Wednesday, July 25, 2007

When Friends Visit Unannounced

I wasn't even in the door five minutes yesterday when someone was knocking. When I went to answer it, I was surprised to see Devon standing on my door step. "Hello," I stared up at him and asked him what he was doing here.

"I wanted to see Alexis," he told me. "I haven't had a drink since you told me you wouldn't let me see her, so?" He glanced past me, "Can I see her?"

I couldn't smell any alcohol on him nor did he seem like he was under the influence. "Sure," I stepped back and let him in the house. "She's -"

"Alexis?" Devon called out as he went and that's when I noticed he was holding a gift bag in his hand. "Lexi sweetie, uncle Devon has a present for you."

Alexis appeared around the corner as if she heard he had something for her and she wanted it. When she saw him, she sat up and held out her hands to him. "Dada," she said and I gave Devon a dirty look.

"I didn't ask her to call me that, it is close to my real name," he shrugged but when he scooped Alexis off the floor to carry her back into the living room, I heard him say something along the lines of 'I wish I was your daddy but I'm not.'

Despite the fact that Alexis called him daddy, I was happy that Devon was there because it gave me time to get started on supper and do a little cleaning up before Reed got home. I can't tell you how good it made me feel to hear Alexis' giggles as she 'talked' to Devon in the other room; all concerns that I had about having Devon around her seemed to disappear.

I had just finished putting the meatloaf I was making for supper into the oven when there was a knock on my door. With a quick check into the living room to make sure that they were still doing ok, I headed for the door.

"Janie?" I was probably more surprised to see her than I was to see Devon. "Are you ok?" She wasn't looking at me, she was looking at the car in my driveway, Devon's car.

"I shouldn't be here," she said quickly and went to turn away but stopped. "I didn't come because he as here, I wanted to talk to you."

"I believe you," I told her and held out my hand to her. "Why don't you come into the kitchen with me? Devon won't even know that you are here if you don't want him too."

She hesitated but gave in a moment later. "Why is he here?" She asked as I closed the door behind us but I didn't get a chance to answer before Devon's laughter came from the living room, followed by Alexis' 'talking' and giggling. "He's with Alexis?" She gave me a confused look as she moved towards the living room so she could peek in. "Why is he with Alexis?" Janie asked when she returned to my side.

"He wanted to spend some time with her," I told her.

"But why?" She looked so confused and then slowly she seemed to come up with some explanation, little did I know the extend to which she tended to go. "Is he...?" She glanced towards the living room and then back to me.

"Is he what?" It was my turn to be confused.

"Alexis...is he..." she couldn't seem to get the question out.

"What about Alexis?"

She didn't say anything for the longest time and when she did speak, I couldn't believe what I heard. "Reed is her father, right?"

My jaw dropped to the floor, if there was a pin around to drop, you would've been able to hear it as it hit the floor too. "Of course he is!" I stared at her in disbelief. "You know he is! Why would you ask me something like that?"

"I just..." she motioned towards the living room. "I've never seen him with any kids before now, he always said he hated them."

I wanted to laugh and tell her she was crazy but then I realized that she didn't know what I did. "I've told you before Janie, there is more to Devon than you realized."

"What does that mean?" She asked but I didn't say anything, I headed back to the kitchen where I started on the rest of supper. "What do you know about Devon that I don't?" She joined me in the kitchen.

"I know that he's not the man I thought he was and that Alexis loves it when she gets to play with him," I glanced at her. "And he doesn't like it when he can't get to see her."

Janie sat down across from me, she seemed lost in her own little world as I started to peel the potatoes for supper.

It must have been a good half hour from the last time she spoke till the moment I heard Reed's keys in the door. I listened to Reed as he stopped by the living room to see how Alexis was doing. "Is Janie here?" I heard him ask Devon.

I didn't hear if Devon replied to him, I really don't think he did because he wouldn't have had time from the moment Reed mentioned Janie's name till the moment he appeared in the kitchen.

