Monday, May 7, 2007

A Man's Ego - A Strange Little Beast

I have to admit this, not that it would surprise anyone but I have been avoiding running into Chris. I didn't want to see him, I didn't want to have to explain to him about Reed and most of all, I didn't want him to try to touch me in any way. Now don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the guy, I just didn't know how I would feel seeing him and I didn't want to do anything with him that would jeopardized my relationship with Reed.

I told myself that I didn't owe him anything, we weren't really together, even though he did call me his girlfriend a couple times. I wasn't prepared to face him, so when I ran into him on the stairs last night, I froze.

I was walking up the stairs after checking my mail. I was sorting through some fliers so I didn't see him as he opened his door and stood in the hallway to wait for me to get up to him.

"Anything for me?" He asked softly.

"What?" My head snapped up so fast, I got a shooting pain in the back of my neck. I groaned and rubbed the spot.

"Here let me help," he moved faster than I thought he would and soon he was standing behind me, rubbing my neck. "I missed you this past week," he told me. "Where did you go?"

"I took Alexis to see her dad."

"Oh," he applied a little more pressure to my neck and it felt so good, I bit my lip to stop from groaning out loud. "How did it go?"

"It went ok," I told him. "They were both happy to see each other."

"Mmhmm. And how did you feel seeing him again?" Chris stopped rubbing my shoulder and turned me around to face him. "You didn't let me know you were going, you didn't come over and tell me you were alright when you got home. I was worried about you Amber."

"Chris I'm a big girl. I can take care of myself."

He smiled at me, "I know you can." Then it happened, his arms came around me and he brushed his lips against my cheek. "I'm so glad you are home again, I missed you." He lowered his head, his lips touched mine softly before he kissed me tenderly.

I don't know why but I didn't stop him. In fact, I kissed him back.

But it wasn't the same.

I didn't feel the same way as I did when Reed kissed me.

Something seemed like it was missing.

"Chris," I pulled back from him, he tried to kiss me again but I told him no.

"What's wrong?" He looked so confused.

I pulled out of his arms and grasp my doorknob. "I'm so sorry Chris but I can't do this. I can't see you anymore. Alexis and I are packing up and moving back home."

He stared at me like I had ten heads, "Why?"

"I want to be with Reed," I told him. "I love him."

Chris was silent, he didn't look too happy and I could see his jaw clench. I was a little afraid of what he'd do, I turned the knob in my hand, getting ready in case he reacted violently.

I waited for him to speak, I didn't have to wait too long though. But the words he spoke made my blood run cold.

"Once a whore, I guess..."

He went back into his apartment and slammed his door so hard the windows in the hallway actually rattled in their frames.

I was shocked and so pissed off at what he said, I wanted to bang on his door and tell him to go f*** himself, I wasn't a whore. But I didn't.

Like a coward, I entered my apartment and closed the door.

This morning when I woke up there was a piece of paper sitting just inside my front door.

Amber,

I'm sorry I said what I did last night. I had no right to say it. I wish you all the happiness with Reed but I know he won't make you happy. When you realize this, you know where to find me.

Chris


I stared, unblinkingly at the paper for a good five minutes before I balled it up in my hand and tossed it in the garbage can.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

RUN; don’t walk, if I ever learned anything from my first marriage, if he can treat you like in the beginning it can only get worse. His temper has boiled to the front burner more then once since she has known him.

I am not a fan of Chris/Amber or Reed/Amber.... I am a fan of AMBER! I really think she needs to look into school vs. work, Reed is there for her and so is her Dad, get your EDUCATION!!! That is the one thing that her daughter would be most proud of!

Great writing!

Kelley

Anonymous said...

Chris was very wrong to say that, but I have done that myself... said something hurtful to feel better about how bad I was hurt...
Not right but it happens!

Nice writing, I love reading your stories.. Keep up the good work.
Nicole

Anonymous said...

It sounds like I need to start reading from the beginning... :)
Nicole

Anonymous said...

Oh Nicole,

You so need to start from the beginning! It is a great story!

Kelley

Anonymous said...

Some serious true colors showing thru now! Good thing she is moving....leave no forwarding address. I admit I was confused between Reed & Chris in the beginning, but I guess this says it all! "You're a whore, but I love you"! Good riddance!

Stacey

Anonymous said...

Ya know what -

When Reed had to watch Amber with Chris, he sat by patiently - he let her figure her stuff out.

Now that Amber has asked that he step back to figure herself out, hes doing that too. He might not always be happy with her decisions - he might feel left out and feel scared of losing her, but it seems like Reed always gives Amber the space she needs to figure it out on her own without pressure from him.

I like Reed. At least right now ;)

Chris is always been protective and somewhat abusive. If not physically the verbally. NO GOOD!

Anonymous said...

OMG i can't believe Chris said that!!
Good thing to leave him!!!he's soo not worth it!!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes people say things they don't mean in the heat of the moment (speaking from experience)but this with the way he grabbed her arm and bruised her, not a good combination!
L

Anonymous said...

Wow i am shocked Chris said that. I thought he was going to be the good one. I think Amber is doing a good thing going back home and trying to figure out what she wants to be (other than a great mom). Wish i would have went back to school vs. getting a job when i was younger and had a great supporting guy and a little one. It sure would have mad a difference in the way my life is now. Great post, keep up the good work.

Chris

PCS said...

I thought too that chris was going to be the good guy until he left those bruises on her arm and know calling her names... that was thes last drop I think!!

She should walk away and never look back or think of him...

Anonymous said...

Chris spoke before he thought - that's all. We all do it and we all regret it and want to take it back afterwards - just like Chris did. I think Amber will miss Chris and regret leaving before too long.

I STILL think that Reed is too good to be true - nobody is that perfect. I truly believe that Amber is making a mistake. It may take her a while to figure it out but eventually she will.

Anonymous said...

Chris is not a nice guy. Yes, everyone says stupid things out of anger that they later regret, but what about those bruises he left on her arm earlier? He didn't mean to do that, either. Also, I found this comment a tad possesive,"You didn't let me know you were going, you didn't come over and tell me you were alright when you got home. I was worried about you Amber." It's pretty creepy that he would assume that she would have to check in with him everytime she leaves town, or gets back. Remember, she has only gone on a few "dates" with him, and they have never spoken about where their relationship is going. He just assumed they had one. Isn't that "I have to know where you are at all times" mentality a trait of people who are phyically and emotionally abusive? Just my .02.

~EDK~

Anonymous said...

I was totally caught off guard with this post. Although I haven't been a cheerleader of Chris, I didn't expect that comment either. It is a good thing she is moving out!!!

Anonymous said...

I still don't trust Reed! I agree that he just seems too good to be true. I hope Amber doesn't fall into his arms and forget about changing HER life! Get an education!
J

Annie Register said...

Here's how I see it...we all say things we regret, but that word crosses the line. And if he had of left bruises without the comment or vice versa it might be tolerable, but with both together...no way. Amber is right to want to figure herself out before she jumps into a relationship with anybody. I agree with everyone else; get an education!!

Anonymous said...

Reed can not be for real! Buckle your seatbelt Amber - I think you're in for the ride of your life. Like others have said - it's WAAAYYYY too good to be true.