Monday, June 25, 2007

This Crazy Need To Butt In

It took all day yesterday to recover from the night before. I still can't believe that Devon is really marrying someone as bitchy as Annette. I know he feels he has to to protect his mom but I can't see how it will end up as a good thing. What happens if his mom finds out? Or if he finds out that she already knew what a dog she married? Don't women have some sort of an idea? I know I can sense when things are really right....most times.

Reed and I were sitting together watching TV yesterday when I asked him if there was a chance that Devon wouldn't go through with the wedding and his response shocked me. "Why do you care Amber?" He seemed really irritated.

"I just don't think that it's right that he is doing this, you know that."

"Well he is and there's nothing that will stop him from going through with it."

"But Reed he can't be happy with this, she's such a bitch to him and -"

"There was a time when you could've cared less about what happened to Devon, what's going on Amber?" Reed got off the couch but he didn't walk away, he stood there before me. "Is there something going I should know about?"

"What?" I shook my head and stood up, my eyes not leaving his for a second. "There's nothing going on Reed. I know I haven't always been friendly towards him but it's not like he's been that friendly to me. But now, since I've come back, he's been nicer and I see why you guys are friends."

Reed didn't say anything, I sighed. "Reed," I lifted my hands to his waist. "Honey what's going on? Why aren't you happy that Devon and I are getting along? You used to ask me to try to be nice to him."

"I know!" He groaned. "It's just that you two seem to have this little thing going that doesn't include me. Devon sees you at work, you both talk about each other a lot and it's like...well...I..." he shrugged, giving me a sad smile.

I frowned, "Are you jealous Reed?" I asked slowly because I wasn't sure if I even thought that's what this was about. There's no way he could be jealous, I told myself, he knows how I feel about him.

He lowered his head, nodding. "I think I am."

"Honey!" I gasped as I moved into wrap my arms around him. "You can't be serious!"

"Amber," Reed looked into my eyes. "I can't even begin to describe how I feel when I see you with him or I hear his name pass through your lips. I know you love me, I know that you don't think of him in that way but I can't help wondering if one day I'm going to be standing on the sidelines watching you walk off hand in hand with him."

"Reed!" I rolled my eyes and cringed at the thought of being anything with Devon. "No! I may have changed my opinion about him, I don't think he's the biggest jackass in the world but I'm no where close to..." my voice trailed off, I couldn't even say what he said. "There's no way I could ever see him like that and besides Janie would kill me!"

That got a smile from Reed. "Does she still deny that she cares about him?"

I nodded, "She told me that she didn't want to ever hear his name again but yet she keeps bringing him up whenever we are talking." I paused, "Devon keeps asking me about her too."

"Yeah, he asks me too."

"What are we going to do Reed?"

"Nothing," he told me. "We can't do anything Amber. They need to do what is best for them."

"No!" I cried. "You can't be serious! How can you say that? How can you let Devon marry Annette when you know that he could be as happy as you are right now, if he was with Janie? Don't you want your best friend to be happy?"

Reed pulled away from me, "Don't you think I haven't tried Amber? I've done everything I could to stop him from agreeing to this! I told him he was making a mistake but he's not listening to me, he told me I don't understand."

I moved closer to him and he took me in his arms again. "I want Devon to know the happiness that I feel whenever I hold you close but Amber I've run out of ideas and he has asked me to let him do this. He seems to think that he doesn't deserve to be happy."

"What? Why?"

"He says it's karma coming back to kick him in the ass. He seems to believe that Annette is his just reward for screwing over all the women he's ever dated."

"That's just screwed up!" I told Reed and he agreed with me.

I don't know I want to do something. I don't feel right just standing by and letting this tragedy happen.

But I promised Reed that I wouldn't butt in.

Am I crazy for wanting my best friend and Reed's best friend to be happy?

Am I crazy for thinking that they would be happy together?

How do I make this happen without butting in?

I have less than a month to figure this out.

The wedding is July 14.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

As much as I hate to say this, I think she should leave it alone. I hope Devon stops short of making the biggest mistake ever, but all Amber can do is be his friend. Of course, a little dropped hint that his fiance's a biatch wouldn't be out of order! :-)

Anonymous said...

i think she does need to butt in b/c if she does then maybe devon and janie can have happiness in their lives..but if she doesnt then the only outcome would be that everyone is unhappy...and chances are that his mother already knows about her cheating husband's way...like amber said...we, women usually have a gut feeling about this stuff...besides what would be the worst that would happen if she did butt in ????

EJ said...

ooohhhh drama!!

Anonymous said...

butt out, Amber. it would be just tooo unreal and silly to expect that your best friend will marry Reed's best friend.
and anyway, try to fix your own life instead of butting into other people's.

Anonymous said...

butt out, Amber. it would be just tooo unreal and silly to expect that your best friend will marry Reed's best friend.
and anyway, try to fix your own life instead of butting into other people's.

Anonymous said...

I would be torn as to what to do as well. You want your friends to be happy and he certainly isn't happy with Annette or is she with him, it would seem. Maybe a casual remark or anonymous letter to Devons mother "do you know the real reason your son is marrying Annette?" would spark something from his moms side. He doesn't deserve a screwed up marriage just because his parents marriage is.

Anonymous said...

Wow that is a tough decesion. I think you should come up with some way to "butt in" without it being totally obvious that it was you. And as for Devon and Janie.........that is up to them. If Devon drops Annette only time would tell if he ended up with Janie. Maybe she truely is happy with Cary. Good Luck. Great post.

Chris

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with Chris. Butt in but don't get caught! I personally would be tempted to figure out a way to get Reed's dad busted and then Reed would be scott free.

Stacey

The Middle Child said...

If I talked to my bf the way Annette talks to Devon you can bet I would be getting my walking papers! How someone can treat someone else that way is beyond me! I hope he leaves her standing at the alter.
Ha!

Sal said...

hmmmm drama drama drama. she already talked to Devon about it. So I think ultimatly it's going to have to be up to him wether he wants to pay for his Dad's mistakes or not.

Anonymous said...

I think that Amber should mind her own business. Devon is fully aware of what he's doing and even Reed said that he'd tried to stop him. One question that nobody's asked is, why the hell would Annette want to marry Devon when she knows he cheats??? If they dont' get along why does she want to be with him? Also, I think Amber is putting too much onto Janie when she says they should be together. Does she forget that a few months back she was convincing Janie to leave Devon because he was the cheating scum of the earth!? Janie's the one who felt that pain, and it's hard to forgive. Amber needs to learn a little empathy.