Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Right Here Waiting

Yesterday when I didn't hear from Reed by noon, I was worried about what was going on, what he was doing. Whenever I tried to talk about it to Janie she kind of blew me off saying that I had nothing to worry about because Reed was one of the 'good guys'. But still, I worried. How could I not? He was rich, good looking and a nice guy...and if that wasn't enough, he is still technically single.

I knew he said he loved me and that he wanted us to be together but I couldn't help but think of all the other women that I knew would do anything to be taken care of for the rest of their lives. I knew that while we were together before, he had women throwing themselves at him, so why would now be any different?

By 2 yesterday, I had worked myself into such a state that I was sure he had moved on already. I couldn't handle it any more, I told Janie I was going back. "I just need to see for myself," I told her.

She told me I was crazy and repeated that Reed loved me. "Amber, he's not out doing something wrong, he's probably just really busy at work. Do you think he's going to like that you don't trust him?"

"I do trust him!" I snapped at her, "I just don't trust the whores around him!"

Janie laughed at me and I mean really laughed at me. "Fine, if you feel you need to go make a fool out of yourself, then be my guest."

I told her I would and went to pack. While I was packing there was a knock on my door so Janie got it. I heard her talking and laughing, so I went to check it out. "Janie who are you...?" The question died on my lips when I saw Chris standing in my apartment. "What the hell do you want?"

Janie gave me this shocked look, "Amber!"

I brushed past the two of them and opened my door, "Get out," I told him.

Chris came over to stand in front of me, "Amber I'm sorry about what I said. I didn't mean it, I swear."

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Janie gawking at us but I didn't bother to ask why. "I don't think you really are Chris."

"Of course I am!" He went to put his hands on my shoulders but he didn't. "I know you are mad at me, I know I've down some pretty stupid things Amber but I swear I never meant to hurt you." He leaned down and kissed my cheek. "I really wish we had a chance to get to know each other. I'm going to miss you." He turned to say bye to Janie and then he left my apartment, closing the door quietly behind him.

The second he was gone Janie grabbed my arm, "Oh my god! Who was that??"

I gave her a brief history and when I was done she was shaking her head. "I can't believe your luck! He's so hot and he seems really interested!"

"But he's a jerk," I told her.

Janie frowned, "Do you think any guy would be nice if you dumped him for someone else?"

"But the bruises..." I shook my head. "No, I made the right decision. I love Reed, I don't love Chris."

"But Amber he's so hot!"

I rolled my eyes, "Yeah well then you take him! I love Reed and I want to be with him! And if he ever calls me, I'll tell him that!!" I stormed off into my room, dumped everything out of my suitcase and sat down on my bed.

Janie came in my room and sat down with me. "You aren't going home?"

I gave a little laugh, "I don't know what I'm doing. I don't want to be here anymore Janie."

She didn't say anything, she just sat there with me for a couple minutes before she jumped up and grabbed my suitcase. "Go home Amber," she told me as she put my stuff back in my suitcase. When I went to ask her what she would do, she said. "Go see Reed. I'll stay here and finish packing up what you want to keep."

I didn't waste any time getting myself and Alexis ready to go. When we had everything in the Jeep again, I turned to Janie. "If you do get involved with Chris, please be careful. I don't want anything bad to happen to you."

She told me she would keep me posted as she hugged me. "You go and find that man of yours, I'll see you soon."

I drove off yesterday feeling very excited about seeing Reed again and feeling a little nervous about it too.

It was after 6 by the time I got into town last night. I stopped at a phone booth and called Reed's office to speak to him but his secretary told me that I just missed him. I tried his cell but there wasn't any answer, so I waited a few minutes and then called his house. Albert answered the phone and told me that he didn't see Reed yet and asked me if I tried his cell just now.

"Yes, I did." I told him.

He went on to tell me that it appears that Reed left his cell at the house. "I thought I heard ringing but when I answered the phone, there was no one there. I thought I was losing my mind!"

