Sunday, July 29, 2007

Can I Get Some Me Time?

I haven't been in the mood to post in the last couples days; I think Reed passed his pissy mood onto me when he kissed me awake the other morning because damn was I bitchy! I was snapping at Reed for nothing and Alexis was just irritating the hell out of me but she wasn't doing anything bad or wrong, she was just being her normal self.

Finally I told Reed he needed to take Alexis and leave because they were both driving me insane! When he was heading out the door with Alexis, I told him not to come back. I think I scared him because you should've seen the look of utter shock on his face.

"But Amber..."

"No buts," I snapped. "I don't want to see either one of you until tomorrow! I just want to be alone! Why can't I be alone?" I felt like crying at that point, I didn't feel like myself and I hated that.

Both Reed and Alexis stared at me for the longest time. "Ok," he said softly. "Let me just grab some extra diapers and stuff for Alexis and we'll head over to the house." I stepped aside to let him pass.

A few minutes later, he was at my side again. "Ok we are set." He looked a little uncertain and very concerned.

I managed a tiny smile. "You two have fun." I moved closer to him to give Alexis a kiss. "Be good for daddy and I'll see you tomorrow." Alexis gave her dad a confused look, he kissed her forehead.

"It'll be ok Princess," he told her as if he was really trying to reassure himself. Maybe he thought I was completely losing my mind, and maybe I was.

My hand slid up his arm, he glanced at my hand and then at me. "I just need some time alone," I told him again. "Please try and understand."

With a slight nod, he slipped his arm around my waist and held me tight. "Try not to have too much fun without us," he joked before kissing me. "Did you want me to call you tomorrow? Or wait for you to call?"

"I would love it if you called," I told him. "Thank you for doing this honey."

He told me it wasn't a problem, kissed me again and then made his way out the door with Alexis. Once they disappeared from sight, I closed the front door and leaned back against it. I had no plans, I didn't really know why I wanted to be alone and I was starting to think that maybe I should call him to come back but I didn't.

A half hour later, I was in my bathroom. I dropped my robe and in the flickering candle light, I eased my body into the bath that I drew for myself. Laying back with my eyes closed, I started to cry. I had no idea why I was crying; it wasn't the body shaking cries of pain or anguish either, it was a calming cry. I have no idea if that makes sense but that's how it felt.

Then, a few minutes later, the tears stopped coming and I was laughing at how silly it was to cry for no reason.

But the strange thing is, it felt damn good afterwards. I felt damn good. I must've stayed in the bath for a good hour, just sitting there enjoying the silence.

After I got out of the bath and dried off, I went into my room to slip into my pjs but as I went to pull on the pants, I spotted one of Reed's shirts sitting in the laundry basket, folded neatly with the rest of our clothes that I washed earlier. I slipped into his shirt instead and then made my way out to the living room with a romance novel that I bought before I had Alexis but never had a chance to read.

As I read, I lost all contact with the world I was in to travel, with the heroine, all the way to the 'big' city to a conference where all her hopes and dreams were waiting to be realized. I was scared like she was when she realized she wasn't alone in her hotel room and as angry when she realized the hotel screwed up, she would have to share her room with the hunky hero of the book. Ok, maybe I wasn't angry like she was, I was actually thinking it wouldn't be so bad; she was single, he was single! Who wouldn't wish to be in a hotel room with a hot man who made your whole body tremble with one look?

The book was just starting to get interesting - the tension between the two of them as they tried to share the one bed in the room was intense, someone was going to 'break' soon - when the sharp shrill of the telephone beside me scared the bejesus out of me.

"This better be good," I snapped into the phone. "Some one was about to 'get' some!"

"WHAT?!?!" Reed yelled into the phone. I cringed, blushing I told him that I was reading a romance novel and they were about to relieve some tension. "Oh," he didn't seem too impressed. "You kicked us out so you could read some trashy romance novel?"

I sighed. "No, I asked you to take Alexis for the night so I could have some time alone. I relaxed in the bath for a while, slipped into one of your shirts and now I'm relaxing on the couch with a book." I frowned. "Why are you calling? Is there something wrong?"

"No," he told me. "I thought you might like to say good night to Alexis." When I told him I would, he put her on the phone. I told her I loved her, missed her and wished her a good night. "Ok," Reed came back on the phone. "I'm going to go put her to bed," he seemed reluctant to hang up.

