Monday, April 2, 2007

A Night On The Town

I've been fuming all damn day. There were so many times today that I wanted to pick up the phone and scream at someone again but I didn't have the energy to do it. I was feeling so low that even leaving the apartment to go for a walk with Alexis didn't help. Plus she is still a little sad over Reed not being here. I wanted to look her in the eye and tell her that she is better off without her lying sorry excuse of a father in her life but I didn't. I knew it would be wrong to force my feelings of ill will towards her father on her. God knows I've been subject to that a time or two growing up.

As Alexis and I were coming home from the park we ran into Chris on the stairs, I was so wrapped up in my own little world that I didn't even see him. I heard someone say 'hello' but I didn't look up, I just mumbled a 'hello' and continued on my way. I was to my door before it even clicked in that it was Chris. Oh crap! I thought as I looked down the stairwell, he was still standing in the spot where I passed him, he was looking up at me expectantly. "Hey Chris," I smiled apologetically.

"You know," he started back up the stairs towards me. "I was just knocking on your door to see if you wanted to go grab something to eat."

"Is that so?" I couldn't help but feel excited. "Alexis and I would love to join you for dinner." I told Chris I just had to grab some stuff for Alexis and then we were off.

I expected for him to take me to a fast food restaurant or a lower end restaurant, not because he was cheap or anything but just because it was a spur of the moment invitation. I was pleasantly surprised when he pulled into the parking lot of Cedar Grill, probably the most classy, expensive place in town to eat but it was so worth it I heard. I was a little worried about going in there with him, not because I couldn't afford my own dinner but because I didn't feel that I was dressed appropriately.

Hesitating slightly, I looked over at him. "Is everything ok Amber?"

I nodded, "Yeah. Everything is fine." I turned to open the door and hopped out of his truck. By the time he came around to the passenger side of the truck, I almost had Alexis out of the back seat. "Come on, let me get her," he placed his hands on mine and pulled them away from Alexis. After I moved out of the way, he leaned in and picked her up. "So are you going to steal food off mommy's plate again tonight?" She gave him a smile as she brought her hands up to her mouth.

Having never been in the restaurant before, I was really impressed. The hostess sat us at a table in the back, which Chris had requested, 'So we can talk without being interrupted by other patrons always passing by' he whispered to me. After I sat Alexis in the highchair that they gave me, I sat down on the chair closest to the wall, we had removed the other chair so we could put the highchair at the table. Chris was still standing, removing his jacket when the waitress came to take our drink order. I tried not to stare at him but he looked so good in his black casual pants and smokey gray sweater that clung to every muscle of his torso.

"Amber?" Chris was now sitting down, looking concerned. Mentally shaking myself, I asked him what was wrong? "What would you like to drink?" He nodded towards the waitress who was trying to hide a smile behind her notepad.

I blushed and glanced at Alexis who was busy chewing on her fingers as she babbled. "Can I get a glass of water - lots of ice and a Pepsi please?" The waitress nodded and went to turn away. "Oh! I also need a bowl or cup of hot water, enough to place this in." I showed her the bottle of baby food that I was going to try Alexis on.

Soon the waitress came back with our drinks and we placed our food order. Chris ordered steak and shrimp - an 8 ounce steak with two shrimps skewers which also included the baked potato, mixed vegetables, garlic bread and the soup that he picked from the list; I ordered chicken souvlaki which came with rice, mixed vegetables, Caesar salad and garlic bread; and Alexis got the bottle of carrots that I warmed up for her although she seemed more interested in chewing on the piece of real carrot that she managed to snag from my plate again.

Dinner was so good! Not only was the food hot and delicious; Chris was as well! They always say a person can't have their cake and eat it too but as I chewed my way through my meal while I watched and listened to Chris, I couldn't help but think that saying was so wrong. Not only was he good looking and kind, he was also smart and funny; I was having the time of my life, I didn't want it to end.

But like all good things, dinner had to end sooner or later and ours ended with Alexis almost doing a face plant on the highchair tray from being so tired. "I guess I should take you two home," Chris commented as I pulled her from the highchair and excused us to the bathroom so I could clean her up.

When I got back to the table, Chris was waiting with his jacket already on. He helped both me and Alexis into our jackets before taking Alexis in one arm and sliding his other arm around my waist. We were in his truck and halfway home when I remembered the bill! I mentioned it to him and he told me it was taken care of and he refused to tell me anything more about it. "Amber, it was my treat."

