Friday, May 18, 2007

Moving On

Yesterday was boring. Alexis was grumpy, all she wanted to do was be up with me. She wouldn't let me put her down for any more than five minutes, it was very annoying when I had to go to the bathroom. She didn't want Janie to hold her, she would bat at Janie's face anytime she picked her up. So I got very little done. Although, luckily there was very little left to do.

After Alexis' nap, Janie and I took her for a walk around town. I was telling Janie about Devon helping me get a job and she grew very quiet. "What's wrong?" I asked her.

"He never told me about that, the kids at the center." She stopped me, "Why wouldn't he tell me about that?"

I shrugged, "I don't know. Maybe he didn't want anyone to see that side of him."

"Or maybe he's a jerk!"

"Janie! Come on, he's not a jerk for not telling you about the kids. Maybe he didn't think you'd want to know, you never really showed any interest in kids before."

She shook her head, "No I don't think he really wanted me for anything more than sex!" She laughed, "God I've been so stupid Amber! The guy is engaged and I've been fooling around with him thinking that one day he'll realize that he cares for me and leave her. But he won't!"

"I don't know Janie, he did seem..."

"No!" Janie covered her ears, "I don't want to hear it! I'm done with Devon." She dropped her hands, "And you be careful! He can charm anyone when he puts his mind to it!"

I laughed, "Janie he's not going to try anything with me."

"I wouldn't be so sure about that Amber."

"Janie, I'm not interested in Devon. I love Reed, you remember him? The father of my beautiful little girl? The man that I've been in love with for the last two years?"

"I'm telling you Amber, Devon can be very charming when he wants to be. Be careful around him, he may be Reed's best friend but that won't stop him if he wants you."

I told Janie she was being silly and she told me that she knew what she was talking about. "Fine! I'll be careful around him. But I won't need too! It's not like he has any desire to be with me, so there's nothing to worry about!"

I believed that. I believed that Devon wasn't interested in me like that, I believed that he wouldn't do anything to ruin his friendship with Reed, or at least I liked to think he wouldn't cross that line.

But Janie gave me this look that made me wonder if there was some thing she wasn't telling me. I didn't bother to ask though, I wasn't interested in what Devon thought of me, I just wanted to finally be done with this move, start my job and begin my life. A life that included Reed.

This morning, I went to pick up the U-haul and when I got home, I ran into Chris in the parking lot. He was walking from the building to his truck, he stopped short when he saw me. I didn't want to talk to him, I tried to walk past him without saying anything. But when I got to the point where I would pass him, he put out his arm and stopped me.

"I know you don't want to talk to me," he told me as his arm fell to his side. "I just wanted you to know I'm sorry for what I said, I don't think you are a whore at all. I was upset, I had hoped that we could explore what was between us a little more." When I looked at him, he looked down at his keys in his hands. "I know I ruined any chance that you would want to be even a friend to me." He glanced at me, "Good luck with your new life Amber."

I wasn't expecting this from him, I really expected him to tell me what a mistake I was making. "Thank you," I smiled at him.

He smiled, a really big smile. And then he walked away.

It felt nice to have had that moment with him.

Now I have to carry everything down three flights of stairs and load it into the trailer.

Anyone want to help me move?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, this post really confused me! Why all of a sudden does Amber trust Devon? Just because he helped her? That just makes me even more suspicious! Also, I don't think she's being a very good friend telling Janie that Devon's someone completely different when he's still the jerk who has been cheating on his fiance for months! Also, dont' forget what he said on the phone before that he's the right guy for Amber or something like that. Like I said I'm confused! I love Amber, but I think she's very naive.

J

Anonymous said...

i thought she said he wasn't a jerk because he didn't tell janie about the kids??? he did a nice thing for her, she wasn't explecting, maybe she feels she needs to stand up for him for that??? it's a side no one really has seen by the sound of it. aren't kids normally good jugdes of characters??? they seem to love devon. maybe he isn't so bad???

Anonymous said...

I agree with J - two posts ago Amber couldn't stand Devon, now she's taking his side and sticking up for him. I think Janie knows Devon a little better than Amber and I see a big storyline unfolding here. This might be really good!

Anonymous said...

Well, I am still curious as to why Janie chose not to stay. I also think Amber should be careful with Devon. I still think Devon is being forced to marry the "witch" and maybe he's just being a jerk because he's not happy with his life. Look at me being all optimistic?

Have a good weekend!
Stacey

Anonymous said...

well i dont think thats the case...but i sure hope stacey is right! i hope that deep inside he is a good guy but he has to marry that "witch" and that is why he is acting that way! who knows? and also, like stacey said, what happened with Janie? y doesnt she want to stay their anymore?!?!