Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Another One Bites The Dust

I believe I misunderstood when he told me where we were having dinner. I thought for sure he said we were going to my parents' house but it was his parents' house that he pulled up to that evening. Dinner with both our parents was bad enough but having that dinner at his parents' house, where I had no means of escaping? It was downright scary.

"It won't be that bad," Reed whispered in my ear as we were led through to the living room. I tried to give him a smile but I couldn't. "I'll be here to protect you darling, if they get out of hand."

That made me feel a lot better, I stopped him to give him a kiss on the cheek before we entered the room. "Thank you Reed, you have no idea what that means to me."

Everything seemed to be going alright, we had drinks - well they had drinks, Reed and I had soda. Then we were led into the dining room for dinner. Conversation up to this point focused mainly on the men's work and our mother's social calendar, which I pretty much left me out completely. I tried to ask questions but after a few puzzled 'you should know this' looks, I gave up.

It was around the time that the main course was served that I finally felt included in the conversation. I had excused myself right after the salad plates were cleared, Alexis was getting sleepy so I went to put her down so she could nap. "You are so lucky you aren't expected to sit through the rest of dinner snuggle bug."

I stayed with her for as long as I could without appearing rude. When I returned to the dining room, they were just starting to serve the main course. "Did she put up much of a fight?" Reed asked as I took my seat next to him. He had wanted to go with me to put her down but he was pretty much told that he didn't need to go by his father. I knew that he was upset by this but he didn't say anything.

"She was wishing me luck on the rest of dinner as she gave me that 'I'm glad it's you not me' look," I whispered.

He laughed, "She did, did she?" Slipping an arm around my shoulders he kissed my cheek, "I'm sure you'll be just fine Berrylynn."

I could feel all eyes on us but I didn't care, I reached up to caress his cheek. "Only because you are here with me," I told him.

We started to eat the main course, which was beef. And that's when things changed focus.

"It sure was a surprise to see you the other morning Amber," his mother said. "I'm so glad that you brought Alexis here to spend time with Reed this week. Just seeing her a couple hours on the weekend isn't enough."

I wanted to say it should be enough seeing that's all he's really seen her while we've been here, but I bit my tongue and smiled. "Alexis was missing Reed and since he couldn't come down, it seemed like a good idea to come here to visit."

"I'm very grateful that you did Amber," Reed slipped his hand onto my thigh and gave it a gentle squeeze.

"What have you done since you've been here?" His mother asked, "Have you been to the house yet?"

"No mother we haven't, there really hasn't been that much time yet."

His father scoffed, "Nonsense! You just had the morning off! What did you do that was more important than showing Amber the house?"

Reed tensed a little, "We had other things that we needed to deal with father. I'll show her the house soon."

"Sooner the better Reed, you don't want Amber moving into a house that isn't set up! It's just not acceptable!" His mother shook her head, "I think it's just silly that you shell out all that extra money when you have a house that you two can live in just sitting there empty."

"Amber honey," my mother cut in as soon as Lucinda stopped talking. "I know a few really wonderful interior designers that will be more than happy to help you with the house."

"I'd recommend Nancy from Life of Design myself," Lucinda piped up. "She just did such an amazing job with the Maxwell's house last month. Their home is going to be featured in Today's Designer Homes next month!"

I stared at the both of them. When did I say we were moving here? Glancing at Reed I was surprised to see that he was actually smiling as he listened to them go on. Does he think that's what is happening here? Does he believe that we are coming back here to live?

"No Lucinda, that's not the kind of design Amber and Reed would be looking for. They'll need something that is baby friendly, for Alexis and all the other future grandchildren they'll give us."

"Oh! I just had the most wonderful idea Lenore." Lucinda leaned over the table a little. "How about Zoe from Livable Design for the baby's room? She just redid the First Steps Daycare a couple months ago and all the parents have had nothing but great things to say about the new design."