"Hey Devon," I glanced over my shoulder at him but he wasn't even looking at me, he was staring at Janie who was staring right back at him. "Reed!" I smiled when he entered the room behind Devon. I stood up and made my way over to him, giving him a kiss when he pulled me into his arms. I was about to ask him if he saw Alexis and lead him out of the kitchen so Devon and Janie could be alone, when Devon found his voice.

"Janie," he said her name so softly and he started to move towards her.

"No," she jumped up and backed away. "I'm not here to see you!"

"We need to talk," Devon told her.

"No," she started towards the front door. "I don't know what you've done to fool Amber into thinking that you are a different guy than she remembers but you aren't fooling me! A leopard doesn't change his spots and you will only ever care about you."

Janie blew past him without even looking at him again.

And Devon watched her go.

Until she reached for the front doorknob. "Janie," he called out to her and she paused for a moment with her hand on the knob but she didn't look back or say anything. Devon didn't move from the spot he was in, "People can change," he told her. "But one thing that will never change is the way I feel about you."

Janie shook her head and laughed. "Great, you'll always think of me as a bed buddy." She opened the door and turned around. "I'm so over you Devon."

Devon sighed, "That really sucks," he told her. "Because I love you Janie."

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!! Devon and Janie finally come face to face.

Oh I love this story.....it's getting so good! I hope Janie sticks around to talk to Devon.

I still want to know who the mystery caller is !!

Anonymous said...

can I cry now?

Anonymous said...

OHMYGOD!!!!!please double post, please double post, please double post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love this blog!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow those last few sentences were intense. I hope she stays to hear him out. She really needs to know what happened. I know she still loves him and they could be happy together. Although at the same time i would feel bad for cary.

Chris

Anonymous said...

What a great post! I can't wait to see what happens...I have been anxiously waiting.
M

Anonymous said...

Bowing once again to the Queen of the Cliffhangers (and begging for a double post)

Carmel Beauty said...

I am doing the happy dance I just hope she hears him out and I am worried about cary too

The Middle Child said...

WOO HOO!!!!

I feel sorry for Janie's fiance though.... he's is going to be sad when he finds out she saw Devon and he will find out because Janie won't be able to control her emotion regarding the incident.

GREAT STORY WOMAN!

Anonymous said...

I have a question not pertaining to the blog if someone can helpe me figure it out. I signed up for an identity today and used it once and now when i try to use it again it tells me my password is incorrect. Now i know the password i used and have typed it perfectly and it still tells me the same thing. What can i do?

chris

Anonymous said...

Nice - she's "cruel" to us on BOTH blogs...maybe she will get a "heart" and double on at LEAST ONE!

Stacey

Lynn said...

Chris, I sometimes get that error if I don't use my whole email address as my user name with the @ sign. Hope that help you.

MonkeySpeak said...

Chris, does it have anywhere you can say "forgot password" and have them email it to you?

Anonymous said...

NICE, as usual!!!

GG

Anonymous said...

GO DEVON!!!

Nicole

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwww, how sweet : )

Vikki said...

YAY DEVON!!! I'm so excited!! You know, if you want to do a double post, we wouldn't be upset ;^)

Anonymous said...

Ok, everyone don't get mad at me, but I guess I'm in the minority when I say that Janie should forget about Devon. I've dated cheaters before and you should never go back to them because you don't know they wont' do it agian. Sorry, but love isn't everything. Even considering what Devon was doing for his dad, I think of him doing that as being stupid, not noble.

Anonymous said...

YES!!! devon u told her!!!!!!! yay! lol...hope she hears you out tho..plz!!!!! omg i want them to be together sooo badly! he loves her so much and i noe that she loves him! get together!!!

Anonymous said...

Anonymous 6:58 you said even what Devon was doing for his dad...it was what he thought he was doing for his dad. It come out that they actually paid the girl to marry Devon and the name he was given wasn't even her correct name.

There is some truth, I agree, to once a cheater always a cheater, but, Janie needs to make her choice as to what she feels is right for her, but she should hear him out and then make a decision.
I feel that she is marrying Cary to try and get over Devon, to make her hurt go away...not because she loves him.