Sunday, April 15, 2007

Wow! Aren't We Civilized?

I don't know how long I clung to him as I bawled my eyes out. Time seemed to slow down, nothing else mattered now that he was here safe and sound.

Reed rubbed my back and softly told me how he got stuck behind the other accident. "It was horrible Amber. I swear there must have been about 6 cops cars on the scene, along with three ambulances and a couple firetrucks." I stopped him before he went into too much detail, I told him I saw it on the news and started thinking all sorts of bad things when he didn't show up here.

"Trust me, I would've liked to have been here with you and Alexis. I tried to call you a couple times but there wasn't a signal for my phone." He pulled his cell out of his pocket, "And then the stupid thing died!"

I laughed through my tears as I glanced at the phone, "I'm just happy you are safe." I kissed his cheek and wrapped my arms around his neck, hugging him tight. "I had to..." My voice trailed off as my eyes slid over Chris, who was standing just behind Reed. "Hey!" I smiled at him and went to move away from Reed.

"What?" Reed turned to see what I was looking at. "Oh hello Chris."

Chris frowned as he looked back and forth between us. He didn't say anything at first but then he nodded at Reed and put down his lunchbox to pull out his keys. "Is everything ok Amber?" His voice was filled with concern as he stared down at me.

I nodded and brushed away the remaining tears on my cheeks. "Reed was late getting here and there was this accident. I couldn't get hold of him and I started to freak." I turned to glance at Reed who was watching me with this amused expression on his face. "But he's here now, so I can stop freaking. OH NO!" I turned towards my apartment. "I called your mother, she's still on the phone!"

Reed put his hand out to stop me. "I'll go talk to her, let her know I"m ok." He glanced at Chris and then looked back at me. "Take your time," he whispered as he disappeared into my apartment and closed the door.

"Ok, so.." I turned back to Chris and watched him as he played with his keys.

"So..." he repeated as he glanced up at me. "I should probably go get a shower and go to bed." He stretched and yawned at the same time. "Today was rough."

"Yeah," I sighed as my eyes ran over his body. Everything was covered in mud, his face, his clothes. Even his hair had mud in it. He looked so tired and worn out that I wondered if he would even make it to the shower, or to bed. Bed, I groaned mentally. Why am I thinking about him in bed. I shook my head and turned my gaze back up to his face; he was smiling.

"Care to tell me what that smile is for?" He asked.

My eyes went wide and I blushed, "No!"

He chuckled, "If I wasn't so dirty, I'd kiss you right now."

"Oh yeah?" I stepped in closer to him and grabbed hold of his open jacket. "When has that ever stopped you before?" I stretched up on my tippy toes and he leaned down to give me a quick kiss. "Mmmm! Gravel," I joked as he pulled away.

Chris laughed, "Well I did say I need to shower." He kissed me again, "And maybe get something to eat too. I haven't had anything since about noon."

"No!" I said a little louder than I meant too. He gave me a funny look. "I meant, no as in 'come over to my apartment. I have an oven full of ribs and baked potatoes and a pot of rice'. If you are hungry enough to trust my cooking that is."

He hesitated for a moment, "Are you sure? I wouldn't want to interrupt your evening with Reed."

"You wouldn't be interrupting, it's not like we had anything planned. He was supposed to be here around supper time, so I cooked. But he was late and then," I sighed. "You don't have to if you don't want. I just figured that it would sa-" My words were cut off my Chris' lips.

"I would love to come over for supper," he told me. "But I need to shower first." He picked up his lunchbox and unlocked his door. "Give me around ten minutes?" When I nodded, he disappeared into his apartment.

Reed was just hanging up the phone when I walked in. "Mother says that you might be coming home when my grandmother comes to visit?"

I nodded, "I told her that we would talk about it though."

"Really?" He grinned. "Oh Amber you have no idea how much it would mean to me to be able to introduce Alexis to my grandmother."

"I think I do know, you've always been really close to her and she was always really nice to me. That's why I think it would be good for Alexis to meet her."

Reed hugged me, "Thank you Amber!"

When Reed released me I went into the kitchen to grab the plates and silverware to set the table. "What are you doing?" He asked.

"Well," I said as I sorted out the place settings. "I cooked supper because I thought you would be hungry when you got here. It should be ok still." I glanced at him. "I invited Chris over."

He nodded and headed into the kitchen, "So what did you make?" When I told him, he came running back into the living room. "Are you serious?" I told him I was and he disappeared back in to the kitchen and I heard the oven door open. "Oh dear God, yes!"

Chris knocked on the door at that moment and slowly pushed it open. Reed looked around the corner at him, "Come here." He waved Chris in. "Did she tell you want she made?"

Chris glanced at me, "Yes she did."

"Isn't Amber the best?" Reed asked before telling Chris to help him bring the food to the table.

I sat down and watched the two of them drool over the food as they brought everything to the table. "Oh lord!" I laughed when they sat down and dug in. "You'd think the two of you have never seen food before!"

