Tuesday, July 17, 2007

How To Silence A Crowd

Complete silence fell over the church when the ceremony was stopped, everyone seemed to turn in unison to stare at the woman standing at the front of the church. "Devon I can't let you do this," Shirley repeated.

"Mom?" Devon stared at his mom on disbelief, I guess of all the people he thought would try to stop his wedding, his mom wasn't one of them. "I have to do this mom," he turned back to Annette.

I was sitting only a couple rows away from the front of the church so I could barely make out what Annette said but it sounded like, "I think you should hear your mother out Devon." I didn't understand why she would say that especially when she was carrying his father's baby but as I watched her shift uncomfortably from one foot to the other, I started to wonder if I wasn't wrong when I thought there was something off.

Shirley made her way up to Devon. "I'm sorry," she said to the minister. "But I need to talk to my son right now," and she pulled him away from Annette, back through the door he came out off at the beginning of the ceremony.

When they disappeared behind closed doors with Devon's father, I turned my attention towards Reed who was still standing at the alter looking a little dazed and confused. It took a moment but he finally looked out over the crowd and our eyes locked, I motioned for him to come over.

"What's going on?" I asked him when he sat down next to me and took Alexis up.

"I know just as much as you do darling," he told me. We didn't say much else, he sat there with one arm around me and Alexis in his lap; I took a picture of them, they looked so good together.

The door to the little room swung open, everyone turned to see a red faced Devon. He ignored everyone as his gaze landed on Annette. "Come here," he demanded.

And she did, it was the first time I've seen her do anything he told her without there being some kind of argument. With her head down, Annette made her way over to Devon and they disappeared into the room.

While we waited to see if someone would come out and let us know what was going on, Reed turned to me. "You know we are here and the minister is here..."

Before I had time to say anything Lucinda leaned over to look at Reed. "Don't you even think about it! Amber deserves so much more than a bad break in your best friend's wedding!"

"Mom! I was just kidding! Amber knows that," he glanced at me. "Don't you?"

I nodded, "Of course I know that." But the way I was feeling at that moment? I probably would've said 'sure, let's do it!'

Ten more minutes passed before the door opened again, this time Devon came stalking out of the room and without a word to anyone, he walked down the aisle and out of the church.

"I got to go," Reed jumped up, handing Alexis to me. "I love you," he gave me a kiss and then took off after Devon.

Shirley came out of the back room with Wayne, he had his arm around her and she was a mess, tears were streaming down her cheeks. "I'm sorry," Wayne spoke to the waiting crowd. "There won't be a wedding today."

I watched them walk off towards the pews and gather their stuff before heading down the aisle too.

At first everyone just sat there dumbfounded, then they all started talking and finally some started to file out.

And still there was no sign of Annette. But I did see her father leave.

"Amber?" Lucinda called out to me as I headed the opposite way of everyone else. "Aren't you coming?"

I shook my head and told her I had something I needed to do and then I made my way towards the room.

I heard crying the closer I got to the door. "Annette?" Pushing the door open, I stepped into the room with Alexis on my hip. "Annette are you ok?"

"Go away!" She yelled at me. "I don't need your pity!"

"I'm not here to pity you," I told her while I closed the door behind me. "I wanted to see if you were ok." She asked me why and I told her I didn't really know.

"I should've known it wouldn't last," she told me with a laugh. "I didn't even think it would work for as long as it did."

"What do you mean?" I asked her.

She stared at me as if she was trying to figure out if she would say anything. "I guess it doesn't matter, you'll find out soon enough; Devon will tell you and you will hate me just as much as he does right now."

"I'm sure Devon doesn't hate you Annette."

"Ha!' She scoffed, "He didn't like me too much before this, he's not going to suddenly like me now!" I didn't say anything, I really couldn't speak for Devon. "I just can't believe I was this close," she held up her hand with her thumb and pointer finger almost touching. "I almost -"

The door opened with a bang. "Amber, come on!" I turned to stare at Reed who looked ready to throttle someone. And behind him was Devon, he wasn't even looking in the direction of the room.

I said 'good-bye' to Annette and I joined the guys in the empty church. "What's going on?" I asked Reed.

"We are going home," he told me. "Devon is coming with us."

The car ride back to Reed's was very tense, Devon was fuming in the back seat along side Alexis who was 'talking' to him. "I'm not in the mood," he snapped at her when she tried to give him her doll to hold on too. Alexis looked up at him, her little eyes were wide as her bottom lip trembled, Devon groaned as she started to bawl. "I just don't have any luck with women!"

I turned around to see to Alexis. "Don't cry Alexis, uncle Devon is just having a bad day but he still loves you." She looked up at Devon as if to see if he still did but I don't think she found what she was looking for because she turned back and cried harder as she called out to Reed.

