Wednesday, April 25, 2007

We're On Our Way

I'm a little confused right now. I not long ago got off the phone with the last person in the world that I wished to talk too and certainly the last person I would believe.

It wasn't a long conversation because I had no desire to talk to this person but it was interesting.

I was finishing up the breakfast dishes when the phone rang. I didn't bother to look at the caller ID. "Hello?"

"Hello Amber, how are you this morning?"

I almost dropped the phone, "Devon what the hell do you want? I'm busy!"

"Busy? Doing what? Spending Reed's money?"

I rolled my eyes, "Listen Devon I have no control over what Reed does, it's his choice to pay for everything. I didn't ask him to do that."

He laughed, "No, you didn't tell him to stop either."

"You have no idea what I said to Reed about this, he still chooses to pay for everything." It was true, I tried to approach his footing the bill a couple times and each time he told me not to worry about it, he was doing it because he wanted too. And honestly, I don't have the guts to argue with him about it because the thoughts of having to struggle with paying bills, working and taking care of my daughter make me nauseous. I'm not in the situation where I have to worry about it like I was when I was first left home.

"Chooses? Amber do you think he would be paying for everything if you weren't too lazy to get off your ass and work?"

If he was close to me at the moment, I would slap him. "For your information Devon, I was working before I moved here, it's only because Reed is paying for everything that I'm not. So why not get your facts straight, or better yet, talk to Reed before you go shooting off your mouth!" I took a deep breath, "What do you want Devon? Why are you calling?"

"Just wanted to see how you are doing," he laughed. "I'm sure that it must be hard to know that everything as you know it soon will be coming to an end."

"What are you talking about?"

"You mean Reed didn't tell you?" He sounded surprised but the tone was a little off.

"What didn't Reed tell me?" I asked, not that I would believe anything he said but I wanted to know what he would say for when I got talking to Reed again.

"About the wedding? It's going to be the event of the summer, too bad you aren't the bride!"

I knew that wasn't right, the moment he said it, I knew something was off. I didn't tell him that thought, instead I told him that whatever happens, happens for a reason. But he didn't like that at all, "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"I mean that if it were the case, I would've been told about it." I laughed, "Think about it Devon, do you honestly think I'm going to believe that Reed would do something like that and not tell me? Especially now?" Devon started to sputter. "Boy you really need to get a clue Devon! Reed isn't the player you are, if it were you I would totally see it. But he wouldn't do something like that! Now if you'll excuse me, I have a little girl here who wants some attention." I slammed the phone down, "Argh!"

When I turned to Alexis, she was looking at me, a little scared. "Da da?"

I went over to scoop her up, "No honey that wasn't daddy. But how about we call him?"

Grabbing the phone again, I settled back on the couch, I didn't bother to try his home number at all. Reed answered his phone on the second ring. "We need to talk," I told him, instead of saying hello.

"Amber! Darling, I was just thinking about you, did you get my messages last night? I waited until about ten before I went to bed." He paused and I knew what he was thinking.

"No," I told him. "I didn't check my messages I was a little upset with you about the night before."

"What?" Reed chuckled, "Amber we didn't talk the night before, I was going to call you but dinner with Devon and Annette ran a lot longer than I hoped!"

"Annette?" I asked him.

"Yeah, she's Devon's finance." The tone of his voice when he said that made me think he wasn't too impressed with her, so I asked him about her. "She has to be the most self centered person I know, everything is about her. And the giggling," Reed groaned. "I don't know how he deals with it, I wanted to stuff a pillow over her head!"

Giggling? I knew it! That bastard! I told Reed that we needed to talk, "I think there are some things you need to know."

"Well, I don't have much time now," Reed stated. "But I can call you tonight, if you are going to be home."

I sighed, "I think we need to talk face to face Reed."

"Oh," Reed sighed. "Amber I can't get away this week, that's why I was calling you last night. I can't come see Alexis this weekend."

I glanced down at Alexis who was sitting patiently with her hands to her mouth. "Oh, I'm sorry to hear that."

He went to say something else but someone interrupted him on his end. "I'm sorry Amber, I have a meeting right now, give Alexis kisses for me. I love you both." He hung up before I could even say anything.

When I hung up, Alexis grabbed the phone and held it to her ear, "Da da?"

"Oh honey, daddy had to go."

The look of sadness that crossed her face was too much for me. "You know what snuggle bug? I think it's time we saw what the Jeep daddy bought you can do."

So I have our bags packed and we are leaving as soon as I post this.

I'm nervous because this is Alexis' first long car trip, I hope she's road ready!

14 comments:

Meghan said...

I knew i didnt like Devon, and that giggling, who giggles when they say someoen is in the shower unless someone is telling them to say that and they know its not goign to go over well?? i hope they are goign to see reed. I absolutly love this blog, and i love it when its posted twice. thank you so much.

Megz

Anonymous said...

yay double post!!! i can't wait to see all the drama that will unravel when she goes home. her dad, devon, annette,(chris)...love it. i really hope that reed and amber could figure everything out before its too late!

-B

btw wats up with devon?

Anonymous said...

AHHH double posts are awesome!
I hope she is going to see Reed and figure out what is going on!
L

Anonymous said...

Chris sounds like a nice guy, I hope she doesn't hurt him.

Anonymous said...

I hope she buys a shotgun and blows Devon to bits. Okay, not really, but he is so unbelievable! I'm furious with him...why does he do all this crap? Agh! But, I am glad that we got resolution about everything. And other Meghan, my thoughs exactly. =)

-Meghan

PCS said...

yyyaayy double post!!!!
Finally amber actually doing something!!! You go girl!

Anonymous said...

It's about darn time!!!

Beth

Anonymous said...

I didn't even think to look for a double so I read them backwards! But that's ok! I realize Amber didn't look at the caller id but I can't understand why she would even waste her time talking to Devon! He is a totally PUNK! We should have all figured he was behind the "giggling whore"! I realize she didn't tell Reed she wouldn't date other people, but I think she needs to make up her mind! And no I still can't decide which team I'm on!

Stacey

Anonymous said...

OH GAWD, thank goodness Amber, go over there and kick some DEVON BUTT!!! I was sort of freaking out thinking that it was Reed who was going to get married, I really think that DEVON is in LOVE with you Amber and he's jealous that after all this time you still LOVE REED. I want to be greedy and say triple post, but I was just pleasantly surprised with the double post. Please post early tomorrow and have a safe trip!!

G

Heather said...

Devon is a narcissitic, feeble-minded dolt you need to squash. Do it with a smile-- calm but deadly. Good luck with Reed. Hopefully you rip the band aid off soon, and end things with Chris before they start. You really don't need the safety net. Done with unsolicited suggestions. I hope you get the opportunity to bury Devon, Amber. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

YES!! 2 posts! Thank you!
I love this, one of my favorites. I am so glad she is going to see Reed. I can't wait to see what is next and why Devon is being so mean to her.
Sandy

Anonymous said...

Way to go Amber... Drive safe and B*&% slap that Annette when you see her!

Anonymous said...

I am glad that Amber is finally taking some action! Reed and Amber have a lot to talk about! Like weather they are exclusive or not! And since she doesn't have a job- she can stay at Reeds for as long as it takes to get things straightened out! And long enough to Kick Devon's @ss and find out what his problem is!!!!!

~~EDK~~

Anonymous said...

Go Amber!!! hope she's spending the weekend with reed too so she can't be around when chris has his days off!!!