Supper went a lot better than I thought it would with the two of them. Not once was there ever an awkward moment; if you didn't know any better you'd think they were friends long before I ever knew either of them. And that was a relief.

They pretty much cleaned up on all the food, both of them were groaning about being stuffed. But the moment I went to clear the table, they both jumped up and pushed me out of the way. While it was nice to get away from doing the dishes, I kind of felt left out as the talked and joked around in the kitchen.

It was almost midnight by the time Reed decided to head for the hotel. He checked in on Alexis before he went and told me he would be back as early as he could tomorrow. "The 'daddy and me' group is tomorrow," he told me as I walked him to the door.

Once Reed was gone, I flipped off the lights in the kitchen and the living room, leaving only the hall light on. "Is that my 'get out' sign?" Chris asked as he relaxed on my couch.

I lowered myself on the couch next to him and put his arm around my shoulder. "No," I said, turning to him. "I just don't need all those lights on."

"Mmmm," Chris turned his head, his eyes were closed but he managed to kiss my forehead.

"You are very tired, aren't you?"

"Mmhmm," his arm tightened around me. "Very tired."

His breathing changed and I knew he had fallen asleep but I wasn't about to wake him to tell him to go home. Instead I relaxed against him, my head was on his chest. As I listened to the steady beat of his heart, I felt my eyes getting tired until I finally closed them.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

We both jumped. He seemed a little disoriented and I barely managed to pick up the phone. "Hello?"

"They lost my reservation!"

"What? How did they do that?"

Reed sighed, "I don't know but it's not there! And that's not the worst part, they don't have a room for tonight! They are calling around to see if some other place has a room."

"Reed," I sighed. "Just come back here." Chris looked up at me when I said that.

"No Amber I'll find a room. I just wanted to let you know so you don't wonder if you call here for me."

I shook my head, "Reed it's just past midnight. Just come back to the apartment and you can crash on the couch."

"But Amber I-"

"I'm not asking you Reed!" I snapped, "I'm telling you to come back here now!" I growled and slammed the receiver down. "Men!"

I sunk back into the couch and turned to Chris. "What?"

He gave me a sleepy grin and shrugged, "I'm not saying anything." He wrapped his arms around me and held me, "I don't want you upset with me too."

I just smiled, I didn't know what else to do. I sat there with this silly smile on my face and I hugged him.

That's how we were when Reed came back in and dropped his bag by the couch. He said 'thank you' as he collapsed into the matching love seat.

11 comments:

Amber said...

I just want to let every one know that this blog was never meant to be updated every day...maybe a couple times a week at the most.

It's difficult to write two at once, and yes I know it was my choice to start this second one...I just don't wish to burn out on both and leave everyone with neither to read...

Most of the time when everyone is asking for a second post here, I'm sleeping ~l~ I work overnights, from 11pm to 7am...that's why most times you won't get a double if you ask ~s~

I hope everyone has a great day! I have to go write for the other one and then go get some sleep! ~s~

Nic said...

You can write whenever you want. I know we ask for more posts a day but that's only because you are a fantastic writer and we want to keep on reading. And we can't do that if you get a burn out.
So take your time writing. We will wait.

Anonymous said...

Yes, nic's totally right. Amber can take all the time she needs to write...of course that doesn't mean I won't be checking every day. =) I just think it's amazing how you can do it all. I'd love to start a blog (either real or fictional), but my life isn't interesting enough and I'm not the most creative of writers. =P

Anonymous said...

yeah take all the time you need we love this.

Anonymous said...

I'm so surprised that chris didn't freak out when he saw amber hugging reed. I mean.. he freaked out the other day just because reed was in her apt. Maybe he's not that bad or.. he's acting cool so he won't push amber away...

anyway, loving your posts as always. I do check a couple times a day for a new one but if it takes you a bit more time to post, it's ok... just don't wait too long =P

Anonymous said...

Amber, you are an amazing writer, so you take your time. I love both of your blogs. Great post.

April

Anonymous said...

Hi all,

Amber, you say you have two blogs? What is the other one please!

Keep up great work!

Linda

MJ said...

Hmm.. Chris may be calm now but what will he say if Amber decides to go home with Reed to see his grandmother? I don't think that will go over very well with him. I think he's holding his anger back for now and it's gonna blow up eventually. I mean after all, he did leave bruises on Amber's arms. I also think a lil somethin-somethin is gonna happen if Amber goes with Reed for a weekend or however long. Every time she gets close to Reed, she gets distracted because Chris always conveniently shows up at that time. It would be interesting to see what would happen if Reed and Amber were given the chance to spend some time together without Chris across the hall...

Anonymous said...

Don't stress about the requests for double posts - when you write as good as you do, we will always request them! :) Just means we love it, love it!

Stacey

Anonymous said...

don't mind us, we're just greedy and spoiled!!
you just keep writing at your own pace :D .

Willow.

Anonymous said...

Amber - I just want to say that I love this blog... I can tell your busy, but wanted you to know that in the couple of weeks I have been reading, you have hooked me!

As for the Chris/Reed thing. I am rooting for Reed :)