"What's wrong Reed?"

After a brief silence, he sighed. "I was just debating if I should ask you something." I told him to go ahead. "Ok, I actually have to questions; which shirt of mine and are you naked underneath?"

I laughed, "Reed!"

"Oh come on darling, I don't get to hold you tonight, at least give me some thing to think about as I lay in my bed, missing you."

"Ok," I grinned. "It's your favorite 'kicking' around shirt and I'm completely naked underneath." I giggled, "The shirt doesn't cover me completely, you would see my naughty bits if you were with me right now."

"You are evil!" He groaned. "But I love you anyway. Good night my love."

"I love you too," I smiled. "Good night Reed."

When I hung up with him, I jumped back into the book.

But sadly I never got to see how it ended. Ten minutes after I started to read again, some one came banging on my door. "Amber please," I jumped when I heard Janie's voice calling out to me. "I need to talk to you, let me in! Amber!"

Dropping the book onto the floor, I grabbed the blanket from the back of the couch and ran to the door. When I swung it opened, Janie threw herself at me as she sobbed. "Everything is so messed up, I don't know what I'm going to do!"

"Janie what are you talking about? What's wrong?" I stared down at her. "Where the hell have you been? It's been four days since I last heard from you!"

"I know," she sobbed. Releasing me, she kicked off her shoes and ran to curl up on the couch. "Things are so messed up! How did I screw it up this badly?"

"Screw what up? What's messed up?" I closed the door and made my way over to her. "What happened when you left here? Did you leave with Devon?"

She shook her head frantically and then started to bawl all over again. "Yes," she cried. "We went back to my place and we..." she sobbed. "We were only going to talk, he wanted to tell me something but he looked so good and I..." she sat up quickly. "He knows how to touch me Amber, he knows just where to kiss me to make me lost control..."

"You slept with him?" Janie nodded. "Did you enjoy it?" Her eyes went wide, she nodded fiercely. "Are you regretting it?" She nodded her head sadly. "What's wrong Janie?"

"We were just laying there afterwards, I went to kiss him and I saw all the bridal magazines sitting on my nightstand. I freaked, I jumped out of bed and told him he had to leave, it was a mistake and it would never happen again."

"What did Devon do?"

She groaned, "He looked hurt." She stared at me. "Really hurt, I've never seen him look like that before; he normally looked relieved to leave."

"But not this time?"

"No," she frowned. "He told me that he didn't believe he was a mistake and he hoped it would happen again. I told him that it wouldn't, I didn't want to be with him. He tried to tell me something and I told him that nothing he would say would make me change my mind."

"Oh no," I sighed. "Janie you should really listen to him, I think you will -"

"Amber I went to see him tonight, to tell him that I wanted to know what he was going to say but..."

"But what? He didn't want to talk to you?" She shook her head. "Well I guess he was probably still a little up-"

"No Amber!" Janie cut me off. "He wasn't there!"

"Well he has been..." she was shaking her head. "What do you mean no?"

"He's gone Amber," she started to sob again. "I ran into his neighbour on the way out and I asked him about Devon, he told me he saw Devon loading some stuff into his car a couple days ago and haven't seen him since."

"Maybe he is away on for work?"

She shook her head again. "I went to see his parents before I came here, they haven't seen him since the wedding and he was technically on 'vacation' at work." She stared up at me, her eyes blood red from crying. "His mom and I went to his condo Amber, there's nothing left. He's gone."

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too little too late Janie. This is what she wanted so what's she so upset about? Honestly some people can't make up their minds!!!!

Anonymous said...

I certainly understand Amber wanting "ME" time. It is nice to have no interruptions once in awhile. Where is Devon? I hope he comes back!
M

Anonymous said...

awww devon come back!!!...i agree with anon 11:22 tho, this is what she wanted she never wanted to be with him again so whats her problem right?!?!...but i still want him to come back!

Anonymous said...

Men just don't understand...women need alone time everyone once in a while.

I hope Devon is okay. Janie must really feel like crap. Wonder if she has told Cary that she slept with Devon?????