I wanted to say something more on the subject but I figured that I would drop it for now and the next time pay the bill before he did. It was only fair.

When we reached our building and parked, Chris once again took Alexis up and held out his hand to me. My entire insides were singing when I slipped my hand in his. He held my hand the entire way up the stairs and after we stepped up the final step but before we turned the little corner to my apartment, he stopped me with a tug on my hand. "Hey, I was thinking. Did you want to come in and watch a movie?"

Did I? Of course I did, I didn't want this night to end but as I looked at Alexis I knew I couldn't go over to his place. "I'd like that but," I lifted my free hand and brushed hair back from Alexis' forehead. "I should get miss snuggle bug here in bed."

"Oh," he said, sounding very disappointed.

"Well you could come over if you wanted," I smiled up at him as I stepped closer. "We could watch a movie at my place."

"Yeah?" I nodded. "Ok, did you want to put Alexis down first?" Again I nodded. "Ok, I'll go change into something that will let me breath and I'll be over in ten." He said that but he didn't move, he stood there gazing down at me.

"What's wrong?" I asked as I nervously wet my lips, his gaze flicked to my lips and then back to my eyes. Oh yes please! I don't know if he heard me or if he decided to go for it but a few seconds later he released my hand and slid his arm around my waist, pulling me against him. Lowering his head, he brushed his lips against mine once before he covered my mouth with his. I found myself reaching for him as our kiss deepened.

Nothing could have ruined that moment for me.

Well nothing except, "Daaaa!"

Chris and I jumped back from each other, I looked at Alexis while Chris looked around the hallway. "Daaaa!" Alexis lunged forward in Chris' arms, straight into the outstretched hands of, "Daaa!"

I think it's going to be a long night.

Chris, after assessing the situation asked for a rain check on the movie. I didn't want to take a rain check but he told me it was best to deal with Reed now. "I'll be here if you need anything," he told me, then he pressed a kiss against my lips before he disappeared into his apartment.

I let Reed in my apartment and went to change.

He is putting Alexis to bed right now.

And then I guess it's time for another thrilling half conversation with Reed.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

~gasp ~gasp~ i guess it's going to be a long night for amber!!! And Chris is soooo sweet!!that's was like the perfect date!!! reed must be fuming to see them together..kissing!!!
O boy!! i can't wait to see what's going to happen next!! i can feel the tension already!!! and reed better has a great excuse for everthing that happend in the past!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

WOW, this just gets better and better, I am so and addict!!

RJ

Anonymous said...

What an amazing date, but to have end w/ Reed standing there!
Yikes!
L

Anonymous said...

I think Chris is the best! What a sweet guy. Then again, our great author will probably explain everything with Reed in the next post, and I'll start lovin Reed too. Can't wait for more!

Misty

Anonymous said...

I think Chris is the best! What a sweet guy. Then again, our great author will probably explain everything with Reed in the next post, and I'll start lovin Reed too. Can't wait for more!

Misty

Anonymous said...

I love Chris! Stupid Reed getting in the way. :p I can't wait to read what happens next!

Anonymous said...

Must be nice that Amber has her apartment paid for and doesn't have to work. She has it easy compared to normal single moms, so I dont know why she's so miserable all the time. Maybe if she had a job to keep her busy, she wouldn't have so much drama.

Anonymous said...

i have to agree. she has someone paying her bills for her!
really, if i'd had that when i had my first child, things would have been so much easier. i'd take any amount of boy drama in return for food security for my baby.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm sure it's wonderful to have someone pay all your bills, just so you will stay out of your families lives, because you are an embarrassment to your family because you got pregnant.

Her parents dumped her, isn't family suppose to support you, I think she made a mistake by getting pregnant, but she made the right choice by keeping the baby, she wasn't being selfish like her parents.

How many of you would really turn down that offer of all bills paid, etc., she has paid the ulitmate price, she has been paid to stay away from her selfish parents. She's better off without seeing them, any wonder she doesn't have worse issues, these are minor.

Way to go Amber!!

Anonymous said...

some families would have done that anyway, and chosen not to support their daughter.
she is better oft than most.

Anonymous said...

Judging by the way her family is, she's better without them. And the 10:14am comment is so true...many families wouldn't have given any support at all. Amber definitely has it good.

Anonymous said...

this is soo amazing. i cannot wait for todays post.

Anonymous said...

Hey where are you???
PCS

Anonymous said...

no pressure but are you posting today?