Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Aftermath

Oh God I don't even know where to start. How do I explain the total mess that ended Devon's hopes and dreams in one swift motion?

Ok, maybe not all his hopes and dreams but he was pretty upset and still is, I don't think that he's spoken to either of his parents at all since Saturday and I'm worried about him. I'll tell you what happened and then tell you why I'm worried about him. I hope this makes sense, it's been a long couple days.

So Saturday afternoon I was sitting on Reed's bed listening to him tell me why we were home and not in the church watching his best friend get married.

"It's so messed up Amber," Reed said as he sat next to me. "I can't believe it."

I groaned, "Reed! Tell me so I can not believe it too!" I was getting impatient, he was babbling for a good five minutes without really saying anything, it felt like days had passed!

"Maybe I should get Devon to tell you," Reed jumped up but I grabbed his arm before he could go anywhere.

"Sit your butt down and tell me already!" I wanted to shake him so badly.

And the little shit laughed. "I'm sorry," he leaned in and kissed my cheek. "I'll tell you."

He started to tell me what happened and like I said before, I couldn't believe it.

According to Reed, when Devon's parents pulled him into the little room he tried to tell them that everything would be ok, he was doing what he wanted. The following is the best 'reenactment' that I can do without actually being there, some details were filled in by Devon later so that's how I know who did what and the round about time...

The door closed behind Devon, he turned towards his parents and asked what was going on. "Mom why did you stop the wedding?"

"I'm so sorry Devon," his mother said through her tears. "I thought this was the best thing for you but now I see it's not, you aren't happy and you'll never be happy if you go through with this."

"Mom please don't cry," Devon said as he hugged her. "It's ok, I'll be happy."

Shirley shook her head, "No you won't," she sniffled. "How could you be happy when you don't even care for Annette?"

"No everyone marries for love mom," Devon replied. "Some marry for..." his voice trailed off as he realized what he was about to say. "There is more to life than love."

"No Devon!" His mother pushed him away, "Love is one of the most important things, without it life is unhappy and miserable. Do you want to be miserable?"

Devon shrugged, "I have to get back mom."

"No," his mother grabbed his arm. "I will not let you marry that girl! You don't love her and she's not right for you, we shouldn't have done this to you!"

"Mom it'll be...shouldn't have done what?"

His mother looked at his father who had been sitting down the entire time. "We lied to you Devon, your father and I. We thought that we knew what was best for you but I couldn't let you do it without knowing the truth."

"What truth?"

Shirley looked away from him. "We paid Annette to marry you."

"What?" He asked, confused. "You didn't pay Annette to marry me, dad..." he trailed off and stared at his father who shook his head. "It was all a lie? You didn't...?" He shook his head, "No, no way."

That's when he opened the door and told Annette to come into the room. The door was barely closed when he grabbed Annette's hand and turned her to face him. "Is what they say true? Did they pay you?"

Annette trembled under his grasp. "Devon I -"

"They did?" Annette nodded. "Why?" He turned to his parents, "WHY?"

Shirley came forward. "You are throwing your life away Devon! When you should be settling down and starting a family, you are still out partying. We thought it was high time you stopped playing around and got serious."

"So you bought me a 'family'? The whole affair story was bullshit?" He turned to his father.

"What affair story?" Shirley asked, looking back and forth between the two of them.

Devon laughed, turned his mom and told her the whole story his father told him. "Are you even pregnant?" He snarled at Annette.

"Yes," she told him. She went on to tell his her real story. Wayne's business partner wasn't her father, they just used his daughter's name and background because Devon knew about his daughter. "They thought it would be more believable," she told him.

Annette's real name was Kelly, she had gone into his father's company one day, looking to apply for office go-fer that they were hiring for, she told that she had a chance even without that much experience but she didn't get the job. "I just happened to run into your parents and I guess they liked me," she gave him a weak smile. She went on to tell him that Shirley had called her up and asked her to meet them for dinner. "They promised to help me out, to give me a good home to raise my baby all I had to do was marry you." She chuckled sadly, "It sounded so easy and way too good to be true. But I couldn't have my baby in the street Devon! I didn't have any money or anywhere to go, so I told them I would do it."

And that's when Devon left the room.

