Sunday, May 13, 2007

Heading Out

Happy Mother's Day!

Oh boy, I honestly forgot that today was Mother's Day. Well, until I was woken up this morning that is. But first I'm gonna ramble about yesterday.

Once again, I went out job hunting while Reed went to put the finishing touches on the house, "We can start moving in tomorrow if you like."

I didn't say anything, I still was set on moving into my parents house and my mother was excited about it. Although, she did try to talk me into moving in with Reed for, oh, two seconds! "I can't wait until you come home!" She cried finally, "I've missed you so much! And I'll be able to spend time with the baby!" Apparently my mother took her happy pills that day.

So Alexis and I were strolling down the street, looking for 'help wanted' signs in all the windows. I had just spotted a 'wanted' ad on the reader board of the A&W restaurant and was debating if I wanted to go in and apply when I heard Devon's voice in my head. His voice was taunting me, telling me that I was a loser if I wasted my time looking for work I didn't really want to do.

"Just leave me alone!" I said out loud and then realized that I did it. Well that looked totally sane, I thought as I glanced around to see if anyone heard me. Thankfully no one was looking.

Why don't you call him? The worst that can happen is that he's full of crap and he doesn't help at all. I glanced down at Alexis who was trying to look back at me, she was rocking back and forth in the stroller like she was wondering why we stopped.

"Ok," I said as I started on my way again. I'll call him when I get home and tell him if he's lying I'll kick him.

When I got home, Reed was already there. "Hey darling," he smiled at me as he moved towards us. "Hi princess." Alexis was excited to see him, she hadn't spent that much time with him since we came back.

I saw a chance to get a free minute to call Devon. "Reed, I bet Alexis would love it if you spent some time playing with her, wouldn't you snuggle bug?"

Reed gave me a funny look but he didn't ask why I was trying to get rid of him. He told me he was thinking the same thing and was thinking about taking her to the park down the street to play. I told him that was fine and they got ready to go. "Did you want to come?" He asked, although he didn't sound like he really wanted me to go.

I shook my head, "I think it would be good if you two spent time together without me."

About ten minutes later, I was seated in Reed's office listening to the silence around me as I stared at the phone. All you have to do is pick up the phone and dial his number, I told myself.

Taking a deep breath, I did just that. But when the third ring went in, I wondered what the hell I was doing and went to hang up but someone answered, "Hello?" It was the same voice that answered Reed's cell phone the night I called him. Annette! I felt like giving her a piece of my mind for being such a bitch. "Hello? Is anyone there?"

I swallowed my anger for her and asked for Devon. "Who is this? Why do you want to talk to my fiance?"

I was about to tell her who I was when I heard Devon in the background, "Is that for me? Give it here." I heard him say, "Hello?" as Annette asked him who I was. "Hold on," Devon said before I could say anything. I listened as she asked him who it was again and almost laughed as she started to scream at him. He must have covered the phone because I couldn't quite make out what she was screaming.

Finally his voice came back over the line and the room he was in was silent. "Janie?" He asked, sounding so hopeful I almost felt sorry that I wasn't her.

"No, it's Amber."

"Oh," he was disappointed but he tried to cover it up. "I don't know where Reed is, he said he was going home."

"I know, he's out with Alexis at the moment."

"Oh, then...Amber why are you calling me?"

I sighed, great! He totally forgets what he said. "Well I thought I would see what you meant when you said you might be able to help me, job-wise."

He was silent for a moment, "Amber now really isn't a good time for me to talk. Can I call you back? Or..." his vice trailed off.

"Or what Devon?" He sounded so distracted, which wasn't like him. "Is everything ok?" I found myself asking.

"Yeah...ummm..." he sighed. "I'll call you on Monday, we'll talk more then, ok?"

I told him it was fine. Then he asked me something I didn't think he would, "Amber?" He lowered his voice, he was almost whispering into the phone. "Is Janie ok?"

"Yes," I told him.

"Can you tell me where she is?"

"You know where she is Devon."

He sighed, "I know she's at your apartment but I don't know where that is! Amber please tell me where she is, I need to see her. She's not answering when I call there; why isn't she answering the phone?"

I shrugged, not that he could see it. "Maybe she's done with you Devon."

"No," he said. "She can't be."

I shook my head, "Devon get over yourself already. Janie is over you, I know this because she's already putting the moves on another guy."

Devon didn't say anything for a while, I wasn't sure if he was still there. When I was about to ask if he was he spoke again. "I'll call you Monday." Click.

I hung up the phone and felt kind of sad. I felt that he was sad. Oh come on! I scoffed, like Devon really cares about Janie. He's probably just mad she's the one who ended it. Yeah, that's it. She ended it and he's not accepting it because he's a big dumb jerk like that.

I called Janie afterwards though, she answered on the second ring. "How many times has Devon called?" I asked her.