"Ladies please!" My father cut into their conversation. "I'm sure Amber would rather choose for herself who she lets decorate the house."

"Well of course she'll choose Carl!" My mother shook her head at him, she had this amused look on her face. "We are just throwing out names for her."

I looked across the table at my father, I was so happy he stopped them from going on. I wished I was close enough to him to actually thank him. He caught my look, he smiled at me and then said. "Maybe Amber has her own ideas about what she'd like to do with the house; she could do it herself." I raised my brow at this comment, did my father actually utter those words? Did he say I could do something?

"Carl!" My mother rolled her eyes, "Amber is not going to spend all that time decorating the ho-"

"You are right, I'm not." I cut in. "Since I don't live there, why would I waste my time?"

Reed's father looked up from his plate, "Of course you don't live there now Amber! You'll want to have the house ready for when you and the baby move back. There's no sense in putting it off until you have all your stuff with you, you may not even want most of it with the new design."

Laying my fork down by my plate, I looked him directly in the eyes. "Who said we were ever moving back here?" His father broke away from my stare to look at Reed and I did too. "Reed?"

He glared at his parents before he turned to me. "It's no surprise that I would like you to move back here Amber, to live with Alexis and me in the house. I've told you that before." He shrugged, "I don't see why we can't do that."

"Maybe the fact that I don't fit in here anymore Reed has something to do with it. I have a life that isn't here, Alexis has a life that isn't here."

His father grunted, "A life that my son pays for!"

"I never asked Reed to pay for a damn thing!" I snapped at his father.

"But you didn't turn it down either!" He snapped back. "Stop being a spoiled, selfish little brat; move back here and live in the house that he bought for you and the baby!"

I couldn't believe his father spoke to me like that. "Reed?" I looked to him for support.

There was a sadness in his eyes as he looked back at me. "I don't see why you don't want to be here Amber; I want you to be here."

"Reed you know why I-"

"No Amber I don't, you won't tell me what's going on. You say you love me and that you want to be with me but you are holding back from me and I don't know why." He looked away from me, looked down at his plate. "Is it Chris?"

"Chris?" For a moment I didn't know what he was talking about, I had forgotten about Chris. "No! It's not Chris, it's not anyone else. Reed, I..." I trailed off, I didn't want to have this conversation with our parents watching. "I don't think now is the time to talk about this."

Reed went to say something but my father cut him off. "Amber is right, now is not the time to talk about it. Some things are better left private." For the second time in less than an hour, my father was on my side, what the hell is going on?

"Fine," Reed snapped as he jabbed his fork at the vegetables on his plate. "We'll talk about it later."

But we didn't, at least not when we got home that night. He was still upset and locked himself in his office for the rest of the night. I went to bed and ended up sleeping alone, he never came to bed.

He was up and gone before I got up and I didn't hear from him all day. When he arrived home tonight, he barely said a word to me but he was all smiles for Alexis. Once she was in bed, he locked himself in his office again.

I woke up alone this morning...he was gone to work.

I think it's time Alexis and I went home.

26 comments:

Amber said...

I don't offend easily and I let a lot of things go here. But I will not take comments made to purposely offend readers of this blog.

I don't like to remove comments because I don't think opinions should be censored. This comment section is for comments on the blog and discussion of things in the blog, which everyone knows. I don't care what you have to say about the blog - good, bad or indifferent - but I will not have this comment section become like the ones of the magazine blogs out there, where everyone is arguing back and forth and persoanlly attacking others. That is the only thing that pisses me off.

If you agree with someone, that's great. If you don't, that's cool too. But comment on the comments and leave the commentors out of it.

So think about what you say and how you would honestly feel if it was said to you, if you think it would offend someone, then don't frigging say it!


Angela

Anonymous said...