I laughed with him about that but I was wondering why Reed would've left his phone at home. "Can you just tell him that I called?" Alberta assured me that he would and I hung up. I wasn't sure what to do now. I got back in the Jeep and drove around for a while but Alexis was getting grumpy so I had to make a choice about what I was going to do.

I called Reed's house again but Albert told me that he didn't hear from him yet. I explained how I was in town and he told me to come over, he would he there for another few minutes, "I'll let you in, I'm sure it would be ok."

So I drove over to Reed's. I unpacked the Jeep and got something to eat for Alexis and me. Reed still wasn't home by the time her bedtime came, so I put Alexis to bed and told her that he would look in on her when he finally did get home.

Not having anything to do, I called Janie to see how things were going there. She told me that Reed called around 7. "He seemed very upset that you weren't here, I didn't even have time to tell him you went home before he slammed the phone down in my ear. Amber, what's going on?"

I told her that I was there and I haven't been able to get a hold of Reed. "I don't know where he is and he doesn't have his cell on him!"

"Well..." Janie paused. "Call Devon."

"No, I'm not calling him!"

"Amber, if anyone knows where Reed is, it's Devon. Call him!" She gave me Devon's cell number and once again told me to call him.

I sat there staring at Devon's number for the longest time. I didn't call him right away, I really didn't wish to talk to him. So I waited to see if Reed would come home.

11:30 I finally couldn't take it anymore. I grabbed the phone and dialed Devon's cell. When he answered I asked if he saw Reed today. "Amber?"

"Yes," I replied and asked him again.

"Yes, I've seen him."

"Well do you know where he is now?"

"Yes, I do."

"Where is he Devon?"

Devon hesitated, "I can't tell you Amber."

"What?" I was getting a little ticked off. "Why the hell can't you tell me? Where is Reed?"

"Hey, calm down!" He was kind of laughing when he said that. "I can't tell you where he is because he doesn't want you to know."

"Devon stop being an ass!"

"Well," Devon scoffed. "Even if I was going to tell you, I wouldn't now! Good night Amber!"

"Wait! Devon please?"

There was nothing but silence on his end, I was certain that he hung up. "I'll tell him you called," he finally said before I heard a click and then the dial tone.

I'm certain I don't even have to tell you what I thought. I went to bed just after that and I cried myself to sleep.

I woke up in the middle of the night and was shocked to see Reed sleeping next to me. I wondered when he got home but I couldn't wake him enough to tell me anything besides, "I love you BerryLynn."

This morning we slept in, we woke up to Albert knocking on his door telling him his father was on the phone. "Shit!" He cursed when he came back into his room after talking to his father, he started for the bathroom to get ready for work but he stopped short and made his way over to me instead. He crawled back into bed but when he reached for me, I moved away. "I don't have time to explain right now," he told me. "But I swear it's not what you are thinking!" He got out of bed again, telling me that he'll be home at 6 tonight, "Even if I have to quit to be here!"

He made me promise to still be here before he left for work. I told him I would be. As much as I fear the worst, I have a feeling that it's not what I think.

Am I crazy to think that?

I guess I'll find out in under two hours.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is doing something with the house I bet!
L

Anonymous said...

i totally agree with L!

Anonymous said...

yeah you gotta post a second one...hello I never ask but come on I am so totally addicted to this one!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with ya both! Making it a home for Alexis! Amber sure is mean with these cliffhangers tho :)

Stacey

Anonymous said...

argghhhhh! the frustation of these cliffhangers lol! well i think that Reed wasnt doing anything bad...or least i hope not and i wonder whats going to happen with Chris and Janie?...didnt she hear that he called amber a whore and bruised her...i guess she doesnt care about that! lol only that hes hot!

Anonymous said...

I agree too i think Reed is working on the house for them. And I think Chris and Janie will end up together. Janie doesn't care about a guy being a jerk remember she is (was) still with Devon. And he is a total ASS!! Great post by the way.

Chris

Anonymous said...

hmm, maybe Reed went to go see her at her apt, and she was at his house. They switched places instead of meeting up. Just a thought. :)