Monday, April 16, 2007

Do You Know What Happens When You Sleep?

I couldn't believe how well I slept Friday night, I woke up around 7 feeling so ready to start my day.

Crawling out my bed, I didn't bother to slip on my robe because I didn't think that Reed would even be awake yet. And I was right. When I pulled the door opened to listen for movement, all I heard was soft snoring coming from that way. He's out like a light, I found myself laughing.

Slipping down the hall, I still couldn't believe how well it went between Chris and Reed the night before. I was expecting there to be tension but they seemed to forget that I was in the room some of the time. I didn't mind that at all, I wanted the two of them to get along.

It's so much easier to explore my relationship with Chris if there isn't awkwardness between the two of them, I thought as I splashed water on my face.

As I left the bathroom I started to think about what I would do that day. Well, Reed said the play group was from 10 until noon, so that gives me two hours to do something on my own. I sighed, but what? I have never had that much time to myself to do anything. Too bad Chris is working, otherwise I'd go see if he wanted some company.

On my way back to my room, I heard something that I wasn't expecting. Stopping in my tracks to listen, I only had to wait a moment before I heard the sound again. "Da da da da da," I laughed as Alexis' small voice carried through her door. "Da da da da da." She wasn't saying it all that loud, in fact it seemed like she was just saying it normally. I admit I was curious to what she was doing.

Tip toeing to her door, I carefully turned the knob and opened the door slightly. "Da da da da da." Alexis was sitting up in her crib with the bunny that Reed gave me for Easter, her eyes were focused on the picture of Reed and me which still sat on the stand by the crib. "Da da da da da," she said again as she played with the bunny's ears.

I chuckled, I didn't think it was all that loud but Alexis turned towards the door and kind of tilted her head as if to see who was there. "Da da da da da," it sounded more like a question this time as she knelt up and held her hands out towards the door.

Pushing the door open, I smiled at her. "Hey snuggle bug."

Her arms dropped a little, it seemed like she was disappointed to see me, "Da da da da da."

I walked into her room and picked up her and the bunny. "You want to see daddy?" I asked, even though I didn't have too. "I'll bring you out to see him but you have to be quiet, daddy's sleeping still."

"Da da," she looked towards the door.

"Shhh," I held my finger up to my mouth, "Daddy's sleeping." Alexis gave me a half grin but she didn't say anything.

When we walked out into the living room and she saw Reed on the couch her face lit up. "DA DA!" She held out her arms as she tried to get down. Reed shifted on the couch but he never woke up.

"Shh," I held up my finger again and this time she did it too. "That's right Alexis, we have to be quiet."

I walked over to the couch and stopped. "See daddy's sleeping?" I looked down at Reed for the longest time. When did he remove his shirt? I wondered, I know he was wearing it when I went to bed. And that thought was soon followed by, I wonder what else he's not wearing? A quick glance towards his bags told me that he also removed his pants after I went to bed. Is he naked under there? My eyes went wide at that thought, and I could feel the heat rising within. Oh Lord what if he is naked? I bit my lip, should I check it out? For Alexis' sake that is, I wouldn't want her to see him naked. I glanced at Alexis, only I should see daddy that way.

I gasped, did I just think that???

Alexis was wiggling in my arms, she wanted to get down with her daddy. I gently placed her on the couch and as soon as I removed my hands, she went to grab for Reed's hair. "No Alexis," I frantically whispered as I grabbed her hand. "Daddy is sleeping."

Her little face started to take the form of the crying face, "Oh snuggle bug!" I sat down on the couch and pulled her into my arms. "Mommy didn't mean to snap Alexis," I looked down at her, her little lip trembled as she pointed to Reed. "Ok, but remember shhh."

When she got down this time, she crawled over to him and laid down next to him. Reed was on his stomach with his arms under his pillow, facing the wall. I watched as Alexis turned on her side to face him, she reached out and touched his shoulder with her hand. "Da da?" Her voice was so soft that if I didn't know she spoke, I wouldn't have heard it.

I'm not really sure how it happened but not long after this, I ended up lying down with the two of them.

Alexis closed her eyes and hugged the bunny close, her hand was still on Reed's shoulder but she was on her back again.

I watched her for a while but soon my gaze rested on Reed. The back of his head, his shoulders, then blankets that rested at his waist.

And that's when I found myself taking a walk down memory lane.

10 comments:

LDRN said...

I'd really like to see what the deal is with Reed. I think he's backed off & trying to let her do her own thing. I think he stil loves her, but I also think she's sending mixed signals....
I hope she figures out who she wants before Reed finds someone else!
I think she needs to back off from Chris--I smell a bad guy lurking....
Love your blogs!

Anonymous said...

I think I am liking Reed more and more and trusting Chris less. I guess only time will tell who the "right" guy is.

Anonymous said...

i agree with LDRN!!!

i really hope he doesn't find someone else before she figures shes in love with him.

Anonymous said...

I agree with LDRN also. Chris seems like a potential abuser to me... Also what's up with Reed's e-mail going to the junk folder? Does someone have Amber's password to her account to block his e-mail?

Anonymous said...

Oh I don't know ladies - I think Reed may already have someone..... That's why he hasn't taken advantage of any of the "situations" he and Amber have been in. I think he's hanging out and being nice to get in her good graces and then there's gonna be a visitation/custody issue that happens. I just have this feeling that things are to good to be true. I think Chris will end up being the good guy when all is said and done.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, interesting anon 2:24...I didn't think of something like that! But Reed's been so up front with Amber lately; I dunno if he'd hid something like that. Personally, I'm hoping for Reed. It'd be such a feel-good result. Seriously, a chick-flick could be made with this story line! Unless there's already been a similar one... =P

MJ said...

I think if anything, Reed's parents want to push for custody, and Reed probably just wants the three of them to be a family. I'm still waiting for Chris to slip up and do something extremely stupid. He definately seems like he could become an abuser.

This Alice Life said...

It's really not fair for Amber to be sending these intensely mixed signals to Reed. And personally I think it would be soo cute if the three of them were a family again.

Anonymous said...

Chris isn't a bad guy, he just made a mistake.

Amber should give him a fighting chance. Reed isn't good for her.

Anonymous said...

Okay, Chris is definitely an abuser. The cold look that was in his eyes and the way he squeezed her arms until they bruised...not an accident. That's what abusers do, repent and say they'll never hurt you again and it wasn't on purpose, then BAM! It happens again.

Reed is a good guy. You can tell he really cares about Amber, in spite of the mixed signals she puts out there. He's been nothing BUT good to her so far, there's no real reason to hate him yet ;).