"Well 'hello' to you too!" Janie laughed and then said, "I think he's called about twenty times or more. Why? What's up?"

I told her about my conversation with Devon, minus the work stuff and she just scoffed. "Does he actually think I'm going to believe that he misses me?" She laughed, "If he misses anything it's the sex. Well too bad!" Although she tried to sound convincing I had a feeling she was still trying to convince herself that it was best to end it with him.

"Chris was over here again last night," she told me.

"Oh?"

"He asked me to tell you that he is really sorry about what he said, he asked me to ask you to call him. I tried to tell him that you didn't want to talk to him but he didn't want to listen." Janie sighed, "Maybe give him a call? He might stop bugging me then."

"So you gave up on getting with him?" I asked her, happy that she seemed to have forgotten about that.

"YES!" She laughed, "Like I want another guy who is hooked up on someone else. Especially when that person is my best friend."

We started talking about my job hunt and she asked me when I would be down to get my stuff. "Oh hold on, door." She said and put the phone down. I heard her talking to someone and then I heard her tell the person to stop.

"NO!" I heard her call out, "She doesn't want to talk to you!"

I didn't have time to react before I heard Chris' voice on the other end. "Amberpleasedon'thangup!"

"Did you just push your way into my apartment?" I asked him.

"Well...yeah, but I didn't touch Janie! Just ask her!" I heard Janie in the background saying she was ok, he didn't touch her.

"I don't want to talk to you Chris."

"Call me later then?" He damn near begged. "I'm really sorry about what I said Amber, I feel like such a jerk."

"You should," I told him. "I have to go. Stop harassing Janie, Chris. I don't want to talk to you so just forget about it!" I hung up on his protests. The moment I did, I hoped that Janie would be ok.

Not even five minutes later Janie called me back, "Oh my God!"

"What?" I was panicking. "Are you ok?"

"Yes!" Janie giggled, "You should've seen him! He looked so heartbroken when he hung up the phone. He turned to me and held out the phone, 'She hung up," he said in disbelief. I didn't even have to tell him to leave, he gave me the phone and walked out. He mumbled something that sounded like he was sorry as he left."

I told Janie I was happy that he left.

She told me she thought I should call him.

I told her she was crazy.

Reed came back home at that moment and I told Janie I'd talk to her later.

Later yesterday, Reed had Alexis in his office and they were playing by the sounds that came from the room. When I called him for dinner, he came out with Alexis and they both looked so happy. "What's going on?" I asked.

He shrugged, "Nothing. What's going on with you?"

"Nothing," I told him. "But I"m not the one with ink on my arm," I looked up at him.

He laughed, "Alexis got excited with the pen." He didn't add anything else.

And that was pretty much yesterday.

This morning, I woke up to Reed looking down at me. I stretched and raised a brow at him, "Good morning?"

"Good morning darling," he brushed his lips against mine. "Have I told you lately how much I love you?"

I shook my head, "Nope I haven't heard it at all." I joked, "Do you love me?"

He chuckled, "Yes. I do. Very, very much. In fact," he lowered his head, his lips were against my ear. "I would give anything to show you just how much, right here, right now. But..." he reached over to the nightstand and picked up the carnation that laid there. "This morning there is a little girl waiting to tell her mommy how special she is."

I frowned, "Why would Alexis be waiting to do that?" I had no clue.

Reed smiled, "Because it's her first Mother's Day with you?"

My eyes opened wide and I stared up at him, "OH MY GOD! I FORGOT!"

He chuckled at me, "Good thing we didn't. Happy Mother's Day my darling BerryLynn."

And now I have to get ready and go see both of our mothers.

We are having brunch with them.

Someone please shot me now.

The only good thing is, Reed's grandmother is going to be there!

I love that woman!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a nice mother's day post!

I wish I didn't live so far away from my mom. Having a brunch with four generations of mother-daughter pairs would be so wonderful!

--Hadley

Anonymous said...

happy mother's day to all! hope everyone has a fanatastic day!...i have a feeling Chris is going to do something really stupid and very soon...watch out amber! and devon...if you like Janie so much y dont u break up with whatshername...Antette or whatever! and reed what do you have planned for amber;) huh? lol

Anonymous said...

I agree, even though I don't like Devon, I did feel kinda sorry for him. His fiance sounds horrible and he seems to miss Janie so bad. Why doesn't he break up with his fiance and try to work things out with Janie!?

Anonymous said...

Ok - I really don't like Devon at all from what I've seen of him. However, I bet he has rich parents too and he is obligated to marry this witch Annette to secure some business deal or something.

Even tho, I thought Chris was probably the good guy in the beginning I'm starting to think classic abuser now. Acting all sad, like he has been so wronged. And if when he left bruises on Amber's arms it was purely accidental, why was he so sure to make sure she knew he didn't touch Janie?

Stacey