Saturday, May 19, 2007

Unexpected Happenings

Yesterday I discovered something, it's not any thing that I didn't know before but rather some thing that I remembered while I was in the middle of it. I hate moving!

When I moved from my cousins place to this apartment, it wasn't so bad. I didn't have much so it didn't really take that much time at all. But this time? I don't know where I got all the stuff from! I swear there were things that I didn't even know I had.

But it wasn't the moving itself I guess that made yesterday so frustrating, it was the process of moving and all the little things that seemed to go wrong.

Like, I got lost going to the rental place - twice. When I finally made it there, the rental place ended up not having the trailer that Reed had rented for me. They tried to say that there wasn't a reservation made but I had the confirmation papers; Reed made me take them, I wasn't going to.

I had to wait until they brought a trailer in from another branch, I wasn't going running all over God's green earth just to get a trailer that was supposed to be at that shop, do you blame me? When I went to hook up to the trailer, I almost backed right into it.

I got the trailer home, went to back it up to the apartment building by the outside fire escape where we were told to to move stuff in and out of because they didn't want any damage to the inside walls and stairwells and there was a truck parked there. I didn't know who the truck belonged to, so I couldn't really do anything about it and I couldn't block off the entrance to the parking lot. I was so upset when I went back to the apartment. I had no choice but to carry all my stuff further.

Since I couldn't watch Alexis and bring stuff down to the trailer too, I stick her in her play pen and she just bawled! She didn't like that one bit. But what was I supposed to do?

Janie and I carried down two loads of boxes and were on our way back up the stairs when we ran into Chris, again. He was with guy. I don't think he was going to say anything to me at first, which would've been fine with me but on his way down he stopped and turned back. "What did you do? Lock her in her room?" He smiled as he nodded towards the apartment where Alexis was still screaming.

Until the second he said that, I was holding on to my emotions. I really wanted to be in there with Alexis, crying because of all the things that had gone wrong that morning but I knew I had so much to do. I closed my eyes, took a deep breath and when I opened my eyes again Chris had come back up the stairs to me.

"What's wrong Amber?"

I was going to tell him that nothing was wrong but I found myself telling him everything about my morning. "...and there's a red truck parked by the building so I have to walk twice as far with my stuff. It just isn't my day," I told him.

"Uh huh," he nodded as he stepped to the railings, looking over he chuckled and glanced at his friend. "Steve, go move your truck." He turned back to me, smiling. "That's all taken care of, why don't you give me your keys and I'll move you over."

I hesitated, I wasn't sure that would be such a good idea. Would he think I want something to do with him if I let him move my Jeep? I mentally slapped myself when I thought that, of all the stupid things you think, this has to be the worst. He's only trying to help.

I ended up giving him my keys and I went into my apartment to grab another load. "Chris is moving the trailer over," I told Janie as I passed her.

"What?" She almost dropped the box she was carrying. "When did you change your mind about him?"

"He's only moving the Jeep. What's wrong with that?"

Janie gave me this look but didn't tell me what she was thinking because Chris and Steve came into my apartment. "You're all moved," he told me as he gave me my keys.

I told him thanks and followed Janie out of the apartment with some boxes. When we were on our way back up, Chris called out for me to stay where I was. "Why?" I yelled out.

"Because," he said as he slowly walked down the stairs backwards. "I don't want to squish you."

"Hey!" I gasped, "that's my couch! What are you guys doing?" I asked as Chris walked pass me with a grin on his face.

"He's trying to kill me," Steve grumbled as he came down he steps.

I tried to tell them that they didn't need to help but Chris insisted that they move the heavier stuff for me. "I wouldn't want you to hurt yourself and not be able to play with Alexis later."

"I told you it was a bad idea to let him move the Jeep," Janie whispered as the guys carried more furniture out of the apartment.

"Well," I picked up some boxes. "Do you want to lift the heavy stuff?" She told me that she didn't and then commented that it was nice to have the guys here after all.

They didn't just help with the heavy stiff, they stayed until every last thing was loaded into the Jeep or the trailer. I finished strapping Alexis in her car seat and thanked them for the help. "I just have to go turn in the keys," I told Janie.

"Mind if I walk with you?" Chris asked. I told him I didn't mind, I really didn't. I thought that if I told him I did, it would seem rude after he voluntarily helped me load everything up.

He was silent the entire time it took to walk over to the office and all the time I was talking to the landlord's agent. When we left the office, he didn't say anything either. I didn't know why he wanted to walk with me if he wasn't going to say anything but I didn't really worry too much about it.

Chris opened my door for me when we got back to the the Jeep and once I climbed in, he quietly closed it and turned to walk away.

"Thank you for your help Chris," I felt like I had to say something to him.

He turned and nodded, "Good luck with your future Amber."

I started up the Jeep as he joined Steve, who was standing next to Chris' truck, having a smoke.

"Ready to go home?" I asked Janie and Alexis.

"YES!" Janie screamed as she popped in a CD and cranked it.

When we got to my parents house, my mother was there to greet us, along with my father. "Hey!" I smiled at them. I was really wondering what was going on but I wasn't sure I wanted to know.

"I'm sorry Amber," my father stepped towards me. "I don't think it's a good idea for you to move into the house."

My jaw dropped, I couldn't even think of what to say to that besides, "You have got to be freakin kidding me!"

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

what??WHY???!!!!

Mehreen said...

I bet there's a good explanation (like he wants her to move in with Reed!) I want to like her dad!

Nic said...

What now?! Her father is even worse than the weather, how can someone change so often? And what on earth would be his explanation this time?

Love the blog. Have been off for a few days (of course very busy instead of relaxing) so it was nice to relax with your blogs.

Anonymous said...

WHAT!!!!


i think reeds dad is pressuring ambers dad to make her move in with him. thats horrible news after moving!!

i hate moving too its the worst thing, EVER.

B

Anonymous said...

There better be a good reason for that!

And aw for Chris being nice. :)

Anonymous said...

WHAT! Things couldn't get much more stressful than that after a day of moving! I can't wait for the explanation!

J

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I hate moving too! I am trying to move out of my college dorm right now. What makes it worse is knowing I have to move back in again in 3 months! :(

Anonymous said...

i think that ambers dad has good intentions and not just being a prick...or at least i hope! lol ... he probably just wants her to move in with reed ...just as some of you have mentioned already

Anonymous said...

there better be an explanation or her father will have lost all redeaming qualities!!!!


keisha

Anonymous said...

he's probably trying to push her on Reed.

Great entries!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry but I like Chris! I hope we haven't seen the last of him!

On another note.....if Amber's dad is trying to force her to move in with Reed, I feel bad for her. Forcing her to do something she doesn't want to do or isn't ready to do, is not gonna end good. Actually it could end really, really badly.

Amber said...

Good Morning Everyone!

Just letting you know there WILL be a post today on both blogs...but it won't be until later this afternoon.

See you all then!

Anonymous said...

I hate moving too! I have to be out of my apartment by the end of June. I wish I could just leave everything and start over, but...

I bet they have some kind of guest house or something on their property that they are going to suggest she move into. Either that or they are going to say they found the perfect apartment for her. Something shocking, but still good for her. I think he dad is coming around and he wants to rebuild their relationship, so I don't think it'll be anything bad.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it!! Just when I thought good old dad was coming around....He wants to see her with Reed or he is getting a push from the top (of the company).