I was completely speechless when Reed finished telling me, I couldn't believe that his parents did that to him but now that I think about it, it's not really all that uncommon in the circles that our parents travel in; I think that if I didn't have Reed, my parents would be looking to set me up with someone important. Then again, that's what they did when they made me go to Reed's 24th birthday party; luckily for me, Reed is a wonderful man and I love him!

We sat in his room, I kept asking questions, trying to make sense of it all but Reed didn't have the answers. "So what happens to Ann - oops I mean Kelly and the baby now?"

"I don't know Amber, Devon didn't really think to ask that at the time."

"I guess," I sighed. "Well we should probably get down stairs."

When we went down into the living room, Devon was still sitting with Alexis; I don't know what he was doing but she was laughing at him. While we were upstairs Reed asked me not to say anything to Devon. "He knows that I'm telling you but I don't think he wants to talk about it anymore just yet." I told him I wouldn't say anything.

And I didn't...sorta.

I made my way over to Devon, knelt down next to him and wrapped my arms around his shoulders, hugging him tight. "I'm sorry," was all I said.

Devon glanced at Reed, who was looking kind of upset, and then at me. "It's ok Amber, it's not your fault my parents think I'm a loser."

"Devon!" I moved back from his, smacking him in the back of the head as I went. "Don't say that! They don't think that you are a loser, they just want you to be happy."

"And paying someone to marry me is supposed to make me happy?" He shook his head. "Not in this lifetime Amber."

I smiled. "Well if they paid the right one!"

He grunted and then laughed, looking me straight in the eyes. "But then Reed would kill me for marrying his woman."

I didn't even bother to reply to that, I just rolled my eyes.

"But you wouldn't marry me for money," he continued, a smirk played on his lips. "The sex on the other hand!"

"Devon!" I slapped him hard. "Stop it now! You know I wasn't talking about me!" I glared at him. "Why do you have to be such a jerk sometimes?" I jumped up, intent on walking away but Reed grabbed me and pulled me into his arms. "Your friend is a jerk," I told him.

"Yeah," Reed agreed. "I was thinking the same thing and if I thought he was serious, I'd have to take him outside and drown him in the lake!"

I wasn't in the mood to stick around and talk to the two of them, so I wandered off into the kitchen to see if there was anything quick and easy in the cup broads for supper. I was in the middle of filling a pot with water to boil some noddles when Devon came out into the kitchen.

"Go away," I snapped at him. "I don't really want to talk to you at the moment."

"Good I don't want you to talk." I glared at him and he sighed. "Amber it's been a shitty day for me, I feel like I've been kicked around and that nothing if real. I need to laugh and picking on you is making me laugh right now. Reed knows I didn't mean anything, he knows I don't want you like that and I hope that you know that too. You are an amazing woman and my best friend is crazy about you, I would never do anything to jeopardize your relationship or my friendship with Reed. Please don't be mad at me."

"I was talking about Janie," I told him.

"I know," he leaned against the counter. "I was thinking about her too."

"They wouldn't have to pay her," I told him, he nodded. "Devon what are you going to do?"

He shrugged, "I don't know Amber."

"Are you going to try to talk to Janie? See if she'll give you another chance?" Devon shook his head. "Why not Devon?"

"She's engaged Amber, she seems really happy with Cary and I'm not going to get in the way."

I wanted to tell him he wouldn't be getting in the way but I didn't, I knew that there was no point in pushing him, he wouldn't do what I wanted him to do anyway. "But if she came to you?"

He smiled, "Then that's a different story."

Since Saturday Devon has been at Reed's house every minute of the day. He doesn't go to work, he does whatever he can from the house and doesn't worry about the rest. When he's not playing with Alexis or working, he's outside laying down in the beach with a case of beer, getting drunk.

Reed is really worried about him and tried to talk to him but Devon just ignores him. I'm really worried about him but every time I try to say something to him, he comes back with some inappropriate comment about me. Last night he asked me if I wanted to join him, he was going skinny dipping!

And as wonderful as my man is, he's starting to lose his patients with Devon. "I don't care if he doesn't really mean it Amber," he told me last night as we laid in bed. "It's rude and insulting, he shouldn't be doing it!"

I told him I agreed with him. I want Devon to stop 'hitting' on me before Reed starts 'hitting' on him - and I mean beating him up...

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW WOW WOW WOW IS ALL I CAN SAY RIGHT KNOW

Anonymous said...