Well said! It seems like Kindergarten all over agan at some of the mag blogs!
I think Amber needs to go home! It seems that everyone has her life planned for her, and they've left out one thing----AMBER! She needs some space, folks!
This is just a great blog!!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry if my "darling" comment offended anyone. I honestly didn't think that many people would be p.o.'d by my opinion. I'm entitled to my opinion, just as everyone else is. That's the last I'm saying on this subject.

~~EDK~~

Anonymous said...

I wonder if Reed told his dad that he wanted Amber to move into their house, and his dad purposely "misunderstood". He seems like one of those dad's that only half-listens to his kids, anyway, you know? He also seems to be a bit on the controlling side. Telling Amber "of course you should move your entire life over here!" , and all those hours he makes Reed work. It's almost like he's hoping to sabbatage their relationship.

~~EDK~~

Anonymous said...

hmmm i can see why reed is upset and why amber wants to go home. but i don't think it will be a good thing for amber to leave without talking about their problems

Anonymous said...

Keeping with the comment section of the blog....I was so disappointed at the end of this post. When I first started reading I really liked Chris but then as the story unraveled I turned to like Reed more but I am very annoyed by his lack of not speaking to Amber. I get such a headache when my husband goes for hours not talking to me. I just think it is childish. It was also sad to read that Amber is going home....

Anonymous said...

I liked how ambers dad finally stuck up for her I was really mad at how he handled things concerning alexis so he got some cool points for that as far as reed and amber are concerned I do think time apart is necessary but they should also date and get to know eachother again they can't after a year and months separation just jump to being married they need time to reconnect with eachother and amber needs to figure out what she wants to do with her life if she just wants to be a housewife or go to school or whatever she needs to decide then she will be able to be with reed

keisha

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that out of all people, it is Amber's FATHER who is taking her side.

This is so bizzare though. Doesn't Reed understand that things can't just pick up from where they left off? Just because she loves him doesn't mean she's going to throw everything aside for him.

Men... =P

-Meghan

Anonymous said...

I agree with all the comments, things are not going to be fine for a while there are still a lot of things needed to be discussed. I am so sad right now, not how I wanted her evening to go.

I await anxiously for the next post...*sigh*

G

Hadley said...

Wow--Reed said he would be there to protect Amber at the family dinner, but then he just ambushed her along with their moms and his dad. He should know that the time and place to discuss her moving is NOT at dinner with the parents. When Reed's dad threw it in Amber's face that Reed pays for everything, Reed really should have taken up for Amber. That baby is Reed's responsibility and he is doing the right thing by supporting her. Amber should not be shamed for accepting financial support from her baby's father.
I would like to see Reed and Amber work things out in the end, but Reed really messed up here!!

Anonymous said...

I think Amber is doing the right thing by leaving. If Reed is going to be such a hardhead and not talk about what happened - much less talk to Amber at all - I'd leave too. If Amber even considers moving back, she should move in to the new house with the baby and Reed should stay where he is. If they are able to work things out and decide to get married then he can move in with them. She shouldn't jump in to something she'll regret.

Anonymous said...

Blogs are great! I do enjoy reading them. I think its time for Amber to go home too. Everyone seems to be making up their mind for her. However I think she needs some kind of direction in her life. She needs to find something she'd enjoy outside of the home, going to school or something so she wouldn't feel so left out, bored, whatever the word may be.

Mehreen said...

Amber's father must be up to something...I can't believe Reed ambushed her like that! I do think that since Amber knows Reed is paying, maybe she should do something to take care of herself if she doesn't want to move back, but he's really pushing WAY too hard!

Shar said...

Although I would be ticked off if my bf didn't mention buying a house for me, I think the idea would grow on me pretty quickly. A house instead of an apartment would be awesome...imagine, a whole house to decorate...how fun! I suppose it won't be so fun for Amber with the moms so close by.

I also thought it was weird that Reed said: "It's no surprise that I would like you to move back here Amber, to live with Alexis and me in the house. "
It sounds like he's going after custody of Alexis. What do you think?

