Sunday, May 6, 2007

Muddling Through

Having Janie here is exciting. I didn't realize before just how much I missed not being around her. Last night, even though we were tired from all the cleaning and packing, we sat up until 3 just talking. About old times, friends, hopes, dreams, and relationships. One of the topics she kept coming back to was Devon.

"I know you don't want to hear it," she told me for the millionth time as she turned the conversation back to him. "But I just can't forget about him Amber!"

"Isn't he engaged?"

Janie rolled her eyes, "He doesn't love her Amber!"

I didn't say anything, I just rolled my eyes at her. "Janie I was there when you guys were dating. You broke up with him, remember? You told me he was an ass and you were sorry you ever got involved with him."

"I know," she groaned. "But you don't understand."

"No, I don't. Devon is engaged to another woman, he is going to marry her. What are you going to do, be his mistress?"

"It's not it would be the first time someone did that Amber."

"But Janie what about all the dreams you had about meeting Mr. Right, getting married and having boat loads of babies?"

Janie shrugged, "Things change Amber."

I stared at her. "I don't think they change all that much Janie."

"What do you know?" Janie glared at me, "You already have Mr. Right. He's just waiting for you to tell him that you are ready to be his." She sat back against the couch and crossed her arms over her chest. "It must be nice to know you'll end up happy."

"You think it's that easy?" I asked her. "Do you have any idea how much I wish it was that simple? Sure Reed loves me and wants to be with me but Janie, I have so many doubts and fears that are getting in the way. Hell we can't even have a conversation without fighting. I don't want Alexis to grow up in that environment."

"Are you even listening to yourself?" Janie picked up a cushion and smacked me with it. "He loves you Stupid! He wants to be with you and make you happy. That's all he's wanted since the night you two met."

"You don't know that."

"Yes I do!" She hit me again. "And so do you! So put the boy out of his misery and tell him you are coming home to him."

She makes it sound so easy and maybe she is right. But how can I enter a relationship with him again, if I'm so unsure of myself. How do I know if it's really love I feel for him? What if I make a mistake? What if I just think I love him because he was so sweet and kind to me before Alexis came along? I didn't know him that well, we were only dating a couple months. Is that enough time to really be in love?

Part of me say no.

The other part of me, beats up the 'no' part and wants to shout out my love for him from the highest mountain top.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

ooohhh amber! i think Janie is right..and if you dont give it a try how are u ever going to know..ull be filled with regret and sorrow once you are ready for a relationship with him and he has been tired of waiting for you and moved on! He wants you, He needs you and u are the same way!....what happened to chris? is he ever coming back???

Beth said...

Actually, I think Amber is doing the right thing. She's going to stop living off of Reed and giving their families a chance to get to know Alexis better. She's trying to get some of herself back, and has a chance to make things better with her father.
If she's unsure about the future, it's only normal. Although I do think she should be looking into taking some classes at a local college to get a degree for the future when Alexis doesn't need her as much and she can be working while Alexis is in school...
Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

I think she's doing the right thing too, gain a little independence! Also, she's right when she says she doesn't really know Reed!
J

Anonymous said...

Ambers getting annoying. Shes so back and forth. Make a decision!! Shes so afraid of making a mistake that shes never going to experience anything and her life will just pass her by like its doing right now.

Sorry! Tiny rant.
love both blogs

Anonymous said...

hey!! Where's Chris and whats going to happen with him? I think we need something there. Otherwise the posts are great. Reed is annoying me. HOnestly its like he doesn't know her at all, he thinks he can pay her way through everything and she' just supposed to be happy? I swear its like he doesn't get her.

BUT great posts!!! :)

Anonymous said...

ya she is getting a little annoying... just go be with him already, he has done almost everything he can to make you happy and yet still you cant chose him... what will going to your parents house help? You will make it work... love is tough and it takes work... but you have to do it together and you can still find yourself and make your life something while you are with him...

I just think you need to go be with Reed already... have you told chris anything yet??

Anonymous said...

OK - Amber's admitted she's in love with Reed and she wants to be with him......so WHAT'S THE PROBLEM? Go be with him. What girl wouldn't want to be with, and be taken care of by a guy who worships the ground she walks on?!?!?! Come on Amber, get over it! Move in to your brand new house, get situated, get in to a routine and then think about what you want to do with the rest of your life....go to work, go to school, volunteer somewhere or do nothing at all. You have all of those options - quit being so stubborn and worrying about what other people think before this opportunity is gone! Reed is NOT going to sit around waiting for you the rest of his life! You've got it made girl - go for it!