Reed tried to calm her down while he drove but it didn't work. The second we pulled up to the house, Devon reached over and took Alexis from her seat, holding her as he spoke softly to her, calming her down.

Once inside the house, Devon took Alexis over to her toys and he stayed there playing with her while Reed pulled me towards the stairs leading to our room. "We'll be back in a minute," he called out.

"Oh my God!" Reed exclaimed when we were in the privacy of his room.

"What?" I watched him pace and tug his hands through his hair. "What's going on?"

Coming to a stop in front of me, Reed grabbed my arms and led me over to the bed. "I think you need to sit down for this one," he told me. "Hell I need to sit down too."

I asked him what Devon told him and he started to tell me.

I still can't believe it...and it's been a couple days. Not even in my wildest dreams would I have ever thought what he told me was even possible.

54 comments:

Anonymous said...

What was it??!

You're killin me!! LOL

Great Post!!!

Anonymous said...

what???What???? Double post!! :p

The Middle Child said...

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL TOMORROW?

YIKES! I don't know if I can hold out that long.

Double post us today, we are BEGGING YOU!

Even if it's just to tell us the scoop, short sweet and to the point.
It won't take long.
PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MonkeySpeak said...

She wasn't pregnant???? Shirley knows everything?! OMG I need to know what is going on oh clifhanger queen

and annette... saying she was thisclose. i mean, she had the affair with his dad, so doesn't that mean she loved the dad? this is all so confusing?!!!!!! and Roger? saying he was sorry?!?!?! HUHHHH... she must not have ever been pregnant... there must have been something else... something none of us knows about. WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN HIDING!!!

Anonymous said...

OH COME ON YOUR KILLING ME HERE WHAT IS IT ?!?!!?!?!?! I CANT WAIT NEED ANOTHER POST :)

Anonymous said...

NOOOOOO please you have to double post is killing me!!! PLEASEEE

Anonymous said...

okk i am going to guess i think annette was in love with devon and she made up the whole pregnant thing so she could marry him!!!!

Anonymous said...

AMMMMMBBBBBERRR!!! why are u doing this to us!!!!DOUBLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE we need it more than ever! PLZ!!! double double...
maybe she had a miscarriage and then faked it all along i dunno! come on we gotta noe today!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

***Bows***

ALL HAIL THE QUEEN OF CLIFFHANGERS!!!!


I thought yesterday's was good, but I'll be darned if this one doesn't just take the cake! :-D

Anonymous said...

totally argee with dani on this one! come amber this is going to killlllllllll me!!!! we definitely need a double! u cant do this to us!! urgh! lol

Anonymous said...

Oh i can't believe you are stopping there!! Well really i can LOL. But seriously what is going on? Why is it so hard to believe? It has to be really good if no one can really believe it. NEED MORE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

Chris

Anonymous said...

but on sunday u said that there was a beautiful ceremony ..that wasnt beautiful! lol ...i was hoping maybe janie would get married to devon instead of annette...what is up with the whole annette thing anyways?!?!?! omg! im so on the edge of my seat right now!

Lynn said...

I agree with anon, Bows to Amber!!! Bravo
I'm just racking my brain trying to figure out what it is going to be. Was Annette's father in on it. Did Annette fall in love with Devon? I can't wait to see what Shirley told Devon, what happened with Devon's dad. The suspense is overwhelming.

Delia said...

This is going to kill...it was bad enough I had to wait to see who said stop....

Oh the agony!!!!

BTW GREAT POST!!!!!!!!

Carmel Beauty said...

please double post today please

Anonymous said...

Oh come on already..... a cliff hanger here and a cliff hanger there is OK......but every day???? Give us a break and tell us what happened. If you want to leave us hanging - do it over the weekend!!

Anonymous said...

i bet it wasnt devon dad tht had the affair it was his mother and annette father, and in order to not have devons father leave his mother they came up w/ the story tht devons father had the affair w/ annette.
But devons mother couldnt let him do it so she spoke up and told him the truth

Anonymous said...

plz plz plz, double post today :)~
well my theory is that Devon's family is pretty well to do and they didn't like it that they thought that Devon was going to end up with Janie, so they concocted this story to try to force Devon to marry someone more "suitable". and annette was in love with him anyway, so she decided to take part in it.

Anonymous said...

But why was Devon's dad apologizing to Shirley?

Anonymous said...

sorry, I misread. Roger didn't apologize to Shirley, he apologized that there wasn't to be a wedding. This thing has made my brain mush

KBear said...

but if annette is in love with devon, why is she such a fricking biatch?!?!

cant wait for another post!!!

Anonymous said...

Because she knew that he didn't really want to marry her and was only doing it because he had to.
A

Anonymous said...

Just when I thought you couldnt possibly pull a bigger cliffhanger.....

Anonymous said...

