janie moves in to Amber's apartment. Hey it could work - maybe ;)

So I wonder who's at the door - Devon? Janie? Lucinda? Maybe it's Chris!!!!

Anonymous said...

It'll be Devon at the door freaking cause Janie dumped him

Anonymous said...

Yeah - how convenient, someone at the door! You are such the tease! Guess I'll have to wait until Monday & read THREE posts?!

Have a great weekend!
Stacey

Anonymous said...

AAARRRGGGHHHH another cliffhanger. Good thing we only have to wait until tomorrow instead of wheneverthehellthebloggerfeelslikepostingagain..........lol

Anonymous said...

thank you for the loooong post. That was great:)
L

MJ said...

Anon 1:53 I thought the same thing about Janie and Chris getting together. I think it's Janie at the door, call me crazy but I definately don't think things went well with her and Devon....