Great post, however, I'm a little confused. So whose baby is Annette (Kelly) pregnant with? Is it Devon's dad or someone elses'?

Please help.

Anonymous said...

She's pregnant with someone else's baby.

I was totally shocked but I don't get it. He was dating Janie, why not let them stay together?? Did they not like her? I hope Amber finally pipes up and says something to Janie. :)

Anonymous said...

LOVED IT.... I so appreciate your not making us wait days to get an answer - this is the best blog.

What I am curious to know though, who is the father of Annette's or should I say Kelly's baby???

Snaps

Anonymous said...

"I know they had their problems but Janie seemed so in love with Devon and he was acting a little different than he did with most of the girls he dated back then. I was waiting to hear that he asked her to marry him but instead he told me they broke up."

devon wasn't seeing anyone that's why they set him up. they didn't know he was sleeping with janie still!!

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is the best blog ever!!!!!!!!

The Middle Child said...

OH MY!

Lynn said...

Another great twist. Hope Janie can get Devon off the road he seems to be going down.
Great post!

EJ said...

awesome

Anonymous said...

For those of you who said it was Shirley who stopped the wedding: good call

For those of you who said Annette was NOT preggers: almost....she IS, just not by who we thought.

Betting has now started to see if Devon will be an ass and make an inappropriate move on Amber (probably while drunk).

:-P

Anonymous said...

Just to put my two cents in: I know Devon has been a victim of a pretty horrible ploy and has every right to feel betrayed, but he really needs to grow up and deal with it like a man.

Drinking constantly and hitting on your best friends almost-wife is extremely immature and isn't really handling/confronting the problem at all.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Devon is acting like and ass but I probably would too for a while until I had a handle on what happened to me. He needs to be told to get his head out of his ass and Reed needs to do it before it ruins their friendship. Amber needs to call Janie and catch her up to what is going on and let Janie decide if she is marring Cary because she wasn't going to be able to have Devon or if she really wants to. Janie needs to know the truth. Gossip aside.

Anonymous said...

Great post! But Amber should definitely tell Janie---unless she wants to go to another sham of a wedding!

Anonymous said...

OMG OMG OMG OMG she was PAID?!?!?! oh poor devon!! ....amber go call janie asap they need to get back together! and to anon 12:38 i totally forsee that happening...devon is totally going to make a move on amber while he is drunk and then reed and devon are going to fist fight it out!!omg that would be good! but i dont think that devon needs anymore shit in his life right now and he needs his best friend...
this blog is SOOOOOO GOOOOOOD!!!

Anonymous said...

What I don't get is why Annette/Kelly was such a bitch to Devon all the time? If she wanted to be taken care of and lived the good life - she should have taken care of Devon. It's like she didn't even try to make it work. Oh well - it's over now. Yipppee!

I'll bet Janie will never know the true story until Devon stops her wedding to Cary to profess his love for her! When are they supposed to get married any way?

Anonymous said...

I have one question (for any one to answer) are Reed and Devon's dads both named Roger? Didn't Roger and Shirley come out of the room together and Roger say he was sorry? Or should i go back and reread yesterdays post?

This was great. Never even seen that one coming. Way to good. Great twist. Now we need to get Janie and Devon back on track and have some good happiness!!

Chris

Amber said...

Wayne is Devon's father...Roger is Reed's father. I made a mistake when I wrote the entry...I'm sorry. I went back and changed it to what it should've said...please forgive me.

Anonymous said...

You really need to proof read. Also, we are capable of understanding a play on words...there is no need to clarify "and I mean beating him up".

MonkeySpeak said...

damn didnt see that coming

and chill anon really. the first comment was fine... and she changed it and apologized... but the follow-up was unnecessary. she works full time, writes two blogs on a daily basis and usually writes right after she gets home from work.

and as someone who writes, it doesn't matter if you proof your own work, you still miss a lot of things because you have a tendency to tire of reading what you have already read over and over. at work we often hand over our work to another editor to catch anything we may miss.

this is a casual setting. no one here cares if there is a mistake or two. when a professional publication picks her up, theyll let her know what is redundant, or they will edit her work themselves. unless you want to pay her to write for you, don't deem yourself her editor.

everyone is definitely entitled to their opinion and we have all had some great little debates - however, there are nicer ways of saying things. sit back, relax, and enjoy the blog for what it is - a very very exciting plot-line and a very very fun read.

