Monday, July 23, 2007

Slow Sunday

Yesterday Reed and I took Alexis to the park for a change in scenery, not that she really cared where we were just as long as we were with her and giving her all of our attention. Since Reed insisted on making a lunch and bringing it with us, we ended up staying at the park most of the day.

When we got back to my place, Reed told me that he had to go do some stuff for his mom. "Why don't you come with me?" He asked. "Mother would love to see you and Alexis."

"I'd love to honey but," I glanced at the sleepy little girl in my arms. "Some one needs a nap badly otherwise she'll be cranky," I paused and then said. "And I think Alexis is sleepy too."

Reed laughed, hard.

"It wasn't that funny," I playfully poked him in the ribs.

"No?" He reached for me, pulling me close. "It was pretty funny darling," he kissed my cheek before asking if he could tuck me in.

Once Alexis was sleeping peacefully in her crib, Reed reluctantly left to go help his mother out. "I won't be long," he told me.

Twenty minutes later, I heard a car pull up and footsteps in the steps. I flew to the door and swung it opened. "Reed that...you aren't Reed!" I stared wide eyed at Reed's father. "What are you doing here?"

"Can I come in?" He asked, ignoring my question.

"No," I snapped. "I have nothing to say to you and Reed won't like it when he finds out that you were here." I went to close the door but Roger stopped me.

"I just want five minutes of your time," he looked at me. "Just five minutes?" I was about to tell him no but there was something in his features that kind of worried me. He looked tired and older than he ever had before.

"Five minutes," I stepped back from the door and let him come in. "Reed isn't going to like that you are here," I told him again.

"Yes," he seemed a little distracted. "Are you alone?" He turned towards me, "Reed isn't here but is anyone else?"

I frowned, "Who else would be here besides Reed? I'm not cheating on him!"

"I never said you were Amber," Roger made his way over to the couch, sitting down. "I meant, is Lucinda here?" He seemed a little hopeful when he said her name but all hope disappeared when I told him that she wasn't there.

"What do you want Roger?" It was a couple minutes since either one of us said anything and I was getting more and more nervous having him in my house.

"I need your help," he told me without looking at me.

"My help?" I laughed. "Why on earth would I help you? You've done everything in your power to ruin my life, you turned to get Reed to deny me and our daughter!" I shook my head, "You are crazier than I thought if you think I would help you in any way."

"This isn't about you!" He snapped at me and I glared at him. "Lucinda left and I don't know where she is, or if she's ok. Reed isn't talking to me and there are rumors at work that he's talking about leaving the company." Roger stood up, "Is he Amber? Is Reed looking elsewhere for employment?"

"I don't have anything to say to you," I told him and then added. "If you want to know if Reed is planning on leaving or not, try talking to him! And as for Lucinda, I don't blame her for not talking to you! That was your own stupid fault! Who tells their wife that they don't love them?"

"What?" Roger paled. "I never told Lucinda that I didn't love her!"

"Yes you did!" I walked towards the front door, opening it. "That was your five minutes, not please leave."

"Amber," Roger came over to me. "I didn't tell her I didn't love her! Why would I lie about that?"

I shrugged, "Because you don't care who you hurt? Your wife, your son, or even your own granddaughter it doesn't seem to matter as long as you get what you want. But this time it looks like neither one of them is going to take it anymore." I put my hand on his shoulder and almost pushed him out the door.

"When did I tell Lucinda that I didn't love her?"

I sighed, "The night you tried to set Reed up with Faith."

"No!" He shook his head. "I never said that to her! I wouldn't!" He stared at me, "I love my wife Amber."

I almost laughed but I didn't. "Well your actions and words have shown Lucinda the complete opposite. Good bye Roger." I went to close the door but he stopped me.

"You have to help me," he said desperately. "You have to convince Lucinda to come home, it's not the same without her there; it's cold and lonely."

"You should've thought about that when you told her that you didn't marry for love," I slammed the door in his face and went to walk away.

"That doesn't mean I don't love her!" He shouted through the door. "Our marriage was arranged!" He continued, "She may have been picked for me but I swear I loved her before we said our vows!"

"Then go tell her that!" I yelled back. "Instead of using your 'power' to ruin my relationship with your son, why don't you use it to repair your relationship with your wife?"

I waited and waited but there was no response.

And then I heard footsteps running down the steps.

I watched through the window as Roger got in his car and sped off.

When Reed came home last night, I told him about his father's visit and what he said. I was expecting him to be upset that I told him father anything but he surprised me. "Good," he said with a sigh and when I asked him why, he told me that he was worried about his mother. "She's trying to pretend that everything is ok with her but I can see the difference in her, she's not happy on her own."

9 comments:

PCS said...

I thimk I missed something during my vacation
Can somebody fill me in, please?
What hapened between Reed's parents? I def missed something I did his mother move away and why is reed not talking to his dad?
I dont know which post to read to know all that...

The Middle Child said...

It's def up to Roger to repair his own marriage if it's even possible.

Anonymous said...

PCS - try reading the July 2 entry titled "happy family dinner' or something like that. It should get you up to date on Reeds parents situation

Anonymous said...

I think Reed, Amber, and Alexis should go on a LONG vacation! Then all these people can get their acts together! No--don't do that! Then I wouldn't race to this blogs several times a day!
:-)

Lynn said...

Roger is going to have to grovel, but hopefully he & Lucinda will get back together and Roger will ease up on Amber.

Anonymous said...

Ok, Roger has some nerve coming to ask Amber for help since he has been nothing but a horses ass to Amber. Doesn't it seem unusual that all the people that didn't like her (Devon, Lucinda, Roger)seem to seek her out for help.

I sure hope Devon or Janie call each other. I hope that Reed asks Amber to get married soon, that despite everything Roger and Lucinda work through their issues and I hope Reed finds and kicks some serious butt to the person who keeps crank calling Amber.

Can't wait for the next post.

GG

Sal said...

Man oh Man Roger has some groveling to do! He needs to fully explain himself!

Anonymous said...

Roger must be completely CLUELESS about women. How can you say to your wife "I didn't marry for love"...and say it in the middle of a fight no less....and not expect her to take it as "I don't love you." Especially when the bulk of your actions implies just that. Even if he does love Lucinda, he's been doing a crappy job of showing it lately.

I loved it when Amber said to him "Maybe you should use your power to repair the realtionship with your wife instead of messing w/me and Reed." (ANd yes, I know it's not an exact quote, but you ge the idea.)

Vikki said...

WOW! Roger is actually human...Who'd a thunk it? And the gall of him to come to Amber for help after the way he's treated her ALL this time. She's a better woman than me. He wouldn't have made it in the door.

Great post!

Can't wait to read the next one.