Friday, June 29, 2007

Waiting For Him

I couldn't help it, after what happened this morning, the look in Devon's eyes as he walked away thinking that Janie was better off without him and he was better off miserable with Annette, I had to see Reed.

When I arrived at his office, his secretary told me that he was in a meeting and he would be a while. I told her that I didn't mind, I needed to see him.

I was sitting in one of the chairs reading a magazine and I felt her staring at me. When I looked up she didn't bother to turn away. "You look familiar," she told me. "How do you know Mr Johnson?"

"Reed is my boyfriend," I told her with a smile. "We have a daughter together."

"Oh my!" She exclaimed as she jumped up. "I'm sorry, I didn't realize who you were Miss Sands," she came around the desk and motioned for me to follow her. "Mr Johnson is in a meeting in the conference room down the hall, I'll let him know you are here but in the mean time, " she opened Reed's office door for me. "You can wait in here for him."

"Oh," I was surprised by the difference in her attitude once she found out who I was. "I was ok sitting out there," I told her.

"Nonsense!" She shook her head and gave a nervous laugh, "Mr Johnson wouldn't mind having you wait in here."

Before I could say anything else, she turned and walked out of the room, closing the door behind her.

Ok, I thought as I looked around Reed's office. It was much like my father's only a little smaller. I made my way over to his desk and sat down in his chair. I knew it was silly but there was something about sitting there seeing the room the way Reed saw it everyday. I started to swing back and forth in his chair when I spotted the picture frame on his desk. I picked it up and was surprised to see that it was a picture of Alexis and me with Reed from my parents anniversary party. It was just as we walked in the doors, before they introduced us. I smiled as I touched his face on the picture, he looked so happy yet so sad at the same time.

When I went to put the picture back on his desk, I moved his mouse and his computer screen lit up. Like the day that I was in his office as home, I spotted an icon on his desktop that had my name on it. Glancing around the room quickly, I moved the mouse over the folder. Closing my eyes, I double clicked on it and opened the file.

The whole time I'm sitting there with my eyes closed, I'm thinking you shouldn't be doing this! But I couldn't stop myself. When I opened my eyes, I scanned the file and smiled. I was staring at pictures of houses and each picture had parts highlighted and a little caption that told whoever was looking at the pictures what I wanted in a house. I could only assume that this was the file that Janie mentioned when she told me about Reed's specific requirements and where Devon wanted him to stick the plans.

I closed out the file and sat back in Reed's chair. Now what? I asked as I twiddled my thumbs.

I ended up checking to see if Reed had any games on his computer and spent the next half hour playing solitaire until Reed came bursting through his office door. "Darling what wrong? Where's Alexis? What Happened?" He looked so worried as he made his way over to me. "Amber what's going on?"

I didn't answer him right away, I was too busy throwing myself at him and telling him how much I loved him in between kisses.

"I love you too Amber," he managed to say once he got me to slow down. "Now do you want to tell me what happened?"

So I did, I told him about the conversation with Janie and how Devon over heard. I told him what Devon had to say and how I felt when I watched him walk away all defeated. "I don't ever want you to doubt how I feel about you Reed," I buried my face against his neck. "I love you so much, I never want to be without you again."

Reed held me in his arms, whispering his own words of love.

It was probably one of the best moments ever.

When he comes home tonight, I'm going to tell him it's time we talked about Alexis and I moving into the home he created for us.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh i feel bad for devon.
i see some trouble coming at the party! =)
as for amber, i hope she taking this step bc she really feels like she's ready for it and not bc everyone is getting maried and she's not!

Thanks for the double post!

Anonymous said...

THAT WAS AWESOME, YOU ROCK!!!

GG

Anonymous said...

I think Devon created the file with everything in it about the house that Amber wanted. Wasn't he the one who knew exactly what kind of job she wanted instead of a waitressing job?

Karen

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!! move in amber and alexis!...cant wait to see reed's reaction! ...oo the party is tomorrow! yeah! lol...cant wait to see the confrontation with janie, devon, cary and annette...ooo drama!

Mehreen said...

I dunno about Janie + Cary after 1 month getting engaged. We don't really know the whole Janie/Devon story, but I have to feel bad for him losing someone who could be his future for the sake of his father's secret. What I don't get is why Annette is agreeing to marry Devon when she doesn't exactly seem thrilled about it either. I don't think Amber should do something drastic though, just because of her friend's situation. She should move in with Reed when she's ready, not just to make some grand gesture.

Vikki said...

I think Amber is ready to move back in with Reed. She didn't say she was going to marry him right now, quit her job and be super wife and mom. She's just tired of being away from her man. But, that's just what I think. Can't wait to see what Reed's reaction is.