Anonymous said...

Very well said gatormonkey!

To Anon 3:55, we're a pretty tight-knit blog family and we are really appreciative of the work Anna/Amber puts into this. Maybe you should get past the small/petty stuff.

Anonymous said...

Yes we are a tight knit family and because we are tight all we really care about is her AWESOME writing!!

GG

Anonymous said...

Did you hear that?

I believe that great whoosh of air is not an incoming tornado, but the collective release of all the held breath of your readers!

Beautiful job keeping us all on the edge of our seat and then really delivering on the follow-up plot twist!

Anonymous said...

I hope you aren't offended by this suggestion, but since there are so many dynamic characters in your stories (both of them), is there any way you could create a character list and have a link to it?

That way, especially for newcomers to this blog, it's a crash-course in who's who and will make it easy for everyone to go back and get a refresher course without having to search through the entire blog.

Yes, it'd probably be a good deal of work, but maybe the blog-fam could help you do this? Several of the readers also make regular comments, I'm sure they are almost as familiar with the story as you are!

What do you say ladies and gents?

Anonymous said...

I say that Anon 3:55 needs a job. Since God is taken, maybe an editor somewhere? This is someone else's blog. How 'bout you start one, make it jusssst right, then put the link to it here. We'll all stop by to critique it.
Negativity doesn't go over well with the readers here, in case you haven't noticed.

Anonymous said...

Anon 6:48--I came to this blog a little late, too. And I found that starting at the beginning is the best way to get the feel of the story. It's really interesting, and trust me, you can read through several days' posts in no time (if people don't interrupt you, that is). Don't miss out on ALL the excitement--go to her first post and just start reading....you'll be glad you did!

Anonymous said...

Hi Catrina! I'm definitely not saying don't read the whole blog, I just think a character overview would be a helpful tool.

MonkeySpeak said...

LoL - I am sure poor Amber/Anna's head is spinning! Although If any help is needed with a character list I can try and help.

Deadlines for this week are finished and I have a few slow days comin. OOOO How about a contest. What say we try and do our best to do a character list for her (lets just start with this one) and the winner gets a.... ROUND OF APPLAUSE!

If anything it can help the newcommers?

That is of course if A doesnt mind - ;)

MonkeySpeak said...

OH and I don't know if The first anon who requested the Roger/Wayne mix up and the second anon are the same person... Looking back I don't think they are and if I made that mistake my apologies! :)

Lynn said...

Here is my list:
Amber - Alexis' mom - Reed's woman
Reed - Alexis' dad - Ambers man
Devon - Reed's best friend
Janie - Ambers best friend - used to date Devon, now engaged to Cary
Chris - Ambers old neighbor when her & Alexis lived away also Nadines nephew
Lucinda - Reed's mom
Roger - Reed's dad
Shirley - Devon's mom
Wayne - Devon's dad
Annette (Kelley) - paid by Devon's parents to marry Devon
Penny - Works with Amber - doesn't seem very nice
Cary - Engaged to Janie
Nadine - works with amber at daycare Chris is her nephew
Faith - Old girlfriend of Reed's

I can't remember Ambers parents names.

Amber said...

Have I told you guys lately that you rock? seriously ~g~

As for the character list, I'll see what I can do but of any of you want to give it a go like lynn did, I honestly don't mind. Just leave it here and I'll pick one and post it up next week.

lynn - amber's parents are lenore and carl...I think, I could be wrong, I did blank on Devon's dad and didn't bother to check it out ~l~

I guess I should go and work on writing some entries...or do you all not want one today? ~l~

Jen said...

I am guessing that Devon's parents did not like Janie??

Anonymous said...

LOL!

Do you realize if you didn't post that the world would possibly stop turning on it's axis???

:-D

Anonymous said...

Ok! Do not get mad because I LOVE both blogs, but I just have a hard time buying that Devon's parents paid a girl to marry him! Maybe I'm just sick & twisted but I actually thought it was more "realistic" when it was
Devon's dad having an "affair" with Annette & getting her prego. The paying her thing seems to much of a stretch. BUT I PROMISE I STILL LOVE THE BLOG!! I STILL LOVE THEM BOTH!!!!!! And I hope I didn't offend you.

Stacey