Anonymous said...

oh noo....
well you can't blame janie for not knowing what she wants. devon treated her like crap for such a long time. he was even with her when he was engaged with some one else. and it took all her strength to pull herself away from him and find some one else,who actually cares about her and wants to marry her. and suddenly devon wants her back?
i wouldn't know what to believe either. and keep in mind that janie doesn't know what's been going on with devon. sure she didn't let him explain but if he was full of crap before why would she listen to him now.I do hope that devon comes back though!!! they really seem to love eachother!!!

great post!!!

Anonymous said...

God, I hope Devon is ok. I am with Mya on this one, I would be feeling the same way as Janie b/c of the past. I wouldn't know what to believe. Great post!!

PCS said...

OOOO I see now there is a Character list!!! Nice, good idea...

Carmel Beauty said...

I agree with anon 11:22am 072907 she should not have waited to bad for her but I know this won't be the end she is just going to have to wait like the rest of ust :-)

Vikki said...

O M G!!!! Noooo!!

Darn it Janie! Why didn't she hear him out? I'm so sad :^(
Maybe he'll get in touch with Reed and they will be able to find him.

Fingers crossed!!

Great post!

ctiger said...

Oh i could totally use some "me" time too. Sounds wonderful. Even though it got interupted. Oh well at least it was Janie and not someone else. I feel sorry for both Janie and Devon. They have both been hurt so much. It is too bad they went off and made love instead of talking first, maybe he wouldn't have left. I hope he is okay. Great post can't wait for more

Anonymous said...

Mya, I hear what you are saying about Devon treating her badly and leading her on for so long but keep in mind that she let him do it. He never made any promises about leaving his fiancee for Janie and she knew that. I understand her confusion but she can only push him away so many times before he leaves for good. I agree that we haven't seen the end of Devon though! I would like to see Janie and Devon together as well!!

The Middle Child said...

What did she expect? That he'd wait around forever for her? I know she feels a committment to Cary, but she should have just told him that in the first place instead of sleeping with him.... and ultimately hurting him... like he hurt her... but turn about is not fair play... women can be so indecisive sometimes!!!

Great post, and great Q&A!! Loved it!!

Anonymous said...

oh god ..do we have to wait until TOMORROW?!?! lol

Lynn said...

I can understand both Janie and Devon's side...now if they could just understand each other.

MonkeySpeak said...

we say what did she expect, for him to wait around forever, but he kinda expected that of her too.

i think she was just trying to have self respect. she didnt respect herself for so long, throwing herself at him, praying he would go to her, thinking he loved her, and him treating her like dirt. he NEVER EVER gave her a reason to trust him, so suddenly out of nowhere, he kind of expects her to just drop all of her guards and believe him just because he is suddenly sad? I mean really cmon guys. I wish she would give him a chance, but Im handing it to the girl - its not easy to stay strong when the guy youve dreamed of crawling on his knees to you finally does. How is she supposed to know the truth when all he has ever done in the past is hurt her... and now she thinks she might have a shot at happiness and here comes those painful memories to confuse her again.

You can't rebuild all of that trust in a few weeks and you can't take away all of that hurt and Devon is still kind of an egotistical jerk if he thinks his poop smells that great that she can just forgive and forget that quickly just because HE is hurting now too. As far as she knows, its just a big mind game. I MEAN COME ON... "no one can make you squirm like I can?" or whatever the line was. Seriously, if a man was trying to prove to me he loved me he wouldnt be using sex as a tool. Now if im already in love, hell yea, all about it. But Janie's BIGGEST FEAR is that its just about the sex!!!! So having it shoved in her face is not going to help her trust him.

Devon is acting like a child by running away. He should have stayed, toughed it out. PROVEN TO HER THAT HE WILL DO ANYTHING TO WIN HER BACK... and not sleep with her!!!!!! GOD PEOPLE KEEP YOUR PANTS ON. Running away is no way to show Janie that he really does care and will do anything... it just shows her he's a coward... no matter how much I like Devon, and how bad I feel for him, and how much I want him to be with her. He is a coward for running away if that is what he did.

Anonymous said...

Ok am I the only one who saw that Reed wanted to ask her two questions and he only asked her one....I wonder what the other question is....

Anonymous said...

Good point Anon 6:32!!!

What a cliffhanger!!!!!

Anonymous said...

He asked 2 questions: Which shirt? Are you naked? Can't wait to see what happens next with Devon.

-Karen