Monday, July 16, 2007

Here Comes The Bride

Saturday morning Reed spent most of his time down the beach with Devon and Alexis, I'm not really sure what they were doing because I got sucked into hair appointments and all that jazz with Reed's mom.

When I finally got home around 1:30, I had to go down to the beach to get them to come up to the house to get ready, the wedding was at 3.

Reed was upstairs taking a shower, Lucinda was in her room doing god knows what and I was in the bathroom giving Alexis a bath. "You are going to be the prettiest little girl at uncle Devon's wedding today Alexis, and the best behaved too, right?" Alexis giggled and slapped her hands down in the water, splashing some upwards. "I'm going to take that as a 'yes'," I told her.

"You know talking to yourself isn't a good thing," I turned to see Devon standing in the doorway in just a pair of sweat pants that he changed into after his shower.

"I wasn't talking to myself," I told him as Alexis tried to lean around me to see him. "I was talking to Alexis."

Devon came into the bathroom and joined me on the floor next to the tub, he smiled at Alexis and then looked at me. "Is there anything I can do to help?"

"No," I turned to Alexis again. "We have everything under control, don't we snuggle bug?" Alexis looked like she was thinking about it and then she smiled as if to say 'yeah sure mommy, whatever you say!'

"Are you sure?" Devon asked. "I figured I should learn some of this stuff now that way I'll actually be helpful when the baby comes."

"Devon," I started but he didn't let me finished.

"I know what you are going to say Amber but please don't, I've made up my mind and nothing is going to stop me from marrying Annette today; it's the right thing to do."

"Ok," I smiled at him. "Hey Alexis, do mommy a favor?" She just sat there staring at me while she chewed on her facecloth. "Tell your uncle Devon that mommy thinks he could be happier if he only let his heart do its job," I tilted my head his way. "But I guess if you are determined to do this, then I wish you luck and all the happiness in the world Devon."

"Thanks Amber," he said and then did something that surprised me, he hugged me and not one of the really quick ones, he actually held the hug and told me that he was happy that we were friends.

"Well this looks cozy," Reed's voice came from the doorway as Devon jumped back from me. "What's up?" He asked, looking back and forth between Devon and me.

I didn't really pay much attention to what he said, my mind was somewhere completely for Reed was just wearing a pair of shorts and his damp skin glistened in the light; I was imagining me going over there, removing his shorts and attempting to 'dry' his skin with my hands, all of his skin.

"Amber?" I heard Reed call my name and I snapped out of my fantasy. "Are you ok?" He asked. I nodded, gave him a heated look while licking my lips and letting my eyes trail down over his body again before I met his gaze again.

"Ok, that's my cue to leave." Devon said as he jumped up, "I feel dirty just witnessing that little thing just now," he joked as he disappeared.

Reed came over to me and sat down where Devon was moments before, he asked me what I was thinking about just then and when I told him, he groaned. "I knew I shouldn't have asked but it looked like you were enjoying it too much not to share."

Not long after, I handed Alexis over to him and went to finish getting ready. When he had her dressed he brought her upstairs with him so he could get dressed and I could do her hair. "What do you think?" I asked him. "Should I leave it down or put it up?"

"How about little pig tails?" He asked, "I think she looks so cute with pigtails, the really curly ones that you do sometimes."

When we were all ready we went downstairs to see if Lucinda and Devon were ready to go.

Reed and Devon disappeared into one of the back rooms when we got to the church and I didn't see either one of them until they walked out with the minister to take their places at the front of the church.

And then the thing they rehearsed the night before started. Organ music played as Annette's bridesmaids walked in, followed by the flower girl and ring barer. Then the moment everyone was waiting for, the opening notes of 'here comes the bride' came from the organ and everyone stood to get a look at Annette in all her wedding finery, everyone that is except me, I was watching Reed and imagining that I was the one walking down the aisle towards him and that this was our day.

"Amber," I heard Lucinda hiss and with a quick glance around I realized that everyone else was sitting.

"Oh!" I sat down and tried really hard not to turn red and I would've made it too if I didn't make the mistake of looking at Reed who mouthed 'we're next' before he turned his attention back to the minister.

As the minister spoke I couldn't help but think that this was another reason I didn't want to get married in a church, the really long service. Even though Devon and Annette insisted on a short service, it still seemed to take forever for it to get to the good stuff, the part where the minister asked if there was anyone who had any reason they shouldn't get married.

I waited....

...but no one said anything! I couldn't believe it! I thought for sure that some one was going to stop this farce of a wedding but no one spoke, every one's peace will be forever held.

The minister went on to the next part in his service. "Do you have the rings?" He asked, they did. He told Devon to take Annette's left hand and slip the ring half way on her finger, "And repeat after me. 'I, Devon Lu -"

"Stop it!" A voice came from the crowd. "I can't let you do this Devon, I just can't!"

I almost dropped Alexis when I realized whose voice it was.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who? Who? Come on you can't do this to us. How will I make it until tommorow?

bdave00

Anonymous said...

woooohh!!!!!
who is it?? janie? devons father? devons mother??!!!!!!
please double post!!!!

Anonymous said...

I THINK IT THE FATHER, THT WOULD BE COOL OR MAYBE THE MOTHER OR JANIE OH NO ITS REED, THEN AGAIN I DNT THINK ITS THE HIS FATHER HES TO SELFISH. SO IT HAS TO BE REED. I CANT WAIT TO FIND OUT!!!!!!!

MonkeySpeak said...

It isn't Reed. The voice came from the crowd. Reed is at the front with Devon as his best man....


Itls the mother father or janie

Nic said...

Maybe it's amber.

You know sometimes when you are daydreaming (like amber was) you hear someone say something along the lines of what you were daydreaming and you think Who was that and then you realise ow wait that was me who said it.
Get it?

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE TELL ME IT'S JANIE!!!!

DOUBLE POST!!!! PLEASE I CAN'T TAKE IT

KELLEY

The Middle Child said...

It has to be Janie or his Father...

Hehe, I can't wait for the next post!!!!

Anonymous said...

1 vote for Devon's Mom!! A woman knows!!!

EJ said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

GOSHDARNIT woman. That's just mean.

I'm guessing: Janie, Devon's mom too. His dad wouldn't say crap about it. I wouldn't mind Reed speaking up but I know its not him either.

Anonymous said...

Oh man! I don't know if I can wait until tomorrow!

MH

Anonymous said...

Wow oh wow. The suspence is killing me. I so love the way you leave us hanging like that. Oh who could it be? I hope it is Janie, but if it is i feel sorry for Cary, he seems like a nice guy too. Can't wait to read more.

Chris

Anonymous said...

Best. Cliffhanger. EVER!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO????????

my guess is Devon's mother..... or possibly Janie...
~T~

KBear said...

well, if janie is at the wedding (in the crowd) maybe cary is too, and maybe HE is the one that yelled it out cause he KNOWS how janie feels about Devon..

maybe?

Anonymous said...

Please, please, please be Devon's mom!

Anonymous said...

Now that's just mean to keep us hanging like that
B

Anonymous said...

My guess is Lucinda. She maybe got some vibes from Amber and Reed that Devon is not happy with Annette. She knows what it is like to be in a "arranged" type marriage and Devon is Reeds best friend, she would want to see him happy.

Anonymous said...

OMG NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! lol i CANT wait to see what happens tomorrow!...it either has to be lucinda, janie or devons mom!!! at least someone stopped it but who?!!?!? this is going to drive me insane!lol

Anonymous said...

Ohmigosh...what if it's ANNETTE???!! She realizes that she's about to make the biggest mistake of her life & it's time to come clean!! How much would that ROCK?!

Anonymous said...

I'm the same person who left the "Annette" comment. Let me say, NEVERMIND to my previous post, I just re-read the blog and realized that the "voice came from the crowd." Whoops!

Anonymous said...

I don't care who it is, I'm just glad someone is speaking out, whoever it is. I HOPE it's Janie!!

Come on girl...don't leave us hanging any longer!!!

GG

MonkeySpeak said...

OMG I LLOOVEE the idea the Lucinda said it!

It makes COMPLETE sense!!!!

Devon's Mom might not know enough to stop the wedding, except of course, momma's intution...

BUT LUCINDA - I mean, shes been with the kids! And she knows what has been "going down." And she knows 1) What the kids are getting themselves into and 2) That while Devon's intentions are noble in protecting his mother, that living a lie is worse and while ignorance can be bliss, she's perhaps happier knowing the truth... Maybe shes stopping it so she can liberate her friend.... and they are going to start a first wives club! hahaha just kidding with the last part

but yes, I can COMPLETELY seeing it being Lucinda... Way to go Snooglemonster

Anonymous said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! New Post please!!!

Anonymous said...

NEED A POST! lol its killlllllllllinggg me ...officially and completely addicted!

Nic said...

This is really killing me. Keep checking if there's a new post.

In a week I'm off for a 12 day holiday. Not sure if I'm gonna survive without reading your blog (hmm maybe find an internetcafe, like everyday).

Anonymous said...

I've been addicted to this BLOG ever since I stumbled across it with our without her cliffhangers, I just can't seem to get enough of this blog.

You ROCK AMBER!!

GG