Shar

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Shar that is exactly what I was thinking when I read that line... I think Amber needs to figure out what she wants to do like school. She should also try to get some sort of small income so she can begin to support herself. I really like Reed but we cant blame him for locking hisself up (yay it is annoying) but Amber does basically the same thing.
Amanda

Anonymous said...

OOOHHHH!! I think Shar is on the M O N E Y!! How all of sudden does it become "Alexis & Me" from Reed? That is NOT good! I also think maybe Amber's father knows something about it and that is why he is sticking up for her because he can't really "do" anything about it since he works for Reed's father.

Run Amber, run! Not only is Reed being too pushy too fast, he just thinks you should move there so you can continue to live with "his" daughter!

Stacey

Anonymous said...

I think Amber needs to grow up a little. She keeps talking about this other "life" that she has, but she doesn't work, doesn't go to school, and doesn't have any friends. So what life is she talking about? For the last year it has been just her and Alexis. And all this time she blamed Reed for everything, when nothing was his fault. Granted he freaked when she first told him but HELLO he was young and drunk. That alone gets him a jail out of free card. I understand that she doesn't know what she wants to do with her life yet, but why does she need to be alone to do it? As someone who is married and has a one year daughter, you never stop growing as a person. You just find different ways to accomplish what you want. And you and your partner learn how to compromise so that you can both do whatever it is that fufills you

Anonymous said...

It's hard to imagine being only 19 years old and having access to so much money that your mother and future mother-in-law argue over who is going to design the EMPTY house (read, mansion) that is waiting for you and your baby. So glad this is just fantasy!!! : )

Anonymous said...

Maybe she'll just move back and be a trophy wife, just follow in the footsteps of her mother and Reed's mother. Maybe she can join their little Thursday afternoon "tea and crumpet" outings. Maybe Alexis will grow up to be the same way......or not.

Anonymous said...

I have to wonder how much Reed really cares for Amber. I wonder if he really does love her or if he's doing all this because he thinks its the "right" thing to do. He seems awfully quick to rush them into becoming the perfect little family....first with the proposal and then the house. If they really love each other and plan on spending the rest of their lives together what's the rush to get engaged/married? The fact that he didn't stand up to his father when he yelled at Amber makes me wonder if his father is putting him up to all of this. I wouldn't be surprised if Reed's father told him he had to do this to keep up the family image.

Anonymous said...

Maybe she'll just move back and be a trophy wife, just follow in the footsteps of her mother and Reed's mother. Maybe she can join their little Thursday afternoon "tea and crumpet" outings. Maybe Alexis will grow up to be the same way......or not.

Anonymous said...

I would love to see Reed and Amber work things out, but it bothered me how he just sat there and let his father yell at Amber! He should have acted like a man and stood up to his father.

Anonymous said...

Reed what are u doing? talk to her!!! otherwise shell go back to chris ! shhessshhhhh! lol anyways i dont want amber to go home....Reed and amber should talk about their problems

Annie Register said...

I think Amber feels lost and looked over b/c she lives in a world where the men work and the women socialize and obviously this isn't how she envisions her life. I think she would feel unfulfilled judging by how she reacts to her and Reed's mothers. There is no rule saying she can't go to college, volunteer, etc. She needs to find her purpose in life, her niche (other than being a fantastic mother of course). Just b/c "it isn't done" doesn't mean she can't be a working mom.

Anonymous said...

I think that Amber may be afraid of commitment, afterall, she's been alone shunned by everyone since Alexis was born, so she's used to fending for herself. After being pushed away, and being decieved by so many poeple that she used to trust, I don't blame her for wanting to run again.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Reed's parents, she is being a spoiled brat by not moving back andcontinuingto have reed pay for her lifestyle. If reedis going to continueto pay for everything that not just alexis but amber does too he should be able to dictate where they live and how. If amber doesn't like it she should get herself a job and see just how easy it is beingfinancially responsible for somoene.