BTW I don't know if there was a mix up but Roger is Reed's Dad not Devon's! So why would Reed's Dad be there with Devon's Mom?
A

PCS said...

aaaaaaaaa so not fair to leave us hanging like that!!! Cant wait till tomorrow!!! you're the best!

PCS said...

now iknow why there was a page error when i wa trying to posta coment!! theres is coment every minute there are 3 at the same time at 11:42 lol....

Anonymous said...

Wait a sec, was there a mix up in the blog posting? What the heck is Roger (Reed's dad) doing with Shirley (Devon's mom)?

This blog is killing me and I LOVE it! :-D

Anonymous said...

Shouldn't it be considered "cruel and unusual punishment" to keep us hanging like this?!

Way to keep us coming back for more!!

Lynn said...

I've been thinking about this since I read it, I even went back to check. Max is Annette's father, Wayne is Devon's dad, and Roger is Reed's dad.

How is everyone going to fit into this story.

Anonymous said...

OMG, seriously, you need to double post!! Come on!! We can't wait until tomorrow.

Great post. I am dying to know what happened. Well I guess not just me...ALL of us. PLEASE DOUBLE POST!!!!

Anonymous said...

NO!!!!!!!!!!! That's what I yelled at the end of this post! First I'm reading quietly (and undoubtedly appear to be working hard!) then I'm yelling at the top of my lungs!

Anonymous said...

i think that she wasnt rlly pregnant...

Anonymous said...

Good point Lynn. I'm going to have to go back and re-read as well to get everyone straight.

I think it's hilarious how into this story everyone is! Reading comments is almost as much fun as reading the blog itself!

Anonymous said...

Maybe Annette really isn't preggers. Didn't Amber mention that she didn't look pregnant...wasn't she supposed to already be several months along (6 or so)? Anyway, I got the impression that she was far enough along to at least show SOMETHING of a belly.

Very interesting.

Lynn said...

Catrina, I'm glad I'm not the only one trying to appear like I'm working hard while reading this blog!, and checking the comments.

Anonymous said...

Cliffhangers are in every fictional blog, that is the nature of the beast is too keep everyone coming back to read again.

And she does this well with her other blog "View from this chair".

Every blog I read, there are always cliffhangers and I am reading many!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Cruelty, delicious cruelty

Anonymous said...

LOL. I too am a member of the "Reading the Blog at Work" Club. It's so addictive! I actually get the shakes when I don't get to read either this one or her other one, LOL!

Anonymous said...

Agree with Anon 3:58....so cruel, but so awesome!

Anonymous said...

I'm posting this just to break the 40 comment mark. :-)

Great blog, thanks for posting!

Jen said...

I finally got my own blog and at a good time to leave a comment. I have been reading since the beginning and this is one of the best entries ever!!! In my opinion!

Amber said...

Hey guys...sorry about the mix up, it was supposed to be Wayne NOT Roger, some days I just shouldn't post ~l~

Tomorrow's post will explain what happened and I'll try not to leave a cliffhanger ~g~

I'm off to work...yay! ~sigh~

Anonymous said...

whose wayne again?

Anonymous said...

Anon 10:34, Wayne is Devon's dad.

Lynn said...

I wonder how many of us are members of the "Reading the Blog at Work Club". Might need to know in case I am soon a member of "No Longer Employed for Reading a Blog at Work Club"

Anonymous said...

I'm a member of the "Reading the Blog at Work Club"

WOW 45 comments on this entry, I thnk it's a new record. Way to go Amber!!!

GG

Anonymous said...

Amazing!

LOVE IT!

Anonymous said...

LOL! Maybe we should rename ourselves to "The Sneaky Readers." I'm just glad that my desk faces the door, so noone can see what's on my computer! :-P

Anonymous said...

My name is *jul* and I'm a member of the Reading the Blog at Work Club! WOW!!! What a great post!!!! Can't wait to read the next one!!

Anonymous said...

This is possibly one of your best entries ever! The blogs and set up leading up to this point have all been amazing and this entry would not have had the impact were we not all so into this story. For all those who call you Cliffhanger Queen, I totally agree and humbly request that you keep up the AMAZING work! You certainly know how to keep your audience interested!

The Middle Child said...

Okay, it's 12:30pm on the next day... I'm dying to know what's going on in the story!!!

Anonymous said...

AND I AM LEAVING TO GO OUT OF TOWN SOON AND I KEEP CHECKING TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS, I AM JUST DYING TO KNOW WHAT HAPPEN!!!!! I LOVE THIS BLOG ITS THE BEST EVER ALSO YOUR OTHER IT REALLY GOOD TOO......

Anonymous said...

You're killing us!! I have already checked your blog like 50 times already. And yes, I am also a part of "Reading your blog at work" group.

Hurry up, pretty please!! :-)

Anonymous said...

WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!