Saturday, July 7, 2007

Last Ditch Effort

He laughed at me, Devon actually had the nerve to laugh. "You have a wild imagination Amber!"

"Do I?" I stared at him. "It all makes sense, all the time you spend at the day care with the kids, marrying a woman you don't love who is having your dad's child and refusing to..." I trailed off. "What are you shaking your head for?"

"You have no idea what you are talking about Amber, just because Reed doesn't know everything, doesn't mean that I have some kind of hidden agenda!"

I didn't believe him and I told him so. "I really believe this is more about the baby than anything else, why Devon? You know you could be with Janie and still have kids, she wouldn't have any problems with adoption."

"Amber just shut up," he snapped at me. "You have no idea what it's like to know that you may never have children naturally."

"What?" I stared at him. "What are you talking about? Naturally? I thought you couldn't have them, period?"

He stared at me for a moment and then nodded, "Yeah that's what I meant."

I crossed my arms over my chest and glared at him. "You haven't been completely honest, have you?" I dropped my arms and leaned forward. "Can you have kids?"

He sighed, "I can't get a woman pregnant, naturally."

"What does that mean Devon?"

"It means that I can't knock a woman up without going to a clinic and having some tech play around with any viable sperm I might have." He ran a hand through his hair. "There's no guarantee that even that would work, the chances are slim they told me, but I could always try that."

"Well why..." I trailed off again.

"I can't put Janie through that Amber, I wouldn't want to get her hopes up and then not be able to give her a child." He made his way over to my couch and plopped down. "I don't even think about it, I just tell myself I can't and that's it. I'm marrying Annette because the baby will sort of look like my side of the family. I can give the baby everything it need Amber and no one needs to know anything about his real father."

"What about your mother? Devon," I went over and sat by him. "She knows you can't have children, she isn't stupid, she will figure it out."

"What am I supposed to do Amber? That baby is my half sibling, I can't have someone else raising it, they need to know where they came from."

I sat back against the couch and sighed. "You are sacrificing so much for what Devon? What do you really get out of this?"

He didn't answer me, he just told me that this was something he had to do. "It's something I feel I need to do Amber."

So I finally let it drop, I was tired of arguing with him about it. I sat there on the couch with him and I watched Alexis playing in the corner. I couldn't imagine anyone else but Reed being her daddy. I didn't anyone but Reed being the father to any of my children. I turned to Devon, he tilted his head my way. "I'm just going to say this and then I'll never say another word, ok?"

"Ok," he looked at me expectantly.

"You aren't giving Janie enough credit, she would understand the situation if you took the time to explain it to her. She's stronger than you think and she cares about you more than you know. By marrying Annette, you may feel that you are doing the right thing but can you get there and tell me that you won't always want something more? That you'll be happy with her for the rest of your life? That you won't be unfaithful and wish for something more?"

I heard keys in the front door lock and I jumped up, running to the door. "Reed!" I threw my arms around his neck and gave him a big kiss on the lips. "I'm so glad you are home."

Reed chuckled, "With a welcome like that, I'd be a fool not to be happy too."

Once he finally got me to let him go, Reed made his way into the living room where he was met by Alexis, he scooped her up and kissed her. "I'm happy to see you too."

Devon, who was sitting on the couch watching Reed's warm welcome home got up and made his way over to us. "I should get home," he said but hesitated.

"What's wrong Devon?" I asked as Reed leaned in to his my forehead.

Devon shrugged, "I was just wondering the welcome I would get."

From what I heard from Reed the next day, Devon welcome home wasn't as loving as his.

I feel bad for Devon, I really wish there was something I could do but I've done everything I could.

I just hope that he doesn't make the biggest mistake of his life next weekend.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think this ones up to janie...

Anonymous said...

I almost think I'd have to talk to Janie on Devon's behalf. She's lying to herself about being madly in love, and they're both going to end up miserable. Though it's not in my personality to 'intrude,' I think I'd make an exception in this case.

Anonymous said...

OMG! NEXT WEEKEND!?!?!?! thats so soon...come on devon save the day...or janie..come on plz!!! lol ...

Anonymous said...

Wow i can't wait til next weekend to find out who stops the wedding. I mean come on someone has to stop it. I think it will be Devons mom. Maybe she will find out about the whole thing by then. This just keeps getting better and better.

Chris

Anonymous said...

Great entry. I'd TOTALLY interfere and talk to Janie. I think that's what friends are for-to be honest with each other.

Lynn said...

I hope it is Devon's mom that stops the wedding. I'm almost sure she would have to know about Annette and her husband, it is just whether Devon's mom wants to acknowledge what she knows. Just like Reed's mom, she probably always knew how Reed's dad felt, but she never acknowledged it so she was able to convince herself that he loved her. This is getting good. Great writing!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am dying for an update. My day is pretty much over (I'm in a EST zone, I assume Amber is on the west coast - BC?) and I was hoping for an update.

I can't wait to see what happens with Devon and Annette/Janie. I would most definately be sticking my nose into this.

Anonymous said...

I need to know what is going to happen... Please post.

Pretty Please :)

Nicole

Vikki said...

Aaaaw. Its so sad!! Poor Devon!

Anonymous said...

why are all these bad things happening to devon...is it karma for ruining amber and reeds relationship? i cant take it anymore lol! he cant have children..his heart is being torn as he watching the woman he loves marry someone else...he has to marry someeone he hates...omg! devon it sucks to be you! but its not to late to change ur fate..STOP THE WEDDING!!!

Anonymous said...

Please, please, please post today!!!

Anonymous said...

please please post. your other blog has been